Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > General Build Chat

General Build Chat Area for general build chat, questions, tips, tricks and progress

Old 20th May 2009, 21:58

Andy_PD is on a distinguished road
Default TDI PD Kit Car - Help!

I know this one's going to split people and maybe cause anger but i've decided to give it a go, i think!

I have, well had, a 54 plate Golf with the 150 TDI engine. Some t**t in a beemer on his mobile decides to not stop behind me at the lights and try to drive through me! My car was an insurance write off but i've bought it back off them as i know the running gear is absolutely fine and the engine is sweet as a nut. I've had it in my mind for a long time to build a kit car and am seriously thinking about putting the engine from my Golf in it. The engine itself is putting out about 220bhp and around 315lb/ft of torque.

What i'd like to know, from any one willing to offer help, i know there'll be some die hard petrol heads who are taking the contract out on my head as we speak, is it possible and what car would be best to use?

I'd love the Caterham/Westfield shape but not sure how easy it would be to convert a front drive engine to rear drive. How much of a problem it's going to be keeping the car in a straight line, given the high torque in a car that will weigh half of what the donor car does.

I've been looking around the internet and not really found anything except a thread from this site that was started 5 years ago and nothing seems to have been mentioned since. Has it been done and found to be a complete failure or will i end up a pioneer, as it were?
Available from eBay
Old 5th June 2009, 20:36
Enthusiast

EddyP is on a distinguished road

Go out and buy PPC (Practical Performance Car) magazine, they've been doing a westfield using a PD lump.
Alternatively sell me the wreck cheap so I can use it in a kit i'm doing
Old 5th June 2009, 21:12

Nice one mate, thank you very much! I'll have a look for that tomorrow.

I'll get back to you about the wreck mate
Old 5th June 2009, 22:32
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

A couple of words. Go for it!

I found with a kit car, you can put near any engine within a certain limit to any kit car.

My car was made for a Rover. But having a VW 1.8T fitted. So long as you have someone to do the fabrication (engine mounts etc) then your away.

MEV guy had a Ford Diesel in it in the latest Complete Kit mag.

A bit of inspiration in this thread!

Just pick any mid engined kit car and you will be laughing with a front wheel drive donor.
Old 6th June 2009, 07:33

Cheers mate, I was hoping for a Caterham 7 style, but after speaking to a couple of people they said having that much torque and no weight over the back wheels it could get a bit 'interesting' to drive in anything but super dry conditions. I'm going to buy a few Kit Car Mags and either look for a rolling shell or, if I can square it with the missus use the garage and build one from scratch.

One of my old school friends has just bought one, caught up with him on Facebook and started talking. He was at a show a year or so ago and was speaking to a guy who was putting a Viper engine into a Kit Car, if he can do that, i'm sure a 1.9 PD shouldn't be too much bother!!