Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 29th May 2004, 22:17
Enthusiast

holgate86 is on a distinguished road
Default Turbo water pump problem

I have just been checking out an alternative method for the water pump. The possibility of an electric pump which can be mounted remotely is a big advantage on the 5exi as it could well be fitted at the front somewhere reducing the over weight rear end.
The original setup is quite big and heavy and it would be quite nice to lose it. The unit i've seen is temperature controlled so only pumps when the engine requires it, it can also continue pumping after switch off which would be a plus on a turbo engine.
The only thing that puzzles me is i've never seen it fitted as standard, everything else is going electric so why haven't manufacturers tried this out. I can only assume it's down to cost. It is being sold by motor sport suppliers so you would expect it to be fairly reliable, what do you guys think. Brian. It can be found at www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/catalogue/fans.htm
Available from eBay
Old 31st May 2004, 21:18
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

Strange you should bring this up as the advert on page 31 of Kit Car Magazine caught my eye advertising one of these.

Can't help with regard your query as I've never come across one of these before but it looks like more information could be found at http://www.daviescraig.com.au

Being Ozzy based may explain why they have come up with electric cooling. Might be worth PM'ing Ozzie Dave to see if he has come across this before.

Cheers, John

Madabout-kitcars.com
Old 1st June 2004, 20:17
Enthusiast

tony-g is on a distinguished road

yes there does seem to be a need to remove this pump from the engine. my attempts to strip down the power steering pump so it will just drive the water pump have all failed so far. How are you thinking of connecting an electric one. can the mechanical pump just be removed or will a blanking plate have to be made up.

tony g
Old 2nd June 2004, 21:44
Enthusiast

Default turbo water pump

Have you removed the full water pump housing and associated casting Tony. Once removed there is a hole in the block approx 35-40mm and that's where the water pump connection would go. This leaves a problem of tensioning the alternator belt because the auto adjuster is on the water pump housing. I was thinking of using a smaller alternator as the 820 Vitesse unit is designed for a car with stacks of electrics. I used a 35 amp acr alternator on my sportster with no problems.

I have noticed the engine mounting bracket at the timing belt end on my engine will not fit the Marlin supplied adaptor bracket. Have you found the same problem, are you using an 800 Vitesse unit. I think the 220 turbo engine mounting is probably the one Marlin have designed it for. Brian.
Old 3rd June 2004, 19:58
Enthusiast

hi
yes I used a 220 gti as donor and a 820 vittess for the engine. as you say the 220 mounts are not the same, but i only had to swop them over from the 220.

any thoughts on how you would connect the elec water pump to the hole in the block when pump housing is removed. also if you remove the tension roller, i think any belt would foul on the cam-belt cover.

tony-g
Old 3rd June 2004, 20:18
Enthusiast

I think I would probably mount the pump in the front near the rad, then it would require a stub to be made up to fasten to the block and a rubber hose from stub to plastic bottom hose pipe. I have the engine fully stripped at the moment so haven't checked what problems with belt runs there may be. I'll keep you posted. Brian.
Old 1st August 2004, 19:06
Kit Car Dreamer

Dadiowe is on a distinguished road
Default Turbo water pump

I also thought an electric pump would be a better option and have fitted it, together with temp control car has done about 200 miles now and temp remains constant even in traffic, I used the old pump housing and just cut off all the metal leaving an outlet for the coolant hose. To get over the alternator mounting i took an alternator, bracket and bottom pulley off an o series engine. It has a 4 groove belt instead of six and fits perfectly but had to get belt from auto factors.
Old 4th August 2004, 17:32
Enthusiast

Default Water pump

Nice to know the system works, where did you get it from and what cost. The alternator you fitted from o series, do you know which model/year from. Whats your impressions now you've got it on the road and how did sva go for you. Is yours the first privately built one to be finished. I have been held up with a back problem for over 10 weeks and am just getting back to working on mine. cheers and good luck.
Old 4th August 2004, 20:45
Kit Car Dreamer

The water pump kit is a Davies Craig kit and this link shows you the exact one http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/elecpump.htm. i was lucky to find the kit at work so it was foc i believe the cost is somewhere around £120. The donor for the alternator was a montego about h reg i think
Old 5th August 2004, 10:11
Enthusiast

nice to know pump system works ok. Did you use the electronic controller as well. I understand if you use this you remove the thermostat and fit some sort or probe in the thermostat housing is this true. or did you use some other method
Old 5th August 2004, 21:49
Kit Car Dreamer

Yes that is right you put a probe in through the top hose connection and then you can adjust the temp the engine runs at.