Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 14th February 2016, 08:44

andysharrock is on a distinguished road

£7600 did not meet the reserve 10k but would more than cover the cost of the build. 6 emails how much would you take mate as always so unless someone comes up with the wonga it will be painted and badged up ready for the show. guy at the paint shop said as its a big car it would look good in white witch is a colour I would never think of. still like to do it with the racing numbers and stripes but dont know about the colour
download (4).jpg
Old 14th February 2016, 09:44
Enthusiast

Nubodi Automotive is on a distinguished road

I will probably upset a lot of people here but this is how it is. Its been hard to bite my tongue but here goes....

I predicted to smash and ericholm it would go to £7500. The general public cannot see potential and do not like 'unfinished'. It s so worth painting, badging and finishing. What you spend on these you will recoup 3 times in the final price. I have been offered £20,000 for my Kalifornia. Yes really, I'm not dreaming or making it up. I would need at least £24,000 even then not sure. I regularly get emails asking to buy it.
Chris Evans is a fool to paint his white but we all know that.
Colour is important. White does not sell...look at the white mx250's on ebay that struggle to make what they cost to build. I know its a cliche but red would be the most salable colour. You have to get out of the mentality of what you want now as you are selling it. Throw those mirrors away and put on some cheap Ital ones, they are not helping. They may look great of a hot rod not on a classic recreation. Try and get it as close to the original as possible and you will open your marketplace immeasurably.
I have spoken to Chris about throwing kits on a donor and selling it on for a quick profit, cheaply. Its creating a ceiling price that's hard to break through. Its not helping the resale potential of this model. He now agrees and hopefully with this advice we can all profit and benefit from it.
Do not sell on ebay. You buy from ebay and gumtree. You need to put it on the classic sites or maybe a classic auction. That's where the money is waiting.
Ive been doing this a long time, I really do not care if you want to attack me about this as I continue to get top prices for my builds. I have never got less than £10,000 for a Kobra and expect at least double that for a Koupe.
Old 14th February 2016, 11:28

landmannnn is on a distinguished road

Good advice, in particular

"Do not sell on ebay. You buy from ebay and gumtree. You need to put it on the classic sites or maybe a classic auction. That's where the money is waiting"
Old 14th February 2016, 11:37

Danny_HUFC is on a distinguished road

Advice on the colour i would always say red if you want to sell it.
Old 14th February 2016, 12:09

Roadster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubodi Automotive View Post
I will probably upset a lot of people here but this is how it is. Its been hard to bite my tongue but here goes....

I predicted to smash and ericholm it would go to £7500. The general public cannot see potential and do not like 'unfinished'. It s so worth painting, badging and finishing. What you spend on these you will recoup 3 times in the final price. I have been offered £20,000 for my Kalifornia. Yes really, I'm not dreaming or making it up. I would need at least £24,000 even then not sure. I regularly get emails asking to buy it.
Chris Evans is a fool to paint his white but we all know that.
Colour is important. White does not sell...look at the white mx250's on ebay that struggle to make what they cost to build. I know its a cliche but red would be the most salable colour. You have to get out of the mentality of what you want now as you are selling it. Throw those mirrors away and put on some cheap Ital ones, they are not helping. They may look great of a hot rod not on a classic recreation. Try and get it as close to the original as possible and you will open your marketplace immeasurably.
I have spoken to Chris about throwing kits on a donor and selling it on for a quick profit, cheaply. Its creating a ceiling price that's hard to break through. Its not helping the resale potential of this model. He now agrees and hopefully with this advice we can all profit and benefit from it.
Do not sell on ebay. You buy from ebay and gumtree. You need to put it on the classic sites or maybe a classic auction. That's where the money is waiting.
Ive been doing this a long time, I really do not care if you want to attack me about this as I continue to get top prices for my builds. I have never got less than £10,000 for a Kobra and expect at least double that for a Koupe.
i thought your blue Kobra went for £7500
Old 14th February 2016, 13:34
Enthusiast

Absolutely NO. I would never sell one for so little.
Where did you get that from?
Old 14th February 2016, 16:34

Tribute Automotive is on a distinguished road

This is a polite and factual statement:

Every one of my unfinished projects that I have built/sold has provided each buyer (trade and general public) with good value and a short cut to a vehicle that they can, and have, finished to whichever level of finish they choose or can afford to meet.

Being a small business in a niche market can be very hard in terms of cash flow and profit margins. With this in mind I will continue to sell unfinished projects to satisfied customers for the price that we have both agreed on.

If anyone wishes to PM or contact email on info@tributeautomotive.co.uk or ring me within working hours to discuss further I will be more than happy to continue being both polite and factual.
Old 14th February 2016, 16:49

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

Top response.
Old 14th February 2016, 17:18

Triumph Special is on a distinguished road

I understand the views being expressed here, but there are those of us (I suspect, rather a lot) who regard the cliched 'Fake Ferrari in Red' as rather offputting. Period inspired detailing that enhances the car's already fine looks, yes. Prancing horses and bolt-on wires, no.

Each to our own, of course, but there's nothing certain in such a subjective market.

Not sure that multi-millionaire Chris Evans is an idiot either...white doesn't smother shapes.
Old 14th February 2016, 17:26

Mechanik is on a distinguished road

Chris should work for the government with a statement like that but whatever he says Nubodi is right it does put a cap on unfinished sale cars.

Concerning colour, any colour is fine if you want to keep the car forever, paint it pink if you want..but do not expect a good price if you have to sell it.

Evans is a ******
Old 14th February 2016, 17:27

ned is on a distinguished road

I bought a part finished project from Chris because when purchased i didn't have the time or space to build one from scratch i am glad that he is going to carry on with this part of the business as using this short cut made it possible for me to own a well put together basis to add my own mark to.
Old 14th February 2016, 17:30

Mitchelkitman is on a distinguished road

Colour .......I guess it depends to a large extent on what you intend to do with the car, If you intend to enjoy it yourself then make it whatever colour you want. If building it to sell there may be certain colours more likely to achieve that aim, however if you would prefer a different colour and can't then sell the car for the price you would like, then you are going to be driving around in "second choice". personally I'd like to try a 250SWB in turquoise (don't know remotely why, because I've never really had a urge for the colour), but I think it would look good, and be different to the usual. Can anyone with the skills I don't possess give an idea of what it would look like? I could have started something here!!
Old 14th February 2016, 17:47

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Black!

Cars should always be black. My wife told me that when I planned to get the Z300S painted red.

I don't care if the whole of the rust of the world disagrees, it is Valentine's Day and I am not disagreeing with MrsWCA...

...and she does have a point, all of my best cars have been black.
Old 14th February 2016, 19:29

hoooooooooo can of worms you got to laugh. anyway plan is to be silver as that is the cars original colour still 50/50 on the sterling moss number stripe combo. going to hold off to closer to the show no point having it stood under trees with fresh paint for the next 3 months.
Old 14th February 2016, 21:05

ned is on a distinguished road

good choice (i still like white cars though)
Old 14th February 2016, 21:15

agreed mate your car looks pukka
Old 14th February 2016, 21:35

redratbike is on a distinguished road

Pick a silver ,make it period looking as much as possible ..got to make it an easy sell
Old 15th February 2016, 06:21

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysharrock View Post
hoooooooooo can of worms you got to laugh. anyway plan is to be silver as that is the cars original colour still 50/50 on the sterling moss number stripe combo. going to hold off to closer to the show no point having it stood under trees with fresh paint for the next 3 months.
Car designer of the century (20th), Giorgetto Giugaro, preferred silver for his concept cars. I once read in a car mag that he'd said it was the best colour for any car because it showed off the styling features to best effect (I've tried but can't find a link to that statement I'm afraid, but I do remember reading it).

I've found that silver really works on my Spyder, it draws a hell of a lot of attention and people have even asked me if it's polished aluminium.

Got to agree that red will probably sell very well on an 'Italian' car though, but I'd be tempted to use the darker, burgundy reds used by Lancia/Maserati/Ferrari in the 50's. I also think it's sensible painting the car the same colour as the donor was.

Good luck with the sale, I'm looking forward to seeing it in silver paint.
Old 15th February 2016, 08:27

Mechanik is on a distinguished road

I appreciate its a personal choice, silver is great but I dont understand when you are given good advice by someone who is very experienced and obviously successful you don't take the advice. To get the best price (whether you like red or not, I don't by the way) a Ferrari lookalike has to be red. Im guessing you will lose 10-15% of your potential price not painting it red.
You were also advised to sell to the Classic car community for maximum price, selling at Stoneleigh will realise a lower price as you are selling to the kitcar community which is in recession. The classic car market is booming.
Its up to you but it seems common sense to me?
Old 15th February 2016, 10:56
Enthusiast

Exactly!!

Same principle for Cobras, for top price they have to be blue with white or silver stripes. It may not be your choice but that's what the majority of the market wants.

At the end of the day I really do not care what colour you paint it, just trying to help.