Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > General Build Chat

General Build Chat Area for general build chat, questions, tips, tricks and progress

Old 17th November 2009, 20:12

scoobyhunter is on a distinguished road
Default rover 214i 8v engine wireing help

hiya peoples,ive stripped my rover of its wire loom and to say its fcukin massive and overkill is an understatement! what i'd like is to remove all wiring thats not essential to run the engine,i want to make my own wiring loom for the lighting side of things,could anyone help me in stripping my loom to the essentials pleasey,im good with lighting but when it comes to efi ,immobilisers and ecu's i get a bit panicky! my loom weighs way too much and is so ugly id never be able to hide it properly. love you,andy
Available from eBay
Old 18th November 2009, 15:40
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

Get yourself a copy of the Rover manual.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rover-100-200-...item3a54cdeb01

Then go from there.
Old 19th November 2009, 08:47
Enthusiast

eaa53 is on a distinguished road
Default Rover Systems Wiring

Big question if your new to Rover's...

If we ignore all the frilly bits like lights, wipers and indicators there are three essential items to ensure the K series engine starts, four if you include the key FOB.

The engine wiring loom the ECU, the AS5 are essential and if you want to pass an IVA a dashboard/rev counter/speedo pod will be needed. A lot of the POD warning lights are fed from the ECU.

So you are sure why, at the request of the ECU the AS5 sends a serial digital signal back to the ECU, (this is not a DC on/off but a serial communication link), that is unique to the pair, without this unique returned signal the ECU stops the fuel pump operating.

The effect is the ECU runs the pump at switch on, checks with the AS5, if the AS5 fails to respond correctly the engine starts but stops after a short while as there is no fuel pressure.
The immobiliser FOB is also linked into the ECU so if its set to 'auto immobilise' you need the FOB to work as well, the ignition switch will not do that.

The ECU, FOB's and AS5 can all be reprogrammed to work together Technozen can assist there, if its all messed up or different car provided items.
I guess your ECU is the single black socket with less functionality than the dual socket ECU but the principles are the same just different circuit diagrams.

For my VVC 1800 I did just what you are heading into, I used the provided 'frilly bits loom' and stripped the Rover loom down to match my needs. Once you understand the AS5 and ECU needs the minimum of wires to start the engine; plus what you want to be retained as functionallity, your heading inthe right direction.

You need to decide what you want in the new set-up and remake those connection, some circuits need to be shorted out on the AS5 to maintain the engine working systems.

For instance I retained the drivers door lock, this enabled me to access the test mode of the AS5, not much in itself but it also enabled me to override the immobilise if the FOB stops working. I also retained the Rover POD and made all the warning lights work and retained the option for ABS if I choose to, in the future.

Perhaps your first problem is to understand the capability of the Rover ECU, AS5 combination and then select the circuits you wish to retain, then you will know the wires you need to remake.

This SWISSONLINE web site may make your life easier once you decide what you want to retain. This shows the two socket ECU wiring where as yours may be the single socket.

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/TomsS...tion2/Map.htm#

I have the dual socket diagrams, circuits and write-ups if you have difficulty researching them on the net. I only have the Rover manual for the single socket.

Hope this helps a little, it took me 6 months to research, strip and rebuid the loom for my Marlin and I had the provided loom from Marlin as a starter to 10.

regards

eaa53

Last edited by eaa53; 25th November 2009 at 11:36.. Reason: corrected spelling of technozen
Old 20th November 2009, 13:16

brilliant thankyou.an inteligent answer at last,cheers m8,andy.
Old 20th November 2009, 13:27
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyhunter View Post
brilliant thankyou.an inteligent answer at last,cheers m8,andy.
Was that directed at my post above?
Old 20th November 2009, 17:38

lol! no sir,thankyou for your reply too,but buying a manual doesnt help me to do what i need to do. if everybody just went out and bought manuals that would defeat the object of asking for help on forums.he simply went out of his way to give me some very usefull advice,thats what were all here for......
fankingyou. love andy pandy xxx