Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 7th May 2015, 11:39

andysharrock is on a distinguished road
Default cat c question

hi all question for you I know if you have a kit car and right it off they dont
cat c it because they can not do a vic chick on a kit car. This is because its built of different parts and the numbers do not match. but what about buying a cat c car to build the kit on with minor body damage what I am taking off anyway. so dose it need to go for a vic first to get a logbook or build it then ask
Available from eBay
Old 7th May 2015, 12:07

Danny_HUFC is on a distinguished road

Im not 100% sure on this but i seen a completed ferrari 360 replica built on a newer mk3 (i think it is) MR2 (the 1.8vvti ones). It sold on ebay for £5k ish because the origional mr2 was cat C and they didnt have a log book because it didnt have the vic check. It was sold as 'export only'. This to me says that the owner couldnt achieve the vic check on the mr2/360 replica.

If anyone knows any different then this is somthing I'd like to know also
Old 7th May 2015, 12:12

I have got a bmw z3 lined up 500quid will make a very nice 250swb,it can always have the vic first although it will be hard not to pull it to bits the minuet I get it home if I have to wait on the vic.
Old 7th May 2015, 12:47

Danny_HUFC is on a distinguished road

I know what you mean but if your ever considering selling the SWB then id consider paying an extra £1,000 for a donor. At least you could scrape a few quid back on the un used parts.
Old 7th May 2015, 14:03

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road
Default vic

A cat C must have a VIC check before a new V5 is issued. It is only to confirm the identity not the quality of repair.
I would suggest that any Cat C car be taken for a VIC test before you start cutting it about too much. If bad you will have to trailer it in.
The last few cars that I have taken in were all ok to be driven, so just insured them for the day and got them passed. The testers are normally very friendly and helpful, it's not like an MOT check.
A Cat D does not have to be checked.

The VIC check is normally just 10>14 days too book. The drive over is a good chance to drive it first as well. I normally stop off at the MOT station on the way back to check nothing bad has happened that I haven't spotted. Much cheaper to spot it now than after you have spent thousands on your kit only to find the chassis is bent.

Last edited by Jaguartvr; 7th May 2015 at 14:06..
Old 7th May 2015, 15:17

my side line is building up accident damaged cars so I am up with the ins and outs of what to do. just wandering if anyone had info on the kit side and catc I will stick it on piston heads see what there come up with. end of the day its worth 3 times what I paid if I break it or pos just sell on.
Old 7th May 2015, 16:22

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

If you do sell it on can you let the bonnet pins and the plates they are attached to fall off in my direction.

I have a set of hinges but the pins all seem to go with the bonnets and I don't want a whole bonnet.
Old 7th May 2015, 16:32

Tribute Automotive is on a distinguished road

Our original red MX250 demo car was a CAT C and was VIC checked after the body conversion was complete but before re-registration was done. It didn't cause a problem for us. You won't get a V5 until the VIC check is done either way.
Old 7th May 2015, 19:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribute Automotive View Post
Our original red MX250 demo car was a CAT C and was VIC checked after the body conversion was complete but before re-registration was done. It didn't cause a problem for us. You won't get a V5 until the VIC check is done either way.

thanks thats more or less what I needed to here just one more question what did it say on the log book after did it still say damaged repaired or what every there say can not remember.

The cars on a 02 plate only got damage to the boot lid area 2.2 manual full service 115k on clock just had a new bonnet cost him 900quid what a bummer
Old 7th May 2015, 19:19

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

A cat C will have "substantially repaired and/or accident damaged, identity checked on ../../.." on the front of the V5.
Cat D has no marker on the V5