Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 4th August 2011, 13:49

SR-71 is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie needing some advice on E36 donor/drivable car

Hi Guys,

I've been looking into building my very own Marlin Sportster and have found a possible donor. Its a BMW E36 convertible with 50k miles on the clock. The only downside is it's an auto. It's selling for £1.5k. Whilst this may seem a lot (for a donor) I may only be stripping it sometime next year and in the meantime it would be cool to drive it around. Is £1.5K a bargain or too good to be true? Also will I experience probs being a 1994 E36 engine eg. Vanos, Immobiliser etc. Apparently it doesn't have a big service history, just lots of receipts. The car drives fine so I'm told. do I have to worry if it was an insurance write-off, stolen because I feel £1.5K for a Beemer (and a convertible too) is quite a bargain.

Thanks,
SR-71

Last edited by SR-71; 5th August 2011 at 20:23.. Reason: mispelt title
Available from eBay
Old 4th August 2011, 14:12
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

Hi Brandon!

I'm sure someone will be along in a moment to give you a hand.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 4th August 2011, 14:14

Default haha

Thanks Jason... How did you know it was me
Old 4th August 2011, 14:22
Enthusiast

Well, you're the newest member, and you started asking the same questions as in your last mail to me. 'Helementary, my dear Watson...

You may want to look at this thread:

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...ead.php?t=2831

Bobnic got his e36 donor for £800, so you may want to haggle if you go for the one you've pointed out.
Old 4th August 2011, 14:33
Enthusiast

How about this e30 - 325, manual, no issues with Vanos or immobilisers, old enough not to need a CAT, easier emissions test come IVA.

Low price, ending soon.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1986-BMW-3...#ht_780wt_1156
Old 4th August 2011, 14:46

Default Cool!

Seems a bargain..however too many bids...gonna be a tough one 8-)

Also aren't newer engines generally better/more reliable? It means not as much work to strip down and refurb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOldOne View Post
How about this e30 - 325, manual, no issues with Vanos or immobilisers, old enough not to need a CAT, easier emissions test come IVA.

Low price, ending soon.

Old 4th August 2011, 15:47
Enthusiast

Not necessarily so - If it's been looked after, it'll be just as reliable as a 'modern' engine. Vikki fires up without fail every time I turn her over. And if the milage is accurate, it's got less miles on than Vikki's donor had.
Old 4th August 2011, 16:12

True! Its just that unknown about whether or not the car has been looked after well...although I s'pose 1 owner is a good sign!

Quote:
Not necessarily so - If it's been looked after, it'll be just as reliable as a 'modern' engine. Vikki fires up without fail every time I turn her over. And if the milage is accurate, it's got less miles on than Vikki's donor had.
Old 4th August 2011, 17:10
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Hi Guys,

I've been looking into building my very own Marlin Sportster and have found a possible donor. Its a BMW E36 convertible with 50k miles on the clock. The only downside is it's an auto. It's selling for £1.5k. Whilst this may seem a lot (for a donor) I may only be stripping it sometime next year and in the meantime it would be cool to drive it around. Is £1.5K a bargain or too good to be true? Also will I experience probs being a 1994 E36 engine eg. Vanos, Immobiliser etc. Apparently it doesn't have a big service history, just lots of receipts. The car drives fine so I'm told. do I have to worry if it was an insurance write-off, stolen because I feel £1.5K for a Beemer (and a convertible too) is quite a bargain.

Thanks,
SR-71
Hi Brandon
Welcome to the club.

Do you know if the convertible you are looking at has an M50 or M52 engine?
I believe it is easy to tell, by the position of the oil filler cap: the M50 is towards the rear of the engine, while the M52 is closer to the front? Definitely avoid an M52 due to the complications of the wiring, unless you are happy to import the entire loom including the instrument binnacle.

My preference was for the M50 as it is more fuel efficient, can be fitted without the CAT, and is a more modern engine.
Old 4th August 2011, 18:16
Enthusiast

timbo is on a distinguished road

Hi Brandon
I agree with Mike. If its an M52 you may well encounter the same problems as I have getting the immobiliser to work correctly (although if you have the complete engine harness that may well solve the problem).
I am currently sourcing an M52 engine harness for a complete re-wire in order to solve my immobiliser problems (my own efforts at wiring meant that it would start about 50 times then die). My 'expert' has been trying to sort it out for 16 months now and has eventually concluded that a complete re-wire is the solution using a full original engine harness.
In retrospect I would have gone for an M50...but as you say, insurance write-offs can be great bargains. If you want to drive it in between stripping it, you will need a VIC check (more details available on the government website) and an MOT. If its only bodywork issues it won't be too much of a problem, as I have done the same with a Mazda MX5.
Hope this helps
Tim
Old 4th August 2011, 20:23
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Low price, ending soon.

Wow, a 1 owner e30 from new and still at £130!! (even I'm tempted and I've already got three engines!!)

I think the M50 e36 would be my choice if starting today. I think you'll pay a premium for a convertible but I can see the attraction of hooning around for 6 months.
Old 4th August 2011, 22:44

Default thanks

Thanks for your help guys. I think it's an M50 engine.