Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 11th March 2012, 20:23

Bobnic is on a distinguished road
Default Help with clutch plumbing please

It's now time to get the clutch plumbed in, was after a bit of advice please. Where can I get the fittings and hoses from for my E36 M3?? As me and clutches are not very well known to each other and I could spend a lot of time (and money) ordering and trying the wrong stuff!! I suspect the hoses will need to be custom made, or can I use original OEM Beemer ones or some other manufacturers OTC hoses?

Thanks as always in advance for your pearls!

Rob
Available from eBay
Old 11th March 2012, 20:51

morris is on a distinguished road

I made some of may own hoses by using a local supplier, torques.co.uk. He's got a wealth of different types of adapters and fittings to sort you out. Works out about £20 per 1m hose. You'll probably find the clutch master and slave use M10 fittings. I went for banjo fittings as they're that much easier to work with in tight places. I think that you'll find buying genuine BMW parts in the instance is a waste of money as they'll be designed length wise to go through the bulk heads in specific places which may not be where you need them to in the sportster
Old 12th March 2012, 07:43
Enthusiast

timbo is on a distinguished road

I used a Marlin-supplied clutch master cylinder and hose and found these notes from my build diary:

Clutch hose had both ends metric (M10), but clutch master cylinder is 3/8 UNF so ordered a new cable from furore cars.

And their hose did the job no probs. I agree with Ian that you need to get them made to the right length, unless you can do it yourself. Fortunately not too expensive, relatively of course
Old 12th March 2012, 07:55
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

As I recall, I used the standard BMW flexible hose from the slave to a convinient mounting point on the bulkhead and then made up the rest in kunifer using standard brake line type fittings.

Robin
Old 14th March 2012, 18:54

Bobnic is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys. Going to visit a local hydraulics firm Friday, see if they can make the hoses we need.

Rob
Old 14th March 2012, 20:05
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

I used standard BMW slave cylinder a new original BMW rubber pipe to the bulk head. From there I used a copper pipe up and under the battery tray into the car up to the master cylinder. Initially I used the BMW master cylinder but the pedal box proves to be made out of cheese so re-enforced it and I've completely re-done it with a willwood master cylinder and cage.

You can see the copper pipe in this image:

Through into the master cylinder:

Slave cylinder with pipe coming off it:

Here with the pipe / gearbox mounted:

There's some pics of the pedal box mods here: http://www.msportster.co.uk/rolling-...llery/page-44/