Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 23rd December 2013, 18:41

Rudycob1 is on a distinguished road
Default G-46 questions.

Hi Guys,
I'm still fairly new to here so please bear in mind that I'm still learning and doing my research if some of my questions seem obvious to some.

As I said still doing my research on which kit to go for next year and I am looking for a 1940s or 1950s inspired replica designed car. Really interested in the kits that have a resemblance to a Ferrari of these eras.

Would like something that will look period and also sounds good. Therefore a V6 or a V8 will be the ultimate in terms of sound. But not essential. Ideally a re body, so no IVA.

Now for the G-46. First question. Is this still available as I read some interesting posts on here which give a rather confusing message as to the availability and reliability of supply. Can somebody clarify the situation please so as not to arrive at the wrong conclusions. Who is producing them?

In view of the fact that they are based on the SE5, which are not the easiest donor to come across in reasonable mechanical condition, has anybody come up with any other alternative donors to consider?

I do not know if I've posted this in the correct place so if I have not, I apologise in advance.

Thanks for all you support, in advance, and Happy Christmas to all.
Available from eBay
Old 23rd December 2013, 19:51

GazDavies is on a distinguished road

Hi Rudycob1,

The G46 kit is still available and is being sold by ribble kits. I purchased the moulds from Gary 18 months ago and made sure that all previous orders were fulfilled so there are a few still being built at the moment although I have been unable to keep as up to date as I would have liked due to my working abroad all year in places that don't have reliable lines of communication. Because of this I would suggest that the best person to contact would be AndyP57, who can often reply to any queries much quicker than I can, either by pm on here or at andyp@ribble-kits.co.uk.

As for donor cars, SE5s have a lot going for them, easy to work on, V6 engine sounds great, cheap and plentiful parts etc. Another option that I considered was a TVR wedge although these are often more expensive to buy and would require the kit to be shortened to get the correct wheel base but a nice fast V8 version would be fantastic!
Old 24th December 2013, 07:58

AndyP57 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Gaz.

Rudycob1. I can confirm that the moulds are here and waiting to be put to good use

Let me know if you need any further information regarding times, costs and suchlike.
Old 24th December 2013, 08:56

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Hi rubycob1 - You sound like you are in a similar position to what I was in January 2012. I hope you get the car you want with a bit less pain than me. I had similar criteria to yours so I bought a V8 TVR. It was in good mechanical condition and the shell was reasonable. It is always worth buying the best you can get.

Then I was persuaded by some TVR lovers that it was too good to cut up so I decided to keep it and go for a Scimitar. I ended up selling the TVR to Chris at Tribute Automotive (the forum below this one) who cut it up anyway and turned it first into a Ferrari 250 and then a D Type.

When I bought the Scimitar I ignored the advice to buy the best you could afford and spent the following 9 months stripping back, cleaning up, welding together and rebuilding. The engine bay needed more than the usual detailing.

Then I had a slight accident. This put everything on hold for 6 months while they decided whether I would keep the foot or not. It became clear I wouldn't be driving a manual geared car any time soon so I sold my G46 to MickeyMo who is now reselling it having put the finishing touches and paint onto it. I believe that make it the first (only?) G46 on the road with MOT and I am pleased to have sold it to someone who made such aa good job of it. After the work I put in it would have been a shame to see it rust away.

While laid in bed I had plenty of time to think and plan. My criteria had changed slightly in that I needed an automatic now. most old automatics are pretty rubbish so I started looking at more modern cars. This made the whole rebody thing more challenging as it is harder with modern monocoques. I found the Tribute site with the MX5 Ferraris but wanted more than 4 cylinders and a better noise. After lots of thinking I decided a BMW 2.8 would be a good engine and as the panels on a Z3 unbolted it would be a good donor. A bit of research into period cars that I liked the shape of led me to the Maserati 300S and as it was a modern car the time was taken getting the kit built for me rather than rebuilding the donor. These are now available as kits.

Sorry for the long post but it has been a long journey. I thought I would share so you can see what happens to great plans
Old 24th December 2013, 10:15

Hi Andy,
I would be interested in as much information that you could give me. Details, dimensions of wheelbase and front and rear track, overall sizes, etc. so I can look at donor options.
Lead times for the kit and what is included, price list, etc.
Are all the parts available, such as the aero screen, light pods, light covers, doors, etc. I need to know that everything to finish the car is available please.
You could email me at rudy.micallef1@btinternet.com so as to keep things private if you wish.
Have a Happy Christmas and a great 2014.
Can you also forward me your contact details.
Thanks
Rudy
Old 24th December 2013, 10:31

Hi World Class Accident,
Thanks for your reply. First I'm sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation and the events that led from that. Hope you are OK now.
Yes it looks like I'm in a very similar situation to how you were and being a bit of a petrol head I like to research my projects and plan them to the finer detail so as to know what I aim to achieve and how I am going to do this. I'm not new to the kit car scene and have owned a Cobra with a 460bhp tuned Chevy striker which was built to concours condition. After 7 years and only 2300 miles I decided to sell it and started my next project. This I still own and intent to keep.
It's a DNA 430 spider which is currently having a 3.0 V6 with some modifications fitted to it. If interested you can see my build tread on the DNAOC.
So now I'm getting ready for my next project and want something a little bit classic looking but with the grunt to match the looks. I also would like to replicate the detail and finish as much as economically viable. That said it's got to look right.
I like the sound of the TVR wedge being used as a donor and will be looking into this option. How did the dimensions work? Wheelbase, track, distance to bulkhead, etc. what about the windscreen, was this simply being cut off?
Has anybody looked at the Jaguar XJS? Will this work? A nice engine and lots of them about at reasonable money.
Any info that you could give me would be appreciated and I'm including my email address in case you wish to contact me in private. Rudy.micallef1@btinternet.com.
Hope you get the car that you want done and thanks for your input and advise.
Happy Christmas and a great 2014.
Old 24th December 2013, 17:42
Enthusiast

micky1mo is on a distinguished road

Hi Rudycob!,as WCA says ! have nearly finish a G-46 which will be sold when completed but I am thinking of build another one using a LOTUS Elite or Elcat as a donor.
This is not only because I have one but the wheel base ect is close to a SE5 with the chassis, running gear and engine (160bhp) being just a bit more sporty.
The construction tecnique would be very similar to the original using the floor-pan and baulk-head but a steel cage-frame would have to be custom made to support the G-46 body work.

The cost of these car range from £500 up, the S11 have a galvanized chassis and of course not forgetting V8 conversions of this car are very common

A simple task for a man of your experience
Old 24th December 2013, 18:54

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

The cost of these car range from £500 up

Mine was £150 plus the cost of the tractor forklift to get it out the field!
Old 25th December 2013, 08:58
Enthusiast

Should be worth a lot more now!!!
Old 25th December 2013, 10:29

Thanks for all your advise. A lot of food for thought.
Does anyone have the dimensions of the G46?
This would be very useful in considering a donor.
I think that with cars like these, the donor is very important because at the end of the day, that is what is under the skin and besides the looks, everything else is from the donor. Must admit the sound of a nicely tuned V8 will take a lot to beat.
Old 11th January 2014, 18:44
Enthusiast

I'm in Swindon, Wiltshire, just 10 min from J16,M4 so if you want to see a complete G-46 in the flesh you welcome.
The kettle is always on you bring the cookies
Old 11th January 2014, 21:52

Dougie.Doo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldClassAccident View Post
What car/chassis is this "G466" built on, eh? Its looking mighty fine. Aboot how much would it cost to build a similir example?
Old 12th January 2014, 08:19
Enthusiast

The G-46 uses the Scimitar SE5/5A GTE as a donor.

As for build costs you will have to talk to Andy57 at Ribble Kits.

The car in the photo will be for sale in a few weeks.
Old 12th January 2014, 09:45

scimjim is on a distinguished road

I think there are 3 scimitar SE5/5a in Canada and none of them were for sale
Old 12th January 2014, 18:08
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by scimjim View Post
I think there are 3 scimitar SE5/5a in Canada and none of them were for sale
I exported a SE5a Scimitar to Toronto, Canada a few years back.
The guy re-sprayed it beige.
It looked a real nice job to