Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 16th September 2011, 12:41

oaktree11 is on a distinguished road
Default How committed is Marlin?

Hi All. I am comparatively new to the Marlin Sportster fraternity and got here somewhat fortuitously by buying someone elses unbuilt kit. I always wanted a Marlin but had this opportunity not come up I would probably have waited another year or so and researched the market much more carefully.
Now I am here with the stage 1 kit fuel tank and no body parts yet.
My question is that, having read lots now, the impression I am getting is that Marlin are less than committed to the Sportster. I read this comment in this forum

" You haven't worked Marlin out yet...........................

Their only interest these days rests with the 5Exi, and racing."

And it seemed to echo what I thought. Other kit car manufacturers seem to be far more proactive and enthusiastic. Am I wrong? I would be fascinated to hear what others with more experience think...? Most of all I suppose I am thinking that with years of building ahead should I worry?
Available from eBay
Old 16th September 2011, 21:12
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktree11 View Post
Hi All. I am comparatively new to the Marlin Sportster fraternity and got here somewhat fortuitously by buying someone elses unbuilt kit. I always wanted a Marlin but had this opportunity not come up I would probably have waited another year or so and researched the market much more carefully.
Now I am here with the stage 1 kit fuel tank and no body parts yet.
My question is that, having read lots now, the impression I am getting is that Marlin are less than committed to the Sportster. I read this comment in this forum

" You haven't worked Marlin out yet...........................

Their only interest these days rests with the 5Exi, and racing."

And it seemed to echo what I thought. Other kit car manufacturers seem to be far more proactive and enthusiastic. Am I wrong? I would be fascinated to hear what others with more experience think...? Most of all I suppose I am thinking that with years of building ahead should I worry?
Hi Oaktree
As these words were mine, I feel a little guilty if I have put you off. However, it is clear Terry and Mark are far less committed than they used to be.
I bought a Cabrio kit 5 years ago, and felt then that they were losing interest in the Cabrio (they were trying to sell the marketing rights) so I ordered all the Marlin bespoke manufactured items in case they ceased production. They did sell the rights and I don't believe there have been many,if any, further Cabrios sold.
The kit car market has been in decline for perhaps the past 10 years compared to it hey day in the late 1980s early '90s. I think Marlin found going racing more rewarding than building kits.

I could be wrong, but I would suggest buying all the Marlin manufactured parts as soon as you can and be sure of not being left high and dry if they stop making parts for the Sportster? Then you can purchase all the other expensive add ons at whatever rate you need them at.

PS.
I am only down the road in Gosberton if you want to have a look at a Cabrio that's 75% built with a BMW M50 engine and gearbox.

Mike
Old 17th September 2011, 09:34
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

I support Mike's view of the world of Marlin but maybe just a little more positive.

Firstly, don't be put off, you'll love the sense of achievement of building and driving your own sportscar. But the Sportster styling is unique and not like all the other LSIS cars that may be selling in large numbers.
Everytime I pull into a petrol station I get smiles of admiration and at least one comment ranging from 'Nice car mate' to "err, what's that!!".
It is a well engineered low volume sportscar. Likewise Marlin are a very low volume car manufacturer who don't have the margins for much proactive marketing. (I have noticed that some others who do, then go bust as they overstretch them selves)
I too got the impression that Marlin were not interested in the Sportster but that was back in 2004 when I got my chassis, but there still going and have delivered at least 3 new chassis in the last year.
I believe Mark is currently building a new Sportster demonstrator which is no small investment and is designing a new hood. (Not something you'd bother with if you're not interested in new sales?)

If you worried about future support, I agree with Mike and order all the bespoke Marlin parts, in particular the body panels which would be difficult to source. Alternatively, before making any further investment why not invest in a day down in Exeter and go and have a chat with Terry.
cheers

Peter
Old 17th September 2011, 11:02

denniswpearce is on a distinguished road

I am relatively new to this type of motoring scene and decided to purchase a ready built Sportster instead of building one. I acquired mine earlier this year and have had a few well documented issues with the car which others have experienced before me so many have consistently helped me on this forum.
The latest one is the wing stay fracturing ( which was predicted on here ). As a result I had to contact Marlin for them to manufacture new ones to the latest solid type ( older type were tubular ). Terry answered my call immediately and asked that I email her with several details. This was done and it took a week for Marlin to repond with a comprehensive helpful reply with prices and time scales. This I have found encouraging and not quite as predicted from some quarters.
I know people have had issues with them but so far I am happy with their response to my predicament.
Dennis
Old 17th September 2011, 13:31

Thanks for all your views, its really helpful to get some perspective. Mike, no need to worry, your view did echo with mine! Sorry if I put you on the spot! Gosberton is very close, I would love to visit sometime.
I have decided to buy the bodywork anyway and any other proprietary bits - i just need to work out what they are!
I did visit Mark recently in the workshop (which took some finding!) there was a 5Exi being race prepared and an E36 based Sportster nearing completion. He is an interesting character. I had no time to see Terry, I assume that they have an office too?
Old 17th September 2011, 15:54
Enthusiast

Good to hear you are planning to continue!

The Marlin price list is actually a very good checklist of things you'll need. (I think you can download it from their website?)

I'm sure we can all help if your not sure what's what. Things like the lighting pack or instruments you 'do you're own thing' or buy from Marlin. Body panels, doors, bonnets, etc are all bespoke and best sourced form Marlin.

Anything your not sure about post a question or send me a PM,

good luck, Peter
Old 1st December 2011, 09:30

Well, I have decided to bite the bullet and spend £3000+ on all the bespoke Marlin bits I need to complet the car (the stage 3 group complete plus some bits from the stage 2 group {I already have the fuel tank} plus the windscreen). At least then the car's fate is in my hands (must find a name "the car" sounds a bit cold!).
I am still bemused at Marlin's attitude which is not what you would call enthusiastic! It seems to take ages to get replies to emails and I don't feel very "wanted" as a customer. No matter, this forum is excellent and, once I have got the bits, I know that the support is there for me to succeed from you guys.
I finally collect the Marlin chassis etc this weekend! Whoopee!
Old 1st December 2011, 21:12
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktree11 View Post
I am still bemused at Marlin's attitude which is not what you would call enthusiastic! It seems to take ages to get replies to emails and I don't feel very "wanted" as a customer.
It heightens the sense of achievement when you have finally finished the car

More seriously, glad to hear your making progress and another part built kit will be saved.......
Old 3rd December 2011, 11:24

atlantasportster is on a distinguished road

When I decided that I wanted to persue the Sportster, I called Terry from Bermuda, and we spoke for about 45 minutes.
She was very helpful and left me with a feeling of confidence that Marlin could deliver the goods.
As we would be shipping to the USA, we discussed zero-rating VAT for export, and the fact that I did not want back-orders of components.
US Customs can be difficult with B/O items not specifically listed on invoices.
LHD did not appear to be problem ( although careful scrutiny of various build diaries leads me to believe that this point very much depends on the engine selected).
I can understand that in these lean times, small niche companies have to watch overhead, and staff can be spread pretty thin when admin stuff is asked for.
In the next few weeks, I will determine what we have in the shop in Atlanta, or buy a donor. I will then place an order for the whole package from Marlin at one go.
Need to be back in Birmingham for Easter, will go down to Crediton then.
Was in Egloskerry in Sept, and could have visited the shop then.
Old 3rd December 2011, 16:16
Enthusiast

This is going to one very interesting build diary!!

There is a guy in Canada that successfully built a Marlin Sportster from a kit shipped from the UK but I've not been able to track him down to find out more about it.
So long as you get all the Marlin specific parts (like bodywork, etc) I'm sure all the other parts are readily available in the US. There is no 'rocket science' in a Sportster

Indeed I chose to use Autometer instruments that were shipped direct from the US and some of us are now sourcing some brake servo's from MBM in the US. I also believe that you have many BMW enthusiast and tuning parts, so no problem with the donor parts.
Indeed, having a US builder will be a great additional source of ideas and help to this little team of builders/owners!

Keep us posted on your travel plans and we might be able find one us to meet and have a look...

Last edited by peterux; 3rd December 2011 at 16:18.. Reason: additional comment
Old 3rd December 2011, 16:56

Default I am sure things will be fine

Actually, I dont want my comments to be seen as too negative. The Sportster is undoubtedly a fine, well engineered kit. Marlin are a particular type of company, somewhat different I suspect to other kit car companies, but thats the way it is. Mark is Mark, Terry is very helpful and there have been many really successful builds. My personal feeling is that, for me, there will be a lot more help from the forum than from Marlin but that is no bad thing!
I spend a lot of time in the USA and Canada and would love to see Sportsters there so good luck!
Old 3rd December 2011, 18:00

No harm done--didn't view your remarks as a putdown of Marlin.
Agree the info on this site is the best I have seen.
Each engine type is so well covered.

BTW We are also building a Fiorano Tipo type 48 kit on a GT6 platform.

Last edited by atlantasportster; 3rd December 2011 at 18:03..
Old 5th December 2011, 18:30

Just got a positive e-mail from Terry about my quest.
Said the Complete Kit Car report on the new sportster is in the Xmas (?) mag.
Very positive outcome.
Old 5th December 2011, 18:46
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantasportster View Post
Very positive outcome.
That sounds just like the Terry we know: Hot on marketing........never misses an opportunity!
Old 5th December 2011, 20:59
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantasportster View Post
Very positive outcome.
Complete Kit Car is one of the three UK Kitcar magazines.

http://www.completekitcar.co.uk/index.html

I'll get you a copy(when its published), if you would like?

Last edited by peterux; 5th December 2011 at 21:00.. Reason: correction