Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10th August 2013, 08:14

AndyP57 is on a distinguished road
Default Testing the water

Although we've been beavering away with the current range, we've also been working towards releasing some new blood for next year. I can't give much away about the actual shape of the cars yet but there's one of them that I feel I'd like to hear some feedback from this forum. It may not be to all your tastes but this one strays away from our usual thinking in that it will require an IVA and is not sourced from a single donor (So may incur a 'Q' Plate).

Working with a well known expert in his field, we are producing a custom Chassis with a wheelbase in excess of 102" so it's big 'un. Body style is a 2 seater (Plus 2 at a push) with options for a full height windscreen allowing a possible soft or hard top (We haven't got that far yet). The chassis will be a ladder style with outriggers and will incorporate MGB front crossmember and suspension with uprated springs. As yet undecided about the rear but potentially from the MGB too as it has a simple leaf spring mounting and the roadster diff is built to take a decent amount of power.

Engine choice is currently the Jaguar XK straight six (Anything from 2.4 to 4.2 Litre) mated to either a manual or Automatic gearbox. (This car wouldn't seem 'wrong' with an auto) and from our development thus far doesn't look like it will be a complicated build. The moulds (which we we already have) are clean, parallel and well finished so it shouldn't take much to put the 'pretty' on.

Reasons for the choice of suspension and engine are that the parts are individually available in good quantity out there in eBay land at a very good price (Engine/Box combos can be found around the £250 - £350 mark and I just bought a full MGB front crossmember with suspension for £31!) Parts are, again, very easily available for refurbishing them and, if anything, cheaper than the Triumph parts.

As more details solidify I'll be posting on this thread. Before anyone asks, I have no idea of price as yet but will be keeping it 'real' in our usual way.

Flood gates are now officially open
Available from eBay