Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 25th April 2005, 22:08
Enthusiast

holgate86 is on a distinguished road
Default sva and emission requirements

I have just obtained sva manual and worked through the emission requirements.
ALL vehicles manufactured from august 1 1995 require catalyst test, meaning your donor engine age. If you require age related then your registration document will prove age.
A manufactured date of August 1 1992 to 31 July 1995 will more than likely require a catalyst test in our case with most Rover donors. If it is originally fitted with a catalyst emission system and it falls within the above dates it will require a cat test.
The only way to avoid a cat test is to use an older donor vehicle, or if you are building with all new parts use an early engin (proof of age required).
The only Rover vehicles post 92 that do not require cat test is metro fitted with carb. I have tried to make this as clear as possible and hope its of some use. Brian
Available from eBay
Old 26th April 2005, 11:12
Enthusiast

tomboysexi is on a distinguished road
Default Well Done Brian

Thanks mate,

I, think I'll carry mine in my pocket to the test centre then produce and fit it, if required. I think my Donor is one month outdide your limits.

Regards Trev
Old 27th April 2005, 18:11
Enthusiast

Default emissions

I forgot to say any vehicle registered prior to august 1 1992 will only require non cat test even if fitted with cat originally. The limits being 3.5%co and 1200hcppm. The original registration document will prove age of engine. Brian.
Old 26th May 2005, 17:21
Enthusiast

Default cat emissions

It appears that any donor pre 95 will not require cat test, because our vehicle is not in the mot database it defaults to non cat test, they don't go by donor vehicle. brian
Old 26th May 2005, 19:28
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

Hi Brian

The engine I'm was going to use has not been in any car as it was sold as new never used. The gearbox is a recon unit that was in the donor. The bits not new but cleaned up and reconed are: Brake Calipers, handbrake lever, stub axles and hubs, gear lever assembly, fuel pump/sender unit. I know the registration process says one recon item but does that include all the other odd bits above needs to be new to register as a new reg?

Can I if there is no donor car for registration going with the new engine still not have to do the cat test?

How far have you got to go before your finished Brian?

Cheers

John
Old 26th May 2005, 20:37
Enthusiast

Hi John,
I think the position if the engine is not from donor in order to avoid cat test you would have to prove in some way what its original year of manufacture is, iether by engine number and possibly a rover dealer giving you evidence as such. If you have original donor registration document I would suggest sending it off stating engine change, then when it comes back you can get age related plate from donor. If you state parts are from several sources you may end up with a q plate. I have just had my sva and they cross checked engine number with registration document from donor. I think you will find some good information on sva and registration process on http://www.totalkitcar.com/home.shtml good luck mate. brian.
Old 26th May 2005, 21:03
Enthusiast

Hi Brian.

That's a great link for everybody to look at. It's clear and in laymans speak!!!

So are you now on the road Brian. Any pictures?
Old 26th May 2005, 21:21
Enthusiast

I have a few failure items to sort out (see my other post) and then the registration process. I'm hoping I can get sorted before my Hols in 5 weeks. I still have a lot of work to do to it, it needs a paint job for starters . Brian
Old 26th May 2005, 23:06
Enthusiast

tony-g is on a distinguished road

I agree with brian the best way to get your engine to be correct with the year or your donor ( if your engine is not the one from your donor) is to tell dvla you have replaced your engine with engine number xyz. DVLA will the replace your log book and that engine will then be on your log book and will be assessed as per the year of the donor. the sva will not be able to dispute that the engine not from the donor vehicle

all the best
tony
Old 27th May 2005, 05:30
Enthusiast

Hi Brian.

Are you using the same speedo and wheels/tyres combination as the donor? Just looked at the Rover Parts list and they have different speedo's for different tyre sizes. This is for a donor 220.
Old 27th May 2005, 20:39
Enthusiast

Default speedo

I have rover 25 instruments and 820vitesse turbo box, I tried to find different speedo drive gears that might solve problem but had no luck. The wheels and tyre size are different to 820 (smaller) so I should get better accelleration with a reduced top speed. Brian.