Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Phantom GTR/Vortex Builds

Phantom GTR/Vortex Builds In a Vortex with your Phantom build? Share your build experiences here.

Old 22nd March 2008, 16:59
Enthusiast

kenmorton is on a distinguished road
Default Stoneleigh

Who's going this year?
Available from eBay
Old 24th March 2008, 22:43
Enthusiast

EddyP is on a distinguished road

I'll hopefully be there, if I can find some cash to insure and tax the Phantom
Old 26th March 2008, 08:08
Enthusiast

ricola is on a distinguished road

I'll be there, hopefully the new owner of my car will go too as he is fairly local (sale going through at the moment).
Rich
Old 26th March 2008, 13:43

Aprisa is on a distinguished road

Well done for selling the car, I can't get a sniff at 10K for mine!
Nick
Old 26th March 2008, 20:38
Kit Car Dreamer

chrisrsmorriss is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricola View Post
I'll be there, hopefully the new owner of my car will go too as he is fairly local (sale going through at the moment).
Rich
That'd be me! (just registered on the site this evening).
I hope to get down there this year, though it might be on the Monday rather than the (busier) Sunday. I should be able to pick the car up in a couple of weeks or so, and at the moment I'm looking on the internet to see what is needed to replace the Honda EFI/ignition control module with a Megasquirt-II. I was a bit concerned when I realised that the Honda V6 has a 90 degree bank angle, but I see that it has a crank with offset journals so that there is a regular firing interval (needed to use an EDIS-6 ignition driver, and a 3-way double-ended ignition coil set).
Old 26th March 2008, 21:19
Enthusiast

ricola is on a distinguished road

Sounds like those Rover manuals are getting a good thumbing Chris! I'll be following progress with the megasquirt..
Old 26th March 2008, 22:38
Enthusiast

EddyP is on a distinguished road

How come you're going down the megasquirt route rather than something like an Emerald?
I've used both emeralds and DTA before, emerald customer service was fantastic, much better than DTAs, not had a lot of experience with megasquirts, but heard about a few going pop.
Old 27th March 2008, 19:46
Kit Car Dreamer

chrisrsmorriss is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyP View Post
How come you're going down the megasquirt route rather than something like an Emerald?
I've used both emeralds and DTA before, emerald customer service was fantastic, much better than DTAs, not had a lot of experience with megasquirts, but heard about a few going pop.
I've used MS on a Hillman Imp engine in a Clan Crusader, so it's a known quantity! If I was wanting a system for a 4-cyl car now, I think I'd use the Canems one, but there's no version of their unit yet for control of the ignition in a 6-cyl motor. The Honda system on the 827 engine still uses a distributor, even though the timing is electronically controlled, so a direct-fire system will tidy things up a bit. I need to find an old crankshaft pulley from a Honda V6 so I can see how best to mount a 36-1 trigger wheel to the crank.

MS is unreliable for the injector drivers if you use low-impedance injectors. The current limiting is done in a switch-mode manner, and you have to get the parameters right first time (almost) unless you want the drive MOSFETs to go bang! I believe later versions have proper current-limited outputs controlled by local current-sensing NFB loops. (The MS I used for the Clan was a first-generation one, feeding high-impedance injectors).
Old 27th March 2008, 23:19
Enthusiast

kenmorton is on a distinguished road

Hi Chris,
welcome on board!
36-1 trigger wheel. I had one machined and screwed to the front of my pully because it was the easiest solution for mounting my crank sensor. If I remember correctly there is enough meat on the pully to actually drill the pattern into the front face if you can mount the sensor to suit.
I have used an Omex ecu and I was going to use the Honda crank and tdc sensors (mounted behind one of the camshaft pullies - 4 sensors in all giving 12 equal crankshaft positions and 1 tdc position for each bank) but the mappers said they would be happier with 36-1.
If you are going fully mapped ignition then the Ford V6 edis is the best coil pack available - £20 from the scrap yard and capable of throwing a spark across huge gaps (my back-up in case my coil packs run out of puff at 14 p.s.i.)
Injectors. Although the Honda injectors are low impedence they also have a resistor pack which effectively gives the same current requirement as high impedence injectors (but still retaining most of the supposedly faster response of the low impedence injectors)