Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 19th April 2007, 23:05
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road

Alarm box - what?! The the alarm doesn't connect to the ecu, it's the ignition barrel mounted immobiliser unit that connects to the ECU (by one wire!). The alarm box connects to the multiplexer, but there's no involvement with the ECU. I'm damn glad I didn't bother with the Marlin "box of tricks"!

Rich, I started putting my wiring diagram (made my own loom too) on CAD, but got cheesed off with the time it takes, so sacked it off. However it's so simple, I can't see it ever being a problem.

My ECU loom works perfectly, lambda sensors (! yes I put a second in as I thought I might be able to avoid the hondata mod by using everything from the donor...immobiliser unit didn't want to play ball though) do everything they should (I've logged the dithering), and the fan output is triggering a relay. I was pretty cautious about connecting my ecu at first, as I've extended the loom by a good 3m, and was worried I'd slipped up somewhere.

If you want to cross check connection before putting power to the ecu, just drop me a PM.

As an aside, did you get the instrument panel with your ECU? The multiplex signal from the ECU can be connected straight to the dash, and everything needed on the type-r dash can be made to work. I'm now going to modify the Marlin dash to suit the Type-R instrument panel.

Hopefully I'll nab my friend's car trailer soonish, and then I'll take the car for a proper drive to check the shafts are okay.

Rich, as a final question, how are you going to mount your engine?

Cheers,

John.
Old 21st April 2007, 09:18
Enthusiast

craig is on a distinguished road

Rich, I used the us wiring as only the start relay and 02 sensors are different and it works fine, I have not wired in the 02 sensor yet as still unsure of how this is wired to the engine harness plug!

But now that I have finally received the female part of the plug (received the male first time)

I hope to get this wired soon.

Even with my limited knowledge of auto electrics I know that if you follow the us wiring that the ecu can't be fried as It is not receiving direct power its through relays.

The only honda wiring I have used is the engine harness loom!

Craig

ps Rich not sure if I pm'ed you but that guy can't supply or at least that is what he told me
Old 21st April 2007, 15:38
Enthusiast

Ric H is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alackofspeed View Post
As an aside, did you get the instrument panel with your ECU? The multiplex signal from the ECU can be connected straight to the dash, and everything needed on the type-r dash can be made to work. I'm now going to modify the Marlin dash to suit the Type-R instrument panel.
Thanks for the info. No - I didn't get the instruments so I'm using the Rover panel. I think I've sussed out how to connect everything except maybe the alternator charge warning light which doesn't seem to appear on the same pin as per hondata's wiring diagram. I think I can connect straight to the alternator though. How are you getting your speedo to read correctly, or are you using type-r size wheels? I picked up a couple of these Jaycar Speedo Corrector
- one for speedo one for tacho. I guess inserting it in the line from the VSS to the ECU would make sure the multiplexed signal was correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alackofspeed View Post
Rich, as a final question, how are you going to mount your engine?
A bit controversially (it seems from previous posts I've seen) I was going to use Marlin's method. I don't have any major concerns with it; my chassis already included a beefy front lower mount bracketed off the transmission to stop engine twist. My only issue might be that the mounting is pretty rigid which may make for high vibration. I'm going to stick with it and see how it rides I think. If it need rework afterward then I'll have to get hold of a welding set and revive my lost welding skills! I have all the original honda mounts that I could use if needed.

Richard
Old 21st April 2007, 15:46
Enthusiast

Ric H is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig View Post
I have not wired in the 02 sensor yet as still unsure of how this is wired to the engine harness plug!
I found this article on hondata's site that handily shows the wiring of narrow-band O2 sensors to PRA ecus. It shows the pinouts for the loom plug and E plug too (though the pin numbers are reversed from the tiny numbers stamped on my connectors)
http://www.hondata.com/techk20-ctr-o2wiring.html
Unfortunately it seems the UK wiring doesn't even need a relay for the O2 heater? I've already built one into my loom for it . I might re-use it for an immobiliser or something.

I decided to save on the loom plug and am going to just chop it off and re-wire to a standard multipin connector. I think you only need about 11 ways because some of the loom connections need to loop back onto the engine for the 02 sensors.

Richard
Old 21st April 2007, 22:49
Enthusiast

craig is on a distinguished road

Rich,Cheers I had looked at that diagram a couple of weeks ago but it's for both sensors and I am only using the primary so not too sure.

Your gearbox mount is the same as the elises with honda engines and yes there is a load of vibration, I take it that it is a completely rigid mount to replace the dog bone mount? Am sure I have seen a pic of the new marlin mount somewhere

They are on the elises cause they originally suffered from driveshaft problems with engine movement. I had the pleasure of a long outing in a honda elise some time back now and they are supidly fast and as our cars will be lighter.......... but the one thing that I could not help but notice was the vibration through the chassis and the subsequent noise even at low speeds
Old 22nd April 2007, 18:09
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road

Rich,

I have a signal converter for the VSS. It will go between the VSS and the dash, AFTER the signal tees for the ECU. The ECU doesn't send the signal to the dash in the UK version. You could put the signal converter before the ECU, but as the hondata calculates which gear the car is in, based on VSS signal and rpm, you'll need to change the gear ratio settings, so the ECU can correctly work out which gear the car is in.

Multiplex signal is just for water temp, and charge signal (in my application).

John.