Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 27th January 2014, 09:43

PJ GRABOWSKI is on a distinguished road
Default New Member From Usa

Hey , I have been looking at your forum for a few weeks now and think its great , these little cars and you guys attitude towards them and the build ups etc.
I really think I need to get going on something here!

I live in Bethlehem , PA. East coast U.S.A. and British cars aren't exactly plentiful over here but there is a guy in the neighborhood who has a few old Triumphs , TR stuff mainly . I am going to go see him later this week and see what's about.
I am thinking Ribble but not sure which one yet , depending on what I can find.
Sorry guys but the Miglia proportions look wrong to me , the Ribble is my thing.
I have no idea about costs of shipping a shell over but that's something I can look at.
You guys at Ribble ever thought about a U.S. Distributor for your cars?
They would be more popular than twinkies here !
Available from eBay
Old 27th January 2014, 10:38

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

Hi PJ,

Welcome to the forum. I believe that Spitfires were shipped to the US in reasonable numbers. A west coast example might even be rust-free (us Brits aren't sure what that means). So, if Spits are more plentiful, a Navigator might be the one for you.

Good luck. Building these little gems is a rewarding way to skin your knuckles.
Old 27th January 2014, 11:53

AndyP57 is on a distinguished road

Hi PJ,
We've had a couple of quotes for shipping the kits to USA (and Canada). as an indicator, a previous customer was quoted £680 including palletisation and delivery to Chicago Terminal last October.
Old 27th January 2014, 11:56

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Welcome aboard PJ, I'm sure you'll find an old Spitfire in a yard somewhere near your neck of the woods. You guys lapped them up until the Federal killjoys stepped in and said open top cars might dangerous so I guess everyone junked them and bought handguns with the cash...
Old 27th January 2014, 14:20

Thanks for responses guys.
I think you are right Mr. Towed and Oxford , I do recollect seeing Spitfires around now you mention it.
I reckon that's the way to go. I do however think the longer car is better proportionally , your Silver Bullet is great.
can you guys tell me other than the chassis differences are the Herald and Spitfire basically the same , track width etc?
I'm asking because I reckon that we could stretch a Spitfire Chassis pretty easy here. I wouldn't have the registration issues you guys have with a modified car. The Pilot would be my preference. If we stretched it just in front of the engine block mounts we could end up with a car with the engine set back a little which would be kind of neat.
Andy , thank you for the price. Chicago is quite a bit further North West than I am and I am pretty close to Norfolk , VA a shipping port of some magnitude , so maybe a little cheaper ?
Either way , about a thousand bucks to get the kit here is pretty darn good.
Old 27th January 2014, 15:07

Viatron is on a distinguished road

Hi and welcome PJ. Just a thought but how would it be worth considering getting Ribble to put together a rolling chassis complete with donor for you to finish? Or would importing a car and registering it be a hassle?
Mac
Old 27th January 2014, 17:49

That's an idea ron.
what would a long wheel base chassis with kit fitted cost me? I would need the steering and pedals and gas tank etc all fitted. i need correct papers for the car too.it possibly isn't any more expensive to ship a whole car back here , you can get a roll-roll service into Norfolk which means they don't crate the vehicle just drag it on !
Old 27th January 2014, 19:34

AndyP57 is on a distinguished road

I'll put the 'numbers' together tomorrow for you. Could you PM me your ema address so we can get the details on the business network. Whatever I come up with would, of course, be free from any commitment and subject to detail negotiation.
Cheers.
Andy
Old 28th January 2014, 20:14

dougie.doo2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ GRABOWSKI View Post
Hey , I have been looking at your forum for a few weeks now and think its great , these little cars and you guys attitude towards them and the build ups etc.
I really think I need to get going on something here!

I live in Bethlehem , PA. East coast U.S.A. and British cars aren't exactly plentiful over here but there is a guy in the neighborhood who has a few old Triumphs , TR stuff mainly . I am going to go see him later this week and see what's about.
I am thinking Ribble but not sure which one yet , depending on what I can find.
Sorry guys but the Miglia proportions look wrong to me , the Ribble is my thing.
I have no idea about costs of shipping a shell over but that's something I can look at.
You guys at Ribble ever thought about a U.S. Distributor for your cars?
They would be more popular than twinkies here !
Hi PJ

I am in Canada and go "across the border" to the east coast on a regular basis, eh. So, maybe we could share the shipping costs? Been on pogey a way back, so loonies are tight. I know some truckers too for transport.

How's the weather there, eh?

All the best
Douglas Doolittle
Old 28th January 2014, 20:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie.doo2 View Post
Been on pogey a way back, so loonies are tight.
Erm, in English please...
Old 28th January 2014, 20:32

dougie.doo2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
Erm, in English please...
Sorry Mister Towed. State benefit payments, so money/dollars are tight.
Old 29th January 2014, 05:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie.doo2 View Post
Sorry Mister Towed. State benefit payments, so money/dollars are tight.
Ooh, bad luck. Hope the quest for gainful employment brings you a satisfying, well paid job before too long.

If it's any consolation, our current Government's 'austerity' measures mean I work full time as Bobby (Police Constable) and have a significant income from my military pension plus my wife works in a psychiatric unit and the pay freezes we've had mean money's always tight for us too.

Building one of these cars provides a welcome distraction away from all that though.