Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > General Build Chat

General Build Chat Area for general build chat, questions, tips, tricks and progress

Old 22nd September 2009, 13:34

CompoSimmonite is on a distinguished road
Default Herald based - IVA needed ?

I'm considering using my Herald convertible as a basis for a Midge or Burlington.
AFAIK under the old (pre IVA) rules it was classed as a rebody and you simply MOT'd and then DVLA inspected to confirm unaltered chassis and original components.

Anyone know what happens now ?
Does everything have to have a IVA (I believe Burlington / Midge won't pass even if built to high standard per the plans) ?

Thanks.

Paul H
Available from eBay
Old 22nd September 2009, 14:07

chrislandy is on a distinguished road

The burlington used an altered chassis anyway so would have had to be SVA's anyway
Old 22nd September 2009, 15:46
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Hmmm. Plenty of Midges were built that didn't need an SVA. I think it depends on how you class an unaltered chassis. With the midge you just chop and shorted the outriggers that supported the body. I think you may be able to argue this is not part of the main chassis. There must be a forum or an owners club for the Midge somewhere where you could find someone that has done this recently.

Robin
Old 22nd September 2009, 16:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislandy View Post
The burlington used an altered chassis anyway so would have had to be SVA's anyway
In what way is a chassis altered for a Burlington ?
I've got the plans on CD but will be honest and admit I haven't looked too closely at them yet so all I saw was swop the suspension towers so the engine can be moved backwards and assumed that was it.
If it needs cutting or modifying then I can understand IVA needed.

Thanks.

Paul H
Old 23rd September 2009, 07:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinClan View Post
I think it depends on how you class an unaltered chassis.
Even the DVLA couldn't tell me at what stage the chassis becomes "modified" technically welding a different outrigger on is a modification but I think you could call it as a modification to the main structure of the chassis so main rails plus front and rear x-members.

For a Burlington Arrow the main chassis rails are lengthened by about 4", i've got one in my back garden waiting to be rebuilt and I remember having to add some length to it
Old 23rd September 2009, 07:32
Enthusiast

Quote:
For a Burlington Arrow the main chassis rails are lengthened by about 4", i've got one in my back garden waiting to be rebuilt and I remember having to add some length to it
You must be from the same "era" as me Chris. I almost built an Arrow - ended up building a Triumph based Marlin instead. I though that you only had to lengthen the chassis for the arrow if it was Spitfire based - Herald based being used as is? Do you have any pics of yours - I still have a soft spot for this car.

Robin
Old 23rd September 2009, 07:39

It was my dads project originally (sadly not anymore) I've still got a copy of the original paper build manual somewhere so I'll dig out what has to be done to the chassis! I've got a couple of photos floating around but it is looking very decrepid now as it's been just sat under a tree with no bodywork for 2 years

Not sure if I am by age (30) but quite possibly automotive heart!
Old 23rd September 2009, 07:57

I've looked further at the plans and can see how a Burlington chassis could be classed as "modified" - rear boot outriggers cut off, front legs shortened, sides tapered so accept there is no argument (with DVLA) that per the rules IVA due.
I THINK, however, it'd be possible to build a car in the style of Burlington / Midge on an unaltered chassis. Running boards would hide the original full width side rails. Front and rear would just have to have ugly trim / bumpers added - until inspected by DVLA and then who knows what might happen to them

Paul H
Old 23rd September 2009, 09:27
Enthusiast

Quote:
It was my dads project originally (sadly not anymore) I've still got a copy of the original paper build manual somewhere so I'll dig out what has to be done to the chassis! I've got a couple of photos floating around but it is looking very decrepid now as it's been just sat under a tree with no bodywork for 2 years

Not sure if I am by age (30) but quite possibly automotive heart!
Aha. As my kids are close to your age I will let you guess where that puts me...

There were some fantastic Arrows arround 25 odd years ago when I used to be a regular at Kit Car shows. I remember a black one (with gold coach lines) that turned up at the Motor 100 show - it was difficlut to believe it was built from plywood.... (Of course there were also some dogs as well.)

It's great that your dad's has survived even if it does need some TLC now...

Robin