Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 11th July 2009, 17:49
Enthusiast

timbo is on a distinguished road

Well the MOT didn't show up too many major build issues (apart from the brakes! - managed to fix these by welding the connecting rod to the servo cleat to stop it jack-knifing), they didn't like the fuel line being secured to the rear anti-roll bar, oh yeah, and the engine wouldn't start!
This is becoming quite a problem, managed to fix it by taking the ECU, immobiliser, key and barrel out, fitting them to my original BMW, which then started, then replacing them, after which the sportster started! Very strange.
Still haven't sorted the engine lack of revs yet. It was rather embarrassing to drive back from the garage at 5mph (even if it was only 300yds)
Ah well, only a week til the IVA !!!
Old 12th July 2009, 09:03

Chris Cussen is on a distinguished road

Hi Tim,
hope IVA goes OK, I'm sure you will provide a full report to send me into a complete panic!
I'm off to Portugal for 10 days, so I'll have only 4 days to sort everything out when I get back. At the moment I'm in the process of fitting the hood incase it rains on test day - only the frequent showers have stopped any progress as I have to work in the drive.
Old 12th July 2009, 15:08
Enthusiast

Thanks Chris, yeah, will let you know how it goes. I've decided to trailer it down after the problems I've been having!
Have a nice hol!
Tim
Old 14th July 2009, 16:32
Enthusiast

Well, I'm trying to get a replacement DME, EWS and key for my BMW, which is an automatic, but the guy from FAB (after explaining that I'd taken the ECU etc from a 2.8 auto and put it into a 2.5 manual) reckoned it shouldn't work at all (!) despite the part number being exactly the same.
The auto ECU has to wait for a signal its in park for the engine to start. Well as it can't do this because its a manual, so god knows how it starts in the sportster, but maybe its confusing the hell out the ECU which is why its having intermittent starting problems?????
And I thought it would be easy.....
Old 14th July 2009, 16:51
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

is the signal from the autobox on/off?

The ecu/engine in Richard's compact came from an auto. Just took the auto related bulbs out the dash module and it worked fine, did have match key/ews etc with it though.

The ECU will have a 2.8 map on it, so I dunno if that will work very well on a 2.5.
Old 14th July 2009, 20:50
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Maybe the signal lead from the autobox ECU is left floating and needs to be 'tied' to either +12v or ground. that might explain the intermittant start?

I'll have a look at the Bentley wiring diagrams again and see if I can find the autobox connection.....

Otherwise, it could be a fault in the loom in the Sportster with an ittermmittant connection? That could be a nightmare to find. I wonder if your DME is detecting a fault somehwere and going into 'limp home' mode? (assuming BMW's have such a thing?)
Do you have the diagnostic plug wired to see what fault codes there are?

I assume you had it running quite well before when you drove to the aborted SVA test?

...peter

I've had a look and there is a a white/violet wire that goes from pin 6 on the DME module 2 to the autobox controller. It's marked as a digital signal so I think its some kind of diagnostics connection? I'd forget that idea and look for a loose connection in your loom.

Last edited by peterux; 14th July 2009 at 21:55.. Reason: update
Old 15th July 2009, 12:58
Enthusiast

Thanks guys
After more digging around, we discovered a loose connection with the throttle sensor, and also the MAF sensor was knackered (easy enough to replace with the one from my non-drivable BMW!!). Result: engine now revving fine again
Doesn't explain the intermittent start though, we think it only happens when the engine stalls (and not always then), maybe it doesn't send the code back to the key sometimes when this happens?
Still can't get the speedo working and haven't had time to weld in the seat belt anchorage bar, so I know it will fail the IVA, but will just try to get as many jobs done between now and Friday as I can, including fitting the hopefully IVA-proof new seats!!
Tim
Old 16th July 2009, 18:03
Enthusiast

Looks like the intermittent start problem was caused by a loose earth connection, probably as a result of digging the ECU out and putting in back in amongst the wiring jungle too many times!
Had a great run out to the garage for a test drive this morning, about 15 miles round trip, was going really well (wish I knew what speed I was going, but it felt quick!!).
Must sort out those wobbly front wing stays though ....
Old 16th July 2009, 21:16
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo View Post
Looks like the intermittent start problem was caused by a loose earth connection, probably as a result of digging the ECU out and putting in back in amongst the wiring jungle too many times!
Had a great run out to the garage for a test drive this morning, about 15 miles round trip, was going really well (wish I knew what speed I was going, but it felt quick!!).
Must sort out those wobbly front wing stays though ....
Good luck with the IVA.....

...peter
Old 17th July 2009, 08:37
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Good luck Timbo. I hope that it's not raining as much in Bath as it here!

Robin
Old 17th July 2009, 08:56
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Good luck