Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Phantom GTR/Vortex Builds

Phantom GTR/Vortex Builds In a Vortex with your Phantom build? Share your build experiences here.

Old 28th June 2008, 07:09
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road
Default Kit car locations

Hi guys.

I've done a little map of events and kitcar owner locations. Where built or part built.

If you want your location added, let me know.

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...2526#post12526.

Thought this might be of some use.
Available from eBay
Old 25th February 2009, 19:33

Flip is on a distinguished road

Hi guys.

A cry for help!

I am the proud owner of a Vortex GTR which is now sitting around rusting while I am out of the country. It breaks my heart that Norman couldn't/wouldn't do a left hooker. My car is complete except for interior trim. I would like to get it into Europe so I can at least have some fun with it but am not in the UK to get it mot'd etc. and used a bit. I'll listen to any suggestions that anyone may have regarding a joint venture to get the car back in tip top condition. The car is located near Guildford.

Thanks for reading.
Old 18th April 2009, 22:54
Enthusiast

EddyP is on a distinguished road

Flip - Have you got it through SVA yet?
If you have, it shouldnt be too hard to get it MOT'd and then you can take it out the country for a year.
In fairness to Norman, there would be a huge amount of work in sorting a left hooker, so many different bits to think about.
Old 19th April 2009, 23:17
Enthusiast

kenmorton is on a distinguished road

There ain't that much to sort.
Steering just swap rack over and change rack support points.
Pedals just swap over.
Heater inlet must be easy enough to sort.
Gear lever and hand brake no difference.
Just left with new dash moulding - can't believe that would be too much work.
If I lived somewhere where they drive on the wrong side of the road I would do the mods myself.
Old 19th April 2009, 23:27
Enthusiast

EddyP is on a distinguished road

Maybe as a one off for yourself, it wouldnt be tooo bad, but for Phantom to offer it, I can see why they don't.
New mould for the bulkhead, work out how to make the heater work from the other side, which would be tricky as its air intake is on the left, not sure if they ever made any LHD MGFs?
Wiring loom would need modifying, numerous brackets would need new jigs making.
Also one major thing is the body on the drivers side is wider to enable more leg room for the pedals, is there sufficient room on the left for the pedals? not sure, but it would be a major task to modify it.
When you consider how many RHD ktis they've sold, I doubt it would have any commercial merit to put the R&D into a LHD option.
Old 11th May 2009, 17:37

Flip is on a distinguished road

Well. There is now a Vortex in the Czech Rep. I made the decision and went for it. My son and I drove the thing from Stansted airport to Brno using the Norfolk Line ferry. They were very good as I gave them warning we had low underbody clearance and they sorted it. Because of the engine mounting problems we took it gently but couldn't resist opening her up a bit on the German autobahns. The Germans were typically unimpressed but once in CZ we were photographed and even quizzed during a traffic jam around Prague. The Czech motorway (D1) nearly shook the car to pieces. We have since found various nuts on the garage floor. The car has since taken on a different interpretation of being sexy. When revved, the exhaust jiggles backwards and forwards through the bodywork like an excited penis. This could be due to missing engine mount bolts.
So Kenmorton, I may take you at your word and look at the issues involved with converting RHD to LHD, particularly as it does not appear on the MOT cert.
Phil