Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 1st January 2012, 14:19

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

I used to have a 1950 Chevy Fleetline 2 door fastback that I mildly Customized in a 50's Lead Sled style...nothing too tacky , just subtle touches.

I did some shopping around for tail lights back then....nearly 25 years ago ...but cars like 1949 Buick , 1949/50 Chevy , 1948 Caddy , 1949/50 Oldsmobile , 1948/50 Pontiac etc etc. all offer useable lights for that curved rear fender ....going to be cheaper as well....

The original lights on my '50 were pretty ....I kept them on the car in the end , just swapping out the reflector and replacing it with an indicator .They would sit quite nicely.....
Old 24th January 2012, 09:32

Jleahy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot link View Post
looking good John...

That picture ( along with the fact that there are millions of them out there ) demonstrates perfectly why I think the MX5 is going to be a very credible donor for years to come....

SVA here in the U.K. is a pain , but not unsurmountable....

Hi,

following this thread with interest, do you think a body to fit the Mx5 wheel base will be an otpion in the UK?

I am looking at a project now and in the process of stripping a 1.8, other than MEV there isn't that much out there at a resonable price.

The only drawback i can see would be fabricating a spaceframe at a resonable price if the body could not be made to fit the existing mx5 body (stripped)

on the other hand as mentined before in the threads there are a lot of pros (if looking for a cheap rwd single donor car with a 4 cylinder engine)
Old 3rd February 2012, 00:10

jmc14 is on a distinguished road

Exciting news today. I received a call from the shipping company and my widened Sammio body is scheduled to arrive in the USA tomorrow. But, they also tell me that it can take up to 3 weeks for it to clear customs. So, I am anxiously waiting and on hold for up to another few weeks.

In the mean time Gary's friend Chris has modified the Cordite picture so that it has the correct 65.9 inch width and 89.2 inch wheel base, and wheels of the Miata. Oh yeah, the steering wheel and head fairing are on the correct side of the car now!

I plan to change my bonnet so that it looks like the Cordite.

Jleahy, I would bet that Gary will have an MX5 kit in the future. I stripped the body off of one of my Miata's looking at the possibility of grafting the new body on it. In the end i decided not to do this. I unbolted the unibody and I am building a space frame for the suspension cradles to bolt into. The chassis will be stiffer, look much better, and the finished car with will be around 1400lbs. Much lighter than if I just grafted a body on it.

While I like the idea of the Exocet, I muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch prefer the look of Gary's body.

Last edited by jmc14; 3rd February 2012 at 00:36..
Old 3rd February 2012, 13:04

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc14 View Post
Oh yeah, the steering wheel and head fairing are on the correct side of the car now!
I don't think so...

We drive on the left because the left side's the right side and the right side's the wrong side.

Aside from that particular difference of opinion, that's a great looking car you've photo-shopped. If it looks half as good in the flesh you're on to a winner.

By the way, I'm sure you can get bolt on wires for the Miata hubs as I've seen a second hand set sell on ebay recently. Would be good business sense to offer customers a period alternative to the Mazda minilite replicas.
Old 3rd February 2012, 13:54

Thanks Mister Towed for the heads up about the bolt on wire hub caps. That would be a great look at an inexpensive price.

Chris is working on a rear and side view for me. Then we will have it set up so that with a click of the button you can change colors. Looking to have bright red, deep red, black, Cordite blue, dark blue, silver, and yellow. Also, to have several different wheels that can be changed with a click.

I will be setting up a Website shortly so that potential customers can play with colors and wheels and watch the progress of the kit being developed.

Having fun, John
Old 3rd February 2012, 14:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc14 View Post
Thanks Mister Towed for the heads up about the bolt on wire hub caps. That would be a great look at an inexpensive price. John
I actually meant proper wires rather than push fit basket hubcaps.

http://daytonwirewheels.com/gallery/...rtscar003.html

Not too sure about the inexpensive price...
Old 3rd February 2012, 15:06

Yeah, I know about these. They are very expensive. Oh well. I like the idea of a wire hub cap!
Old 4th February 2012, 09:29

The second hand set that went on ebay sold for about £380, which I guess is about $550.

We're pretty lucky over here, by using the old Triumphs as a donor we can get a set of splined adaptors for the equivalent of about $400 and a set of five rusty MGB wires for sandblasting will set you back as little as £10 on ebay.

Fifteen bucks and a little elbow grease for a set of period looking wheels ain't bad in any currency.

Mmmmmmm. Cheeeeap wheels...
Old 6th February 2012, 22:00

Chris has made a few more photoshop renditions of the Cordite widened and lengthened to the Miata dimensions.

I also had an "Eureka" moment day concerning the frame to connect the Miata's suspension cradles together. Now, when will customs release my body so that I can get started!

Old 7th February 2012, 07:39

Looking good. Love the wrap-around screen. Good luck with customs, I guess it's like the UK where the occupation attracts mean spirited jobsworths with no friends...
Old 7th February 2012, 22:52

I like the wrap around windscreen as well. I plan to have functioning doors on the kits I supply. This will allow the use of side screens. Here is one more picture. Gary's friend Chris has been doing these for me. We are done with the 3 views. Now Chris is doing the different views in several colors. Silver, BRG, Black, Yellow, Dark blue, red of course, Cordite blue, and Deep red.

Old 9th February 2012, 00:00

Here are some other colors.

Old 9th February 2012, 09:09

garyh is on a distinguished road
Default Patton, have you seen the 'YELLOW'

That will stand out on a dull February day in Blighty... and will look great in
Old 9th February 2012, 09:11

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

My blue G46 may have just become a burgundy G46. Hmm...
Old 9th February 2012, 09:43

AndyP57 is on a distinguished road

Anyone know the RAL code for Triumph Damson code 17?
I'm going with the colour of my original donor.
Old 9th February 2012, 09:45

froggyman is on a distinguished road

Looking good, like the colours, shame about the wheels!!!!!
Old 9th February 2012, 10:32

GazDavies is on a distinguished road

I really like the look of that in burgundy! Do you have any pics of the car in silver?
Old 9th February 2012, 11:33

I had Chris do Silver and British Racing Green as well. I didn't think that they were quite right. I thought the green was a little to yellow and the silver more grey. (You guys would know more about the Green. Am I right?) Chris is making some corrections. Once I get them I will post them. In the mean time here is what He sent.

I am a visual person. I need to see things. i thought that having the car in different colors would be helpful. He is doing the other 2 views for me in all of the colors as well. Have fun dreaming.

By the way. I think the car looks great. I don't usually like yellow. But, I have to say I like the Yellow picture. Actually I want one of each!

Old 9th February 2012, 11:38

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Can you get him to put the wheels from this picture on or is that difficult?

I also think this photo and the one above it in the original posting show off the car better.

Still, love what he has done with the colours and agree about the green and grey needing tweaking. The grey looks too close to undercoat.
Old 9th February 2012, 11:54

garyh is on a distinguished road
Default I don't think it's a freebie, WCA.

Otherwise i would ask to see an old english white car...