Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Chat > General chatter

General chatter This is the place to talk about anything kit car related that doesn't come under any of the other categories

Old 15th May 2011, 10:51

artyis200 is on a distinguished road
Default papper work

hi chaps im currently building an old marlin that's never been completed before the trouble is i don't have any documents at all for the kit or the donor car, so what i need to know is how much of a problem am i going to have when it comes to the S.A.V test and registering for the road ??? what papers will i need for the sav.
Available from eBay
Old 15th May 2011, 11:37
Enthusiast

eaa53 is on a distinguished road
Default DVLA and all that

You will have problems but with tenacity and a bit of bloody mindedness you can achieve a result. This response is based on my own experience of dealing with the DVLA and VOSA

If a 'Q' plate is not an issue to you then the job is easier, you don't have to reproduce the doner details and you don't need proof of chassis purchase only ownership.

The IVA web site and documents detail the conditions they are looking for so you need to start reading and lots of it. Look for 'Colin Usher', 'Robin Hood' build on the web, very impressive write up, you may only need on chapter of his story.

I will assume IVA and passing the test are not an issue.

If you want a new registration based on IVA date you will need proof of purchase of the major components, engine, g/b, suspension, steering and chassis. The more 'new' component receipts you have the better but with out the major components you are into an age related plate at best. You are allowed one major refurbished item, invoice to prove the refurb.

Talk to Terry and see if they have the records of the original sale, Terry may have the detail to identify when that chassis was new, and the purchase details and may assist you with the evidence you will need.

For age related all you have to do is provide evidence of the doner age, that may be traced by the engine number but it will take some work to obtain that. I do not believe that a letter from the manufacture is enough to prove the engine age by the way, others have tried that and bounced off the DVLA, an appeal did succeed I understand.

The DVLA will also expect to see a photographic record of the build procedure and will ask questions like:- are you the builder, did you install the engine, did you install the suspension yourself, are you completing the build for another owner and did you take over a partial build project.

You must carefully consider your options and choose a path, my personal choice was an age related plate for a kit I was taking over from another builder, I did have the records but I also stripped the kit to is carcass and photographed the 're'-build that I had completed. It made answering the questions easier i.e. I was telling the truth all the time and have the picture to prove it.

For the engine and doner details you need to own a V5 for the doner style and type, change the DVLA records into your name and legally request to change the engine number to the one you have fitted, you then have the proof of age of the engine number. All you need to reference is the engine number on the registration request the car VIN is not required

The process is very time consuming but rewarding when you finally arrive at the result you have been working towards.

I have found that you need to know the answer before you ask the agencies the question then when you get an inexperienced desk officer you can gently request a second opinion reference documents you have copies of and/or request a referral without offending.

The rules are complex and not all the public facing officers have all the information you hand so go 'well' prepared.

I hope this helps.
Old 15th May 2011, 16:13

(If a 'Q' plate is not an issue to you then the job is easier, you don't have to reproduce the doner details and you don't need proof of chassis purchase only ownership.)

Q, plate don't bother me but proof of ownership is a problem is that ownership of the kit or the donor????
Old 15th May 2011, 18:31
Enthusiast

eaa53 is on a distinguished road

You will always need to be able to prove you have rightful ownership if asked, a receipt is usually enough.

If you are happy with a Q plate the age of the engine can be unidentified and will result in an automatic 'the age of this vehicular is unknown' outcome.

Same with the chassis, I have no idea actually what would happen if you said you did not build it and you don't know the age of the components! There is the possibility that they would refuse to register it for road use.

You have to make the choice of what you want to do then do it.

Going in half hearted may result in an outcome you did not expect and do not like.
Old 16th May 2011, 15:17

thanks very much for all the help and advice chaps,but to save all the hassle iv just sold the car as it is, and its on way to Holland at the start of July.