Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 8th March 2012, 14:04

hammerhead is on a distinguished road
Default Sammio Spyder registration

Help! I still wake up screaming in the night about this vehicle licensing lark and wondered if there’s anyone out there who can soothe the savage brow, or at least cancel my standing order for Valium sandwiches with a spot of advice..

When I bought my Sammio Spyder I thought I could re-register the thing once the body and chassis were into some sort of loosely allied relationship. My Spyder is a fair bit more advanced than that; most of the major kit is there but none of it is connected (brakes, wiring, fuel, exhaust etc.) The DVLA seems to imply that I need the whole kit-and-caboodle (fully up and running with tax, MOT, insurance etc) before seeking approval. The expensive bit is going to be in re-furbishing a very sad and tired engine/box/chassis, so I’d like the reassurance of a legit registration document before funnelling yet more money (and angst) down the drain.

So, thing is, if anybody out there can give me some sort of clue about their experience of getting through the LVO approval, especially in the Kent (Maidstone) area, I’d be truly grateful … and no, I haven’t sawn the rear outriggers off …….yet!
Available from eBay
Old 8th March 2012, 14:57

Paulm321 is on a distinguished road
Angry

Funny you should post this now, I have literally just got in from my inspection ay Borehamwood, body fixed to the chassis as per the others I've seen posted on here for their inspections, the lady inspector there just said straight away "that's not a finished car" to which I replied I know its at the the same stage that all the others I know of, have been inspected at, and tried to show her all the pictures of the other inspections that are on this forum, mentioned the inspections and inspector that Gary uses, she said "go there then, if you want it done here it has to be a finished car ready for the road, up to MoT standard". I asked her if it were like that how would she be able to see the full chassis and suspension etc? (considering she was in a suit and blouse and didn't look like she'd be crawling under the car at any point).
She was having none of it and took about 2 minutes to send me on my way!
Old 8th March 2012, 15:54

tlrtone is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure what to say, as I am very fortunate to be not a stones throw away from the centre Gary uses, and will be going there hopefully in the next few weeks.

I know a lot of people have successfully had the reg doc changed accordingly but I also have heard that others had struggled, but got there the end. It seems that nothing is straight-forward.

Gary did update his website with the pre-filled in forms but I suppose you're past that stage!

The other option I suppose is to arrange with Gary to come down to his station (he will attend with you) and get it doen here. It writes off a whole day for you guys, but it may be peace of mind and helps reduce the valium subscription!

Sorry I can't be of any more help, I know Gary will help where he can, and others on here will too. So good luck...I have this stage to come .....
Old 8th March 2012, 16:30

froggyman is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear the hastle you are having with the registration of your Samio. Typical, no continuity at all. I am way behind you guys having only recently obtained my donor, but feel your anguish. Maybe a good idea to start a thread with helpful and otherwise offices details to save a trip to Poole. Don't let the b--------s grind you down. Good luck.
Old 8th March 2012, 17:50

davecymru is on a distinguished road

I'm really sorry to hear about all the problems people are having. I was dreading that happening to me (it would be just my luck!) which is why i did my rain soaked day trip to Poole for mine.

I can't help but think that the lady at Borehamwood was just trying to cover her backside as she didn't actually know what she was inspecting or what she needed to do.

Before you go too far, it's probably worth writing a letter to her / her boss explaining that you're not happy with what happened as you've been a good boy and followed all of the vosa guidelines (include highlighted copies of the relevant bits) and you would appreciate formal written guidance on why she failed it, as nowhere that you can see does it state that it has to be a 'finished' vehicle as was stated verbally on the day.

Basically be nice, put everything in writing so that they have to respond, but put the ball back in their court to back up what she's said!
Old 8th March 2012, 18:00

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a right pain to me - what a shame there's no consistency nationally.

Having said that I've no idea even where my local inspection office is yet, I'm guessing Norwich or Peterborough. Anybody registered their rebody in East Anglia yet?
Old 8th March 2012, 21:11

Paulm321 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the concerns and advice, I guess at the end of the day it just means that the inspection will be done later in the build, I just took it at this stage as that's what every one else had done, thinking they'd be able to check the chassis etc, more easily. She didn't say she wouldn't change the log book, her argument was "you do intend to complete the car don't you? well just bring it back then"
So just means I've got to crack on, better to spend the time building than driving hundreds of miles and renting a trailer again, to go to the more favourable DVLA on the south coast!
Old 9th March 2012, 16:02

GazDavies is on a distinguished road

I called in at the DVLA in Manchester today to arrange an inspection. After a short wait I was shown to the person that would deal with this who told me that they could not progress to the inspection without all of the "required paperwork". Basically they wanted all of the receipts for every nut and bolt of the car. I told the nice lady that this was not a kit car and explained what I wanted. She dug her heels in more and more and started to put more obsticles in my way and told me that even if all of the paper work was correct, it would be many weeks before I could get the car inspected anyway.
I decided to walk away and gave Gary a call to make arrangement to get the car inspected at Bournemouth. I am sure that many DVLA offices around the UK are very sammio friendly but Manchester does not seem to be one of those places unfortunatly.
Old 10th March 2012, 14:05

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

This frustrates the hell out of me .....The kit was designed and built to fit around the DVLA guidlines and I consulted with DVLA through Bournemouth LVLO to get the car to fall within the guidlines ....I have had about a dozen inspected to date , no problems.

It may be because Bournemouth have been on board from the beginning that they understand it more.....

Other offices have inspected successfully , its just many offices just dont do this process very often ....if you tell an official they are wrong , it is often game over in my experience !!

I am happy to help as much as I can ...give your LVLO office my details , they can talk to me direct , Bournemouth Office can advise them also .....Keith on inspections is their reference.

Anyone wanting their application dealt with here ....no problem.

Gaz ....your paperwork arrived this morning ....booking Monday for you.
Old 11th March 2012, 10:16

hammerhead is on a distinguished road
Default Registration blues

This inspection lark is really getting to me. Thing is, if we're supposed to obtain MOT, insurance, tax disc and V5 (as Triumph Herald/Vitesse), surely the wretched thing is a road-legal vehicle anyway, albeit as a Triumph - what is the point of further registration? What makes it illegal to drive around in? There is clearly a lack of joined-up-government here; is there any point in seeking a clarification from DVLA Swansea before getting involved with the LVLO?

I'd be pleased to hear any views to the contrary, but I think I'll settle down to draught a very polite letter to Swansea in the meantime. Unless we think it's a bad idea I'll post any interesting outcomes.
Old 11th March 2012, 10:42

davecymru is on a distinguished road

I thought that if you presented it for an MOT and the V5 wasn't correct then they are well within their rights not to MOT it?

Equally, if you are driving around in a vehicle that is different to the description on the V5 then the police are within their rights to stop you and possibly even confiscate it (i'm sure i've read this on the government site, but i can't find the link)

The process we need to go through is the one outlined by Gary. i.e.

Remove old body.
Securely fix new body
Get it inspected to confirm that the body has been changed and get the V5 updated.

The problems are arising with inspectors who are not used to inspecting this type of rebody. In order to save themselves from any comebacks, they default to what they know and as that different to what we need that is where all the confusion sets in.

Quite how you recover that situation once an inspector sets their heels in..... in theory it should be easy, in practice i imagine it's a different story!
Old 11th March 2012, 14:07

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Before you write to DVLA , you might want to speak to these guys first....they fight our corner for us and can get through to depts we can't...

http://www.the-ace.org.uk

I have liased with one of their members , an old friend who goes back years on a few issues in the past ....some we have won , some we didn't..... But we have spoken at great length about re-bodying and I am confident that the kit falls within the guidlines ....what people do to their cars after inspection is out of our control , but the kit as supplied will pass inspection.

The section you will want to read before speaking to him is this one...

http://www.the-ace.org.uk/tag/chassis/

This is the bit that relates to us......

Rebodying – A clarification

Posted on April 25, 2010 by Ace_admin

There are some kits that are manufactured to fit already registered chassied vehicles and others are creating hybrids with the (almost) complete mechanicals from one vehicle with a different body fitted.

As the basic component identity of the vehicle does not change, per DVLA rules , they would not lose their ‘right to registration’ and therefore would not require SVA /BIVA.

In order to be allowable as re-bodied, however, they must still comply with the 8 point system.

DVLA Points scheme

This shows that it is allowable to also alter the engine and transmission, or other components, providing 8 points is still achievable, and still retain the original registration.

Once the vehicle has been accepted by DVLA following an inspection, it will require a different V5C description to reflect its new appearance. It is not allowable to use copyrighted names.

weed out all the monocoque stuff and there are some pretty useful points regarding seperate chassis'd cars in there....It pretty much just backs up what we all know , but nice to see it confirmed !

I only have a verbal agreement from DVLA that it makes sense to inspect the cars at a stage they can see the changes clearly ..ie. body fitted but car not finished.....maybe confirmation of that officially is what is needed ?

I'll chat to my man in the know and get his view ....

Last edited by lancelot link; 11th March 2012 at 14:12..