Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 4th June 2005, 16:22
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road
Default Ignition switch turbo.

Hi everyone.

Just trying to make a start on the wiring. But it seems the colour codes on Rave between different Rover Models are different. I have a 220 Turbo coupe donor. For example the 420 diagram has Black/Green, I have Black/Yellow
There are two connectors on the switch. One 5 Pin and one 4 pin.

5 Pin:

Top of connector
More Black/ White, Blue/White, Purple
White, More White/Black

4 Pin :

Top of connector
White/Red, Black/Yellow
Yellow, Purple

I've worked out that the purple is illumination for the switch.

Anybody know where I can get these pin outs? I've checked on Rave and the 800 haynes manual.

Cheers

John
Available from eBay
Old 4th June 2005, 16:59
Enthusiast

tony-g is on a distinguished road

hi john

I had the same problem. If you use the connector with the thicker wires (higher current) it should be all you need. use a multimeter and it is very simple. Indentify the pos in from the battery then connect the multimeter to it and turn the ignition switch to each postion and identify which wire works on postion 1,2 and crank/start.

If you cannot idenify the pos from the battery then switch to postion one and check each of the thicks wire in turn until you have a pair with a circuit. Then switch to postion two. and using the two original wires in turn check the rest of the wires when you have a circuit from one of the original wire that is your pos feed from the battery.

All the other wires can be isolated, they are for other switched pos feed to windows, rear screen, radio etc. Then it just a matter of matching the correct wire to the marlin loom. Green, purple, white and brown i think.

hope this helps

tony
Old 4th June 2005, 17:41
Enthusiast

Hi Tony.

I've got 7 Thick Wires. I have no battery connected at the moment. I'll go and have a go with the multimeter now and let you know.

Cheers Tony.
Old 4th June 2005, 18:41
Enthusiast

Hi Tony.

I've been busy with the multimeter. Here are the results:

Postion 1 (Off) - No readings from any pins.

Position 2 - More White/Black shorts to White/Red.

Postion 3 (Ignition) - More White/Black shorts to both White/Red and White/Blue

Postion 4 (Crank/Start) - More Black/White shorts to both White and Black/Yellow.

Does that make sense?

Cheers

John
Old 4th June 2005, 19:23
Enthusiast

hi john

that almost makes sense

white / black is the perm pos feed from battery

postion 1 no circuit (every thing switched off) black / white would be live if connected to battery

postion 2 (auxilary) white / red out to any auxilary circuit you want to put in ie. radio

postion 3 (run) white / blue provides the switched positive for the marlin fusebox and the switched pos to the engine management. The white / red remains live to feed the auxilary circuit

postion 3 (crank) use white as output (that matches the marlin loom and use one of the remaining wires to connect to the battery perm pos feed. I think this right but i will check my crank circuit diagrams because i am preety sure the white connects to the engine management for crank
but the other two seem strange black being the major colour would suggest earth not live.

all the best
tony
Old 4th June 2005, 23:38
Enthusiast

Cheers Tony.

I see what you mean with the Black/White wire. This wire was cut. the ends looked like they had been solder at some point but not connected to each other. I thought they may have been for the key on dash immobiliser that was fitted?? I connected them up with a bit of wire to do the testing. There is also a black wire on it's own with a spade connector. Any idea what this is?

If you could check with yours that would be great.

Thanks
Old 5th June 2005, 11:17
Enthusiast

morning john (well just)

I will try to have a look a mine later. but i have been tasked with domestic duties first by the one that must be obeyed. Have you checked all the wires in both connectors to the white wire while ignition held in start postion.

the other thing is you can take the black plastic switch of the back of the ignition switch and look at the numbers on the back against each connection this should match up with numbers on the wiring diagram for the ignition switch

black wire must be an earth. could be horn, or your ingnition barrel light.

I had one thought is your donor fitted with the alarm/imobliser unit. mine is not and i am not quite sure what difference that make to the ignition switch. my donor was a 220 gti for most things except the engine which is from a 820 vittess

get back to you later
tony
Old 5th June 2005, 12:00
Enthusiast

Hi Tony.

Yes I check all the wires for the white and it only shorts to the Black white while in start position.

Ah that black plastic switch. It's only held on by two screws but trying to get at that top one is a bit of a challenge.

It was fitted with i think just an alarm but an after market immobiliser that you put a key fob into on the dash. I'll have another go at getting that top screw out on the ignition switch.

Cheers Tony.
Old 5th June 2005, 13:10
Enthusiast

Hi Tony.

I've managed to get to the switch (drilled out the switch screw things). Here is the bits on the back.

Upper level:
Top of switch IG1 : Black/Yellow

Middle of switch Bat B : More White/Black
IG2-B : Blue/White

Bottom of switch : BAT A : White

middle level : Red/White no label

Lower Level and left of the switch :

Top : yellow no label
Middle : More Black/White

Hope that makes sense!!

Cheers John
Old 5th June 2005, 17:03
Enthusiast

hi john did you get my personal message?

it would seem just the same as mine ok here we go

yellow and black/yellow isolated and not used.

white/red is postion 1 and 2 switched pos out. This connects to the marlin loom green wire that feeds the marlin fusebox.

blue/white is postion 2 switched pos out this connects to the marlin loom green wire that goes to the rear of the car and is the switched positive feed for the mems engine management relay.

white and white/black are joined together and connected to marlin loom brown. this is the perm pos feed to the ignition switch. the reason you have two wires joined is the switch is in two parts inside.

this one might need checking but it looks the same. Are you sure it is black/white and not black/light-grey like mine.

black/white or black/light-grey connects to the marlin loom white wire and is the pos feed to the start relay. easy to check if you have a circuit between the joined white and white/black and the black/white or black/light-grey when you switch to crank postion and the circuit is deed when crank is relesed back to postion 2 all is correct

hope this has sorted it if not give me a call

all the best
tony
Old 5th June 2005, 17:53
Enthusiast

Hi Tony.

No did not get your PM.

The Black/White definitely looks like Black/White and not Black/light Grey.

The black/White is at the end of the big 5 pin plug. The blue/white is next to it and the white is below it. Is this in the same position as your black/Grey?

Cheers

John