Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Show off your cars > Show us your Kit Cars

Show us your Kit Cars You've just taken 2 years to build your pride and joy, right? Then why not show it off here. Let us see your creations.

Old 2nd December 2009, 08:28

rogerst is on a distinguished road
Angry Lomax 223

Hi all,
Can anyone shed any light on how to contact the Cradley motor works so that I can get on restoring my Lomax 223.
Every number I try to ring is either not avaiable or goes through to ansa phone.
Do they still exist.
Do they want to sell stuff.
Are they even interested.
Thanks in advance.
Available from eBay
Old 2nd December 2009, 08:39
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

Have you tried the contacts on here:

http://www.sportsandleisurecars.co.uk/index_005.htm

You could also try calling these guys:

http://www.wildmoormtc.co.uk/

As they are listed as agents. They may be able to tell you if Cradley are in the land of the living.
Old 2nd December 2009, 10:29
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

I feel your frustrations.

It seems there are more companies providing poor customer service than good. And they are all British based in the UK. I was thinking it was me!
Old 5th December 2009, 08:24

rogerst is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOldOne View Post
Have you tried the contacts on here:

http://www.sportsandleisurecars.co.uk/index_005.htm

You could also try calling these guys:

http://www.wildmoormtc.co.uk/

As they are listed as agents. They may be able to tell you if Cradley are in the land of the living.
Thanks for that guys
I have been in touch with wildmoortc and they were very helpfull.
It seems that cradley motors is going part time but I have been given a number to get hold of them.
Old 2nd May 2010, 10:21

ElectricDriver is on a distinguished road

A lot of kit-car manufacturers are now being run on a part time basis. For a lot of them it is the only way they can keep going. Unfortunately that often makes customer service and support a bit of a struggle.

From what I can make out, it appears that the mid to late 1980s was the heyday of the kit-car industry and ever since it has become more and more expensive for the manufacturers to keep up with the latest legislations.
Old 11th September 2010, 23:48

slow max is on a distinguished road

Hello,
Cradley motor works has gone very quietly recently. According to the owner of the company and the moulds for the Lomax and rights, there is not enough interest in new kits and parts to make a profit. This is probably due to the cost of second hand ones. The cost of materials alone to make new kits is greater than the cost of second hand complete cars that need tidying up. He still has all of the moulds and may consider manufacturing parts to order, but this is very much a "when i have time" way of producing parts. The rarity of a decent platform and increasing difficulty to get through the MSVA is also hindering progress. I would check out the Citroen Specials Club website and online forum if you wanted to know more information.

Personally, i think it is a great shame as many people have tired looking cars that could do with a new panel or two, and do not have the expertise to re-fibrglass them or take moulds and make new panels themselves. Some things, like cycle covers you can buy from other manufacturers, but the tub an bonnet are very unique. Depending on what you need to complete the restoration, i would also have a look at the Lepatron, as the tub and bonnet are very similar. There is a dealer on EBay if you would like me to send you the details.

HTH,
Niall
Old 13th October 2010, 22:29

Paul Narramore is on a distinguished road

Niall

I would disagree with your point about "people having tired looking cars and not having the expertise" etc. Once one owns the car, what else is needed? Provided there is no serious accident damage (and this can be rectified) and fibreglass repairs can be carried out but just about anyone. I'd recommend the GRP owners bible HOW TO RESTORE FIBREGLASS BODYWORK by Miles Wilkins (ISBN 0-85045-556-1) a brilliant book on the subject.

Years ago I met and chatted to Miles Wilkins at a class car do down in Brighton. He showed me a superb early Lotus Elite on display there. He'd restored and painted that car some fifteen years earlier and it looked brand new.

So for anyone with GRP problems, I highly recommend that book.
Old 21st April 2011, 07:21

Roger

So what is your progress with your Lomax? Did you get the parts you need? What parts are you looking for?

There was a lengthy item in a CSC magazine about the proprietor Bob Bousell, who owns the rights to the Lomax car, and it seems he was making so little money from them he had to get fulltime employment. It also seems he visits his 'factory' every Saturday to answer mail and do bits and bobs.

Someone else is now making duplicate parts for the Lomax and sells these (expensive) parts on eBay.

I am currently building a 223, a build which originally started in the early 1990s. The then owner passed away and his widow sold the unfinished car on eBay, so I was fortunate to inherit 95% of the parts to continue the build.

Paul
Old 27th April 2011, 11:16

Dpaz is on a distinguished road

I know it's been a while since this thread but check out BRA they seem to be doing stuff with lomax. I found them on this site
Old 5th December 2011, 12:50

Since I replied to this thread I've met Bob Bousell a couple of times and been to his workshop down in St.Leonards-on-Sea. I'm now clearer what all the mystery is about. When Lomax's eventually went bust, Bob bought the rights to the company name as well as molds and jigs&fixtures. He has virtually saved the Lomax from disappearing without trace.

However he has found it difficult to make a decent profit. This year he has sold (abroad I think) two complete kits. He is still prepared to make parts and bodyshells, as well as offer advice. He's made for me a pair of updated mudguard brackets, far better than the original ones. Because Bob has struggled to make a living out of the Lomax kit, he has had to get a job so only goes to his workshop at weekends. He has also had personal problems which have since been sorted out. Bob is in effect running the business as a hobby, but at least he's running it.

I hope this makes things clearer.