Yeah going to be busy, list as long as to finish including finish fabricating the exhaust, put some seats in and wheel arch/liner extensions and a load of little time consuming bits to tidy it up.
Still waiting for 'A' pillar cappings but booked in to Birmingham SVA so hoping Norman can come along maybe with a pair off one of the other cars if mine arn't ready in time.
As for mapping I had a few problems biggest of which was the cooling system wouldn't work. Noble sorted that out for me - rerouted a few pipes and blocked off one unneccesary connection and it is now o.k. apart from the heater doesn't work at idle.
Engine could only be mapped up to 3,000 rpm because thats when the turbo started to run away on its own - 1 bar boost and rising with the waste gate wide open, potentially 500+ bhp for a very short while! Turns out the exhaust system is too free flowing so too little back pressure. Turbo has been back to Turbo Dynamics this week to have the wastegate ported 3-4 mm bigger which should hopefully bring it back under control and max 8-10 psi boost. Only fastened it back on today so not had a chance to test it out yet. Have been assured that it will pass emissions test so can have the top end mapped after it is registered etc.
Good luck Ken, i've nagged norman about the a pillar cappings a few times, he said he'd pick them up either today or tomorrow.
If you need any other bits/help let me know, most of my interior is out at the moment so its easy for you to borrow anything if you need.
Spoke to Norman yesterday, he had picked up the cappings and was putting them in the post today so should have them tomorrow or Thursday.
Have been cracking on with my list but tonight I took it out for a bit of a road test on some quiet roads around work and there were some very noticible rattles in the doors and from the dash. The door ones were the handle and lock rods banging against the inner door skin - fixed with a bit of pipe lagging and an hours worth of contorsion trying to get my hands in through the little openings and up past the glass.
Anybody got any ideas what might be causing the rattle behind the dash?
One other quick one - is there a minimum size of letter for the chassis number? I stamped mine in tonight with 3mm punches but they don't look very big.
In the end I got a nice chassis plate professionally made with the phantom logo on it and its welded on, but for the inspection i just stamped one in at the front above the rad with letter stamps, the didgets are probably only 5mm high?
So long as its clear it should be ok.
Pop riveting on is technically not OK according to the rules, it has to be welded on or stamped into the chassis. Might be worth playing safe as the last thing you want is to fail due to that! I got away with it with my Libra but that's a fibreglass monocoque and no other option so they let it pass...
It was one of the SVA guys at Birmingham who said about pop riveting and I machined one up in ally plate today and riveted it on tonight, hope he can remember the conversation on Monday or he can read the 3mm stamped number which is still there.
You will, they all do in order to prove you've used new bits.
As you've already got the receipt, just get one made up to say you've had the engine reconditioned to as new standard, you've prob got recipts for all the other bits like suspension etc...
If you can get one for steering column as well.
See if you can get someone to just put a couple of tacks on the plate youve done, then it will be fine, mine only had a couple of tacks on it.
Bit difficult welding ally to steel. Might have to invest in a set of 5mm punches.
Could possibly get a plate machined up in s/s in time but a bit reluctant to get the welder near the car now with the painted body on plus a load of electronic goodies fastened on.
All was going really well, a few things had been looked at quite closely and the round lump had been brought out to check some stuff on the front, emissions test based on engine age (April 1995) was for non-cat but with a CO reading of 0.15% and HC reading of 50 it would have sailed through a cat test anyway. When it was put on the ramp the tester found I had forgotten to put in the split pins on the castle nuts on the front upright top ball joints - easy to put right on the yard. But then it was time for the brake test, failed on the drivers side handbrake caliper not opperating - the cable and the caliper pivot arm were moving freely but there wasn't any braking plus the front/rear brake balance was out, too much braking on the rear axle so the rear would lock up before the front.
So when I got back tonight split pins have been installed, the secret brake bias valve has been adjusted and the rear handbrake caliper has been stripped and reassembled. I had thought it might have siezed up but it was just badly adjusted and without any hydraulic circuit opperating on the piston the self adjustment mechanism would not work.
Anyway all sorted now so 8.00 a.m. tomorrow I shall be on the phone to book my retest.
Re-test today at 2.00 p.m. Passed this time no probs!
Only thing was I called in at Shrewsbury DVLA on the way back for licencing and they said the only inspect on a Tuesday and they were full for next week so earliest would be 8th May. Will try Chester tomorrow or Bangor even.