Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 25th January 2008, 17:04
Enthusiast

craig is on a distinguished road
Default Peeved off!

Feel totally pissed off tonight, been of today and out of bed early to get the car hopefully to a point of fitting the dash and screen......

Got to about 2pm and all was ready for the dash so getting quite excited about trimming it and finally getting it in for good!

Thought I had better check everything one last time, last thing to check was the heater/blower and nothing. I have been messing about with it since but with my limited knowledge of electrics no luck.

This has been wired for about 10 months and worked fine so i know it was wired correctly the first time, however I have wired an aweful lot under the dash since and could have possibly changed something!

At a total loss, on ign 2 I tested the plug leading to the control unit but none of them had power.

I was going to be filling out my sva form tonight but can't see this happening for quite sometime now

Craig
Available from eBay
Old 25th January 2008, 20:58
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

It might just be a blown fuse?
Worth checking before ripping it all out again.
Take a fresh look in the morning......
Old 26th January 2008, 16:40
Enthusiast

Right I have got the fan working again...not sure how but it's working

I am presuming I have somewhere along the line crossed some feed ign 2 wires as I now no longer have hazards or indicators!! The relay clicks but only spits out 0.51 volts down the load line so I think this is just a bad relay, however this will be the 4th relay in a many months hmmm.

Now that the fan is working I also have another problem in that to get the fan working I started to cut ign 2 wires as these are what I have recently (3 months) been splicing for gauges etc etc but in doing so and having thought I had solved the problem by cutting a ign 2 wire and not reconnecting it as everything seemd fine realised that my indicators were not clicking the relay (hazards fine)

If I reconnect this wire on to the other ign 2 wire the hazard switch will prime the fuel pump!!!!!

Anyway I seem to have found a way round but am unsure if its correct or ok to do this so thought I would ask! I currently have a spare ign 2 wire from the ign barrel and if I connect it to this my electrics seem fine ie what I can test seems to work.

Realise this is long but any comments welcome or ideas on what I have done wrong

Cheers
Craig
Old 26th January 2008, 19:55
Enthusiast

DavidH is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig View Post
I currently have a spare ign 2 wire from the ign barrel and if I connect it to this my electrics seem fine ie what I can test seems to work.

Trying to get this straight in my head without the wiring in front of me with which to reference. From what I think your describing the setup you have in order to save wires to the IGN2 circuit on the barrel you have just a couple of wires coming off to which you then splice all the circuits (with independent fuses ?) you want on IGN2, rather that all wires going to the switch barrel.

If you put all the load circuits on one of these wires it fails but if you split them across the two wires its ok.

If this is the case then it sounds like you have been trying to pull too much current per the rating of any single wire.

Assuming there is nothing else in series on these wires prior to your loads then balancing the loads across the two wires is fine (all the loads are still in parallel) providing you are not overloading the switch rating or any master fuse rating.
Old 26th January 2008, 20:01
Enthusiast

Cheers for advice david I think I need to trace some of my wiring back and do it again as what I think??? I have done is splice off the fuel pump wiring to feed some of the electrics as it is green along with my ign 2 wire.

I have wired in a start button with ign 2 within this so thinking about my dilemma I cant rely on using another ign 2 from barrel otherwise I will always have to have the key on ign 2 which sort of defeats the object haha

Craig
Old 27th January 2008, 06:36
Enthusiast

SDMC001 is on a distinguished road

Craig

Not sure if it was really necessary, althouh now reading your thread maybe it was, I put a relay in line with the heater, which should take some strain off the wiring.

In the matter of the indicators and hazards, I had issues with mine, I ended up with two inicator relays, one for the indicators, and one the hazards. If I remember, the rationale was the indicators needed power from the green switch wire, but hazzards a perminant live purple which some how bled power through even when the ignition was off as you would expect, as the two were linked. I thought the hazzard switch would not do this when not in use, but some how it does, and after a lot of head scratching, I spoke to Simon at Marlin who made the reccomendation, I felt this was a bodge up, as I was useing the reccomended Hazzard switch, but hey it worked, could this be an issue you have come up against.

Best of luck

Steve
Old 27th January 2008, 09:49
Enthusiast

Hi Steve, both my hazards and indicators have worked fine the issue I have with them is that I am now on about my 3 or 4th relay at £10 a pop in as many months!

I replace relay and they work fine both indicators and hazards but within 3-4 weeks I will put on either hazards or indicators and although the relay will click nothing will work.......I will then test the voltage on the load side of the relay and it will be 0.51 volts instead of the 6-7 volts I would normally get so relay knackered. Something is causing me to go through relays at a very fast rate and I can imagine when using the car it would be an aweful lot faster!

Craig
Old 27th January 2008, 13:14
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road

Craig,

Can you draw up a wiring diagram of what you've got?

John.
Old 27th January 2008, 14:52
Enthusiast

John, nothing in life is impossible but that in my eyes is as close to it as it gets (for me anyway) I wire a little at a time piece by piece and have not taken any notes.

Infact I may aswell have done what Jerry did because although I started with the right colour wires I soon started using whatever I had left.

Thanks for the help though
Old 27th January 2008, 16:04
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

Craig. Not sure if this is the problem you have.

I had a problem where the hazard relay would yelp a high pitched noise. Either through indicators or hazards.

The problem was there was no load on the relay. IE no lights connected up.
Old 27th January 2008, 17:00
Enthusiast

Hi John, my lights are all connected up and work fine! I dont normally have the rear clam connected though
Old 27th January 2008, 20:28
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

Don't matter as long as you have something connected.

It was a shot in the dark. Sorry I can't help.