Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 6th May 2015, 16:56

Danny_HUFC is on a distinguished road

I moved this thread to the general build area but I'm going to keep it here now as tribute are going to be involved in the project now as its changed!

The initial idea was to replicate a newer £100k AMG G wagon using the ML chasis/engin/running gear/interior etc however.....

Instead of replicating a £100k motor, I thought why not go all out and relicate a £500k motor!

Old 6th May 2015, 17:20

landmannnn is on a distinguished road

Now you are making sense!
Old 6th May 2015, 17:31

Nice little article and loads of pictures on the Mercedes 6x6 here...

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...florida-975000
Old 6th May 2015, 17:35

Sorry wrong link, this is the review...

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/...nz/g63-amg-6x6
Old 6th May 2015, 17:53

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

If you don't fancy the hassle of the extra axle there is always the 4x4 ^2

Old 6th May 2015, 17:54

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

4x4[super]2[/super]
or
4x4 to the power 2
or
4x4 squared
[EDIT]
damn, can't work out superscript
Old 6th May 2015, 19:50

To be honnest WCA its going to be a 4x4 that looks like a 6x6! Will be the usual merc drive with a trailing axcel at the back. Will need a full air suspension lift kit of course and some megga tyres.

Does anyone know of any style wheels that look like this or similar?..

Old 6th May 2015, 19:51

Danny, are you thinking of going down the portal axle route?

The portals on the proper one make it look right.

Unimog portals are too big, but Volvo portals can be had for reasonable money and will fit quite easily I think. Those wheels are bolt on beadlockers for standard 8 spokes.

6 x 4 would be a lot easier!
Old 7th May 2015, 06:48

a big scary monster is on a distinguished road

Doesnt the ML have independent front suspension? You will have to check the max lift it will take, dont think you could jack it up enough to match rear portals without serious front inner arch chopping,.

For your wheels ebay search weld on bead lock ring lots of companies make them and my friend has some fitted on his land cruiser that would make wheels look similar, you will have to play with your diff ratios once your tyres are up to 35" I have kumho KL tyres on my Jeep they look fantastic and are quiet on road and reasonable off it, go on difflock forum they are the bods for technical questions. Ed
But don't chop the back body off and fit an alloy truck back and 35" tyres in the garage before you have measure the door, it took a good few ratchet straps and laughing to get it out.
http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...&pictureid=420

Last edited by a big scary monster; 7th May 2015 at 07:23.. Reason: adding pic
Old 7th May 2015, 06:51

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Danny - Your first re-body idea looked like a "simple" plan, even if it required serious skills to pull it off.

Whereas this looks like a seriously challenging project from start to finish.

Dare I ask if adding the extra axle will open up the whole IVA can of worms?

Good luck, Paul.
Old 7th May 2015, 07:26

DSG4ME is on a distinguished road

Looks like an interesting project.

Something similar to the MB G63 AMG 6X6 that Michael Douglas drives in his new movie "Beyond the Reach".

Old 7th May 2015, 07:46

garyh is on a distinguished road

Ideally suited to an expensive builder...
Old 7th May 2015, 09:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by landmannnn View Post
Danny, are you thinking of going down the portal axle route?

The portals on the proper one make it look right.

Unimog portals are too big, but Volvo portals can be had for reasonable money and will fit quite easily I think. Those wheels are bolt on beadlockers for standard 8 spokes.

6 x 4 would be a lot easier!
Landmannn I'm just looking into all the options at the min but had a look at portals and it looks a good route (depending on price). As the G body will be grafted onto the ML chasis/floor plan, Il be able to have that raised more than usual to give me extra clearance aswell.
Old 7th May 2015, 09:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by a big scary monster View Post
Doesnt the ML have independent front suspension? You will have to check the max lift it will take, dont think you could jack it up enough to match rear portals without serious front inner arch chopping,.

For your wheels ebay search weld on bead lock ring lots of companies make them and my friend has some fitted on his land cruiser that would make wheels look similar, you will have to play with your diff ratios once your tyres are up to 35" I have kumho KL tyres on my Jeep they look fantastic and are quiet on road and reasonable off it, go on difflock forum they are the bods for technical questions. Ed
But don't chop the back body off and fit an alloy truck back and 35" tyres in the garage before you have measure the door, it took a good few ratchet straps and laughing to get it out.
http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...&pictureid=420

Il have a look about for bead lock rings but what whees do they weld/bolt onto?

That link doesnt work.
Old 7th May 2015, 09:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Danny - Your first re-body idea looked like a "simple" plan, even if it required serious skills to pull it off.

Whereas this looks like a seriously challenging project from start to finish.

Dare I ask if adding the extra axle will open up the whole IVA can of worms?

Good luck, Paul.
Paul, I think I'l be going about the body swap 1st then sending paperwork off etc to re register it as a Mercedes 'whatever I like', which will probibly somthing like 'Mercedes G6X6' so will be correct 'ish' on the logbook then worry about the extra 2 wheels later.....
Old 7th May 2015, 09:57

Try that link
Done some more digging the G Wagen has solid axles whereas the ML has independent suspension all round, this may actually make a replica more straightforward as welding on panhard rod, shock,spring mounts etc is serious geometry not to mention chassis modification plus its very difficult to get them to drive straight and wobble free, I have built 2 serious off roaders that where road legal a couple of dedicated off roaders off Suzuki chassis and helped friends on there off road quarry basher projects and they only ones that work safely on the road are when the suspension was left mainly standard and the body inner metal is chopped to take the big tyres, generally the only reason suspension is lifted is to fit the bigger tyres on as it is only tyres that give you more clearance particularly on a solid axle. Therefore I would suggest sticking standard ish suspension height with wound up front torsion bar or proprietary air ride all round fit the tyre size you want and then chop the g wagen inner body to suit. This way the extra axle can just sit there looking pretty with a simple suspension set up I'd look at a torsion bar set up off a hatch back with ML hubs added as the brakes will have to work, its never going to be a serious off roader but it will look tremendous and should be nice to drive, the picture link is my mates land cruiser we cut the back body off after a tree incident added an alloy truck back body and winch chopped the inner arches and external arches at the front added 35" tyres and then had to ratchet the suspension down 3" and deflate tyres to get it out of the garage, that motor is superb off road and is on completely standard suspension, is my point. Ed let me know if the link works it does on mine.
Old 7th May 2015, 10:13

Un finished but next to a standard but over tyred land cruiser both standard suspension.can't find a PIC of bead locker wheels.

Suzuki built for my daughter pretty standard leaf springs sat on 31" tyres with body chopped and plus 2" land rover arches drives bang on, ratios altered to compensate for tyres land cruiser 3.0 deisel will cope with 35's on standard gearing.
Looks like you are lucky the ML has a very popular stud pattern 5x112 so finding steel wheels should be easy there are plenty banded ones off VW's on eBay so once your at rolling chassis stage it should be easy to work out what offset you need, I will check with my friend where he gets his tyres from I think they are in Nottingham and pretty cheap I recon you will get 6 wheels and tyres and bead locks for around £1500 but check on tyre prices before commiting to wheels same size tyres for 15,16,17" rims can vary A LOT. ED

Last edited by a big scary monster; 7th May 2015 at 10:41.. Reason: adding tyre info without hijacking thread.
Old 7th May 2015, 18:28

Old 16th May 2015, 17:39

redratbike is on a distinguished road

These any good

http://www.raceways.co.uk/Worx_804_T...lloy_wheel.htm
Old 24th May 2015, 16:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by redratbike View Post
Sorry, just seen this post. Im looking to get as close to the origional 6x6 as possible but im really struggling!

I have a slot for the end of July for the body swap but Im hoping to have portal axels fitted to the ML and wheels and tyres 1st but I'm having trouble! Ive found a company that do portal axels for G wagons but I'm needing them for an ML!