A bit quiet on here for a while. I've been messing with my adaptor plate for a few weeks. Using the one I'd had made I've started on work my own.Taking the measurements I've had one machined in hard clear acrylic and by using a centre machined to fit the crank it fitted onto the v6 perfectly.
Then by fitting the centre to the mr2 gearbox input shaft I've offered it up to the gearbox and aligned the two.Unfortunately one of the 2 bolts/dowels that align the adaptor plate to the v6 engine (used to align the gearbox usually) collides with the output cover plate on the gearbox. Also 3 of the 7 bolts on the cover plate will bind also. So this got me thinking!!
First up I removed the cover plate on the mr2 gearbox to have a look. My luck was in as it's just a flat 10mm alley plate so I can change the 3 offending bolts to either countersunk bolts or cap head bolts and counter bore the plate.To over come the alignment dowel I'm going to have to increase the thickness of the adaptor plate from 10mm to 20mm. Because of this I'm going to switch from steel to aluminium for the plate.
Now where the gearbox cover fits I'll remove 10mm of metal from the plate so keeping both alignment dowels in the plate. I can also remove some metal so I only have to counterbore one hole for the bolts.
Before I have the final plate made in alley I'm have another one machine in hard acrylic to check everything fits.