Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Italian Replica builds and chat

Italian Replica builds and chat Lamborghini, Ferrari, Lancia, any Italian replica car build and chat

Old 28th May 2020, 02:09

Munky is on a distinguished road

Wonder if he would be willing to just sell parts?
A dash would be a great starting place for many a z3 based project.
Still tough to see someone else making money from Brian’s hard work.
Old 28th May 2020, 09:23

andysharrock is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchelkitman View Post
Wonder if I should buy one and take a mould off it? Bet he'd be upset

How does the fuel get into it?
says in the boot on the listing as that is how it is on the OG car. in the uk now would this pass a mot doesn't the tank need to vent to the outside not in the boot
Old 28th May 2020, 10:05

Mitchelkitman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysharrock View Post
says in the boot on the listing as that is how it is on the OG car. in the uk now would this pass a mot doesn't the tank need to vent to the outside not in the boot
OOER - I hadn't noticed that, naughty indeed and not recommended for obvious reasons. I won't be buying one anyway (sorry is this comment upsets anyone) because IMHO it just looks like an MGB gone wrong. Have to say the quality of the DNA mouldings looked excellent, though these cars may or may not be.
Dislike the moulding off another's product (if that's what's happened) although some could say the copying in the first place is wrong. Murky waters indeed.
IMHO copying an F of this vintage wasn't as serious as copying the more recent (and in some cases in production?) product, the latter which it would seem didn't raise a concern.
***Mods - delete some of this if you deem it necessary.
Old 1st June 2020, 12:48

Car photographer is on a distinguished road

Hmm, I'm confused - I may be wrong but I thought after 50 years that any copyrighted designs became released into public domain?

if this was the case how can the 'big F' stop people from copying their older cars in the first place?
Old 1st June 2020, 13:44

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

It's all very complicated, even with a background in (criminal) law I can't really fathom it -

https://www.gov.uk/browse/business/i...ctual-property

To me it looks like literary and artistic copyright lasts for 70 years after the death of the creator, but that doesn't really cover car designs.

That's more likely to come under 'Design Right' so expires a maximum of 15 years after the design was created, meaning most of the cars we're replicating are comfortably outside that time limit.

I think that the issue the big players have, like Bentley, Mercedes and Fennari, is infringement of their trademark, especially when applied to an inferior product.

Just to buck the trend, I understand from the Chesil website that Porsche actually steer potential customers who enquire about used 356's to their door, so they at least are happy to see thousands of beetle-based Speedsters representing their brand. Not too sure how they'd be about the badges, though.

Mine's going to wear Wendler Reutlingen Coach Builder badges as they're no longer trading, but I also have a couple of gold plated 'P_____e' scripts that might make an appearance...
Old 1st June 2020, 20:58

Paul L is on a distinguished road

It is a bit of a long story and based on American law, but this is a great insight into this sort of thing.

Key points seemed to be you have to defend the trade mark and some parts of a car are technical and not covered (e.g. flared wheel arches).

https://www.facebook.com/factoryfive...164897704/?t=1
Old 1st June 2020, 21:44

andysharrock is on a distinguished road

worth a watch that video it would make a good film .cheers paul
Old 1st June 2020, 23:36

smash is on a distinguished road

It's always been misuse of trade dress I.e. badging as far as I'm aware. Some names also copyright of F. I found a website once which shows all copyrights held. Jumping of F as starting point was like going down rabbit hole. Current and recent body shapes were on there as well. And the name Scaglietti. No vintage cars however. They have loads of copyrights.

Nubodi - used trade dress in commercial adverts (and biggest wing shields known to man) - jumped on. DNA - used trade dress in commercial adverts and prominently displayed at classic car shows - jumped on. GB used trade dress - jumped on (alledged).

Mirage GT - far more accurate SWB evocation than Tribute - never strayed into trade dress infringement - trading happily.

Have to remember you're dabbling in blue chip investment territory which is probably why, I'm surmising, activity is focused here rather than the MR2 based modern style offerings. It's like the family silver... which is why I had my car debadged pronto after buying.

Last edited by smash; 2nd June 2020 at 17:29..
Old 2nd June 2020, 07:15

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Default How dare you...

Caterham invoked this when 'their' design was plagiarised.

It's a jungle.

Regards, Mick
Old 4th June 2020, 10:42

Car photographer is on a distinguished road

Hmm, interesting
Old 4th June 2020, 14:28

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick O'Malley View Post
Caterham invoked this when 'their' design was plagiarised.

It's a jungle.

Regards, Mick
The 7's that emerged after were all similar but very slightly different. Must have been different enough in the eyes of the rule makers to be deemed ok.
Not sure what happened with the Cobra replica scene as I think Shelby tried the same thing but failed.
Old 4th June 2020, 20:20

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans View Post
Not sure what happened with the Cobra replica scene as I think Shelby tried the same thing but failed.
See my Post #26 above, the video is all about that.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 11th July 2020, 16:13

Munky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
It is a bit of a long story and based on American law, but this is a great insight into this sort of thing.

Key points seemed to be you have to defend the trade mark and some parts of a car are technical and not covered (e.g. flared wheel arches).

https://www.facebook.com/factoryfive...164897704/?t=1
That was really interesting. Especially the Crossley part with the Co-bra name.
Thanks for posting.
Old 11th July 2020, 18:18

Mitchelkitman is on a distinguished road

I saw (on MSN news if we can believe it) that Ferrari have lost a case for retaining their rights to the 250 GTO 'shape' as they haven't produced a vehicle - It seems they can produce scale models, as they have been actively selling them! All still looks a bit questionable IMHO.