Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 6th March 2010, 22:40
Enthusiast

Alfie is on a distinguished road

Hi Sorton. Thank you for making yourself known. You have made me feel so much better,knowing that I am not the only one lagging behind. I have been building an E30 2.5 sportster on and off (mostly off) since 2004. Unfortunately have had several major interruptions, not least 2 bouts of serious illness and the car has, literally, been under wraps for some time now.
I had got to the stage where I had her running and had started fitting body work but, sadly, that all seems a long time ago. It's only recently that I have even been able to think about getting back to it and I am almost too scared to uncover her for fear of what I might find but I am hoping to soon be in a position to do so. When I do, I will be calling on everyone for support, so watch this space!

Alfie
Old 7th March 2010, 13:16
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo View Post
If you take all the right paperwork to the DVLA they will give you the tax disc and the numberplate form there and then, get the plates made up and off u go!
Tim - what paperwork do I need to take / fill in? The DVLA / DirectGov website isn't the easiest to navigate, and I haven't found anything on there to help so far...

Obviously the IAC certificate. I seem to remember a built up vehicle form? You know, the one where you list all the major components from the donor to allow you to register it with an age related plate...

Ta,

Jason
Old 7th March 2010, 16:05

Chris Cussen is on a distinguished road

Hi Sorton, I'm just over the border in Somerset and IVA'ed and registered a Sierra absed carbrio. There's a BMW powered Sportster that lives near Shaftesbury.

My 13mm spanner seem to turn into 12 or 14 when I put it down so it never fits the nut. As for my 17mm socket......

PM me to make contact if you wish.
Happy building
Old 7th March 2010, 16:19

Hi Jason,
Jumped over your last post.
You need to fill out a V55/5. I think you can't download this form as it has carbon paper copies. There are way too many questions on it to answer, so I phoned Swansea and they told me which sections you had to complete.

You will also need the self build declaration form http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum.../dg_065268.pdf which is form V627/1

I also sent in the MOT and build photos.

DVLA re-issued the MOT with the new registration.

You have to take with you a bundle of documentation to prove who you are when they examine the car. Passport and utility bill etc.

Be prepared to argue that you need an age related plate. If I had not stuck my heels in I would have got a 'Q'.

Also they insist that the vehicle it trailored to the examination. Makes no sense at all as you have already driven it legally to the IVA test, but rules is rules mien furher!
Old 7th March 2010, 16:29
Enthusiast

Thanks Chris.
Old 7th March 2010, 17:41
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

If you still have it take along the log book for the donor. I had this and it meant I didn't have any problem getting an age related plate. They "confiscated" the log book after saying that they would register it as scrapped. It's the one cock-up in the whole process as I still get reminders for the tax! I must get around to sorting that out....

Robin
Old 7th March 2010, 18:00
Enthusiast

Yeah - I still have the donor log book - It's what I used as proof of the engine age so the IVA tester knew which emission standard to apply.

I'll ring DVLA Northampton tomorrow and get them to send me out the V55/5, and start getting quotes for a low loader to take me down to the office for the inspection.
Old 7th March 2010, 20:16
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

I recognise that grin!!

If you phone DVLA at Swansea and explain you want to register a Kit Car they will send you a full pack of forms and instruction leaflets on how to fill them in. I think contacting the local offices seems to be a bit hit and miss depending on who answers the 'phone.
It's a bit tedious, but I followed the instructions and had no issues, start to finish. The rule about having to trailer the car is just a bit of nonsence red tape. I've often wondered what they would do if you just turned up in the car park with the car. They don't see you arrive or leave because they are inside in the office!

If you're like me, the grin will return when the shop assistant hands you your very own number plates!

...peter
Old 8th March 2010, 09:10
Enthusiast

Good. Grin wearing off now. Especially as I'm at work.
Old 8th March 2010, 10:02

The DVLA documentation I got was very insistant that you did not drive the car to the inspection, to the point that they inferred that unless they could see it on a trailer they would abandon the inspection.

The other issue you could have is with Plod. The appointment letter for going to and from the IVA has a 'get out of jail free' statement stating you can drive the unlicenced and unregistered vehicle to the test. You are not covered by it going to DVLA and you could get donked for it.

I was stopped by Plod coming back from IVA re-test, and they got very excited thinking they had caught a right villan. Fortuanately the VOSA documentation trumped them.
Old 8th March 2010, 17:04

Sorton is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Yes Mike, call me Sorton. With a surname like Jones I needed something different and it is one of my christian names. I have of course been called other things as well!!! I will probably try and record my build progress somehow but first I am off on holiday.

Chris, I have been following David's (Shaftesbury) build for some time and went down to Exeter to help with and observe his SVA. In my view a very helpful experience. He told me about your Cabrio build so I will be in contact when I get back to arrange a meet. Incidentally, my first Marlin contact was John in Sherborne who built the purple M50, now sold on.

Alfie, I am in North Dorset, are you anywhere near?
Old 8th March 2010, 18:19
Enthusiast

Lightbulb

Hi Sorton. Not a million miles away. I am in the Blackdown Hills halfway between Taunton and Honiton. Had a quick peek at car today.... not as disastrous as I expected. Have set myself goal of getting back to it properly next month (crumbly body permitting!). There are IVA issues to address, like new seats with head rests and alterations to bumpers and rear wings but,with luck, I will get there.

Alfie
Old 8th March 2010, 21:26
Enthusiast

Alfie - If they're any use to you, you can have my wing extensions I made to get me through. They drop down below the 150mm plane on the Gooster, but it will depend on where your wings are (everyone's are slightly different).
Old 8th March 2010, 21:35
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOldOne View Post
Alfie - If they're any use to you, you can have my wing extensions I made to get me through. They drop down below the 150mm plane on the Gooster, but it will depend on where your wings are (everyone's are slightly different).
GOO

Have they fallen off already
Old 8th March 2010, 21:45
Enthusiast

Not yet, but with my shoddy workmanship they may part company with the Gooster at any minute...
Old 8th March 2010, 22:20
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOldOne View Post
Can I get a Woo, and a Hoo?

HELL YES!

Interesting to see a Sportster weighs 891Kg. I've often wondered.

...peter
Old 9th March 2010, 07:19
Enthusiast

Yes - I was shocked at that.

I have the exact figures for each axle at home, as I expected it to be more after the advice you lot gave me on what to put as the axle weights.

Those figures we conjured up (550 front, 700 rear) have been put on the form as the design limit.
Old 9th March 2010, 13:22
Enthusiast

Hi Jason. Very good of you to offer and may take you up on that but am some way off that point yet. I was really just thinking out loud yesterday. Before I put things on hold, I had got as far as fitting scuttle,doors,A panels,nose,bonnet sides and shaping one bonnet panel. I have not yet fitted rear wings and still have to sort out ride height and rear springs. Before I do any of that I have to sort out and organise my garage/workshop.(A house move was another of my interruptions!)

Alfie
Old 9th March 2010, 22:54
Enthusiast

jeremy is on a distinguished road
Default nuptuals

Forthcoming is my wedding next fri-had hoped to have finished the car for that, but alas wasnt to be.The gooster result is fabulous, and also more builders now getting started-I hope to finish asap after return from honeymoon!!!
Old 10th March 2010, 07:36
Enthusiast

Congrats Jeremy - I hope you and Mrs J have a wonderful day, and have a great honeymoon.

(I did think about using the pregnant smiley with a joke about people carriers, but I restrained myse.. Oh. )