Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 19th November 2012, 14:23

garyh is on a distinguished road

I am thinking of fitting an MX5 engine and gearbox due to the cost of rebuilding and i need a new head as i broke the corner off... Any thoughts?
Old 19th November 2012, 14:41

MoriniMan is on a distinguished road

The gearbox is quite big and very long. The engine is also pretty tall because it's DOHC rather than pushrod.

You won't have my starter motor clearance problems as it's top right of the bellhousing and on the engine side. A standard MX5 prop is the right length where I've got me gearbox and would just need an adpator plate to fit the diff. It's possible to move the gear lever forward about 4 inches if it's a MK1 type like mine.
Old 19th November 2012, 15:01

It is a MK1 MX5 Eunos Import 1.6, can i leave the chassis alone? Or what about a 1.6 LITRE 711 CROSSFLOW XFLOW?
Old 19th November 2012, 21:00

I put a tuned 1700 X-flow in the Herald chassis under my Moss Roadster with no problems. It was so long ago that I had no difficulty in finding the close(er) ratio 1600E gearbox. Twin 40 DCOEs kept the height down.

My V6 is sitting over the front crossmember (sump modified to fit). I've got plenty of clearance in the centre of the bonnet, it's the outer edges of the cam covers that are tight. I don't know the dimensions of the MX5 engine, but it is tall and I think actually longer than the V6.
Old 19th November 2012, 21:55

Paulm321 is on a distinguished road

The MX5 engine and box fit quite easily, if you google Herald or GT6, MX5 engine swap, quite a few have been done before. If you set it back a bit there's minimal (no worse than a Vitesse) bonnet clearance.
http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/...011640x480.jpg
http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/...012640x480.jpg

Last edited by Paulm321; 19th November 2012 at 22:04.. Reason: adding pic's
Old 20th November 2012, 13:18

Paul, did you get your mounts made? The fit of the engine looks really good and no cutting of chassis. I'll see if i can get the good lady to give me my allowance.
Old 20th November 2012, 16:07

Where did your gear lever end up and what's the prop line like?
Old 20th November 2012, 19:12

I made the engine mounts the same as the one's in this thread http://retrorides.proboards.com/inde...=118411&page=8
Will put more pictures up soon, The gear lever lines up fine too,

Not fitted prop yet but others have done it to original axle, hopefully once I've had it running for a while I will swap the MX5 rear subframe complete.

Last edited by Paulm321; 20th November 2012 at 19:16.. Reason: added more
Old 20th November 2012, 20:17

Can i use the triumph clocks? Those mounts look simple enough to make. Paul have you used that build to go by?

Last edited by garyh; 20th November 2012 at 20:28.. Reason: Looked at retro rides website
Old 20th November 2012, 20:38

You can, it is more difficult, but there are a few that have done it, this blog is one example; http://gt6transformation.blogspot.co...&max-results=7
I have tried to use everything from the Mazda, so have swaped the fuel tank complete wiring loom and dash, seat belts, steering column and brake master cylinder as I want the reliability and driveability of a modern car. Hopefully most of it will be hidden and I'll still have the classic look though!

As you can probably tell by by the different links, I have googled and researched it a bit and there is alot of people doing this type of conversion, did you notice the engine mount one is in New Zealand!!

Last edited by Paulm321; 20th November 2012 at 20:43.. Reason: more info
Old 20th November 2012, 21:36

I have a slight concern about the DVLA's approach to welding on engine mountings. We know that even when the regs are clear individual centres can take very different positions.

Someone like Speedy cables can make up a hybrid Mazda/Triumph cable and recalibrate the speedo to suit. I don't remember how the Triumph tach is triggered, it may not be directly compatible with the Mazda ignition. There are adapter circuits on the web.
Old 20th November 2012, 22:02

If the welded mounts are an issue this sort of thing would be a solution.
Old 21st November 2012, 08:19

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriniMan View Post
I don't remember how the Triumph tach is triggered, it may not be directly compatible with the Mazda ignition. There are adapter circuits on the web.
The Triumph Tacho is mechanical - cable driven off the distributor. There are lots of electric tachometers on ebay though, including seven inch 'monster' tachs starting at about thirty quid. I had planned to use one of those myself, but couldn't find one that didn't have modern graphics on the dial, ususally including the words 'Type R'. It's probably relatively easy to repaint/reprint the graphics, but I ended up fitting a Porsche 550 style three gauge dash in the end so stuck with the Triumph tacho.

Engine mounts look great btw.
Old 21st November 2012, 08:24

Engine mounts, not very elegant... Still don't what to do, trying to keep cost down and wife off my back! Does anyone out there have a MK1 Vitesse cylinder head in good condition that i don't have rebuild...
Old 21st November 2012, 08:30

AndyP57 is on a distinguished road

The Spitfire 1500 tacho is electronic and fairly inexpensive. (Also looks the same as the earlier ones) I got one off eBay for about £20
Old 21st November 2012, 08:32

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyh View Post
Engine mounts, not very elegant... Still don't what to do, trying to keep cost down and wife off my back! Does anyone out there have a MK1 Vitesse cylinder head in good condition that i don't have rebuild...
No to the cylinder head, I'm afraid, but there's a complete 2500 engine going cheap on ebay -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Sp...item337de43ae2
Old 21st November 2012, 12:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyh View Post
Remember you can swap the suspension towers to have the mounts at the back where they might line up better and the DVLA shouldn't object to any mods to them because they're a bolt on part (doesn't mean they won't try).

The MX5 engine is quite retro looking for a modern twincam. It doesn't weigh much more than the inline four Triumph either. A set of DCOEs or throttle bodies and a Megasquirt would probably allow it to fit with no bonnet cutting.
Old 21st November 2012, 17:08

The MX5 engine is quite retro looking for a modern twincam. It doesn't weigh much more than the inline four Triumph either. A set of DCOEs or throttle bodies and a Megasquirt would probably allow it to fit with no bonnet cutting.[/QUOTE]

Or this is another carb solution;
Old 21st November 2012, 17:19

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

That is a very neat installation. Is it running a Triumph or Mazda diff?
Old 22nd November 2012, 19:49

Running Triumph rear I believe, build blog here; http://retrorides.proboards.com/inde...t&thread=35482