Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 3rd June 2012, 09:09

hesh is on a distinguished road
Default New Fledgling project

Hi People!,

I have just acquired a 1971 13/60 herald convertible, in some state of deterioration.

see here for pics
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3&l=cb44a2cab9

its going to be along road, but as the body is too far gone for me to repair, and to be honest i am not really a fan of the heralds aesthetics, i plan on building a sammio spyder, double hump german bonnet, with the new door option as per the cordite.

so i am on here to ask if there are any owners, or people in mid build, around my neck of the woods, durham north east england, who could maybe show me over the cars, what they have done etc, so i can get a head start on the research aspect of my plan.

really interested in the planned sammio meet up too..if its going to happen (aint read all the thread yet)

cheers all

Si

Last edited by hesh; 3rd June 2012 at 09:10.. Reason: spelling
Available from eBay
Old 3rd June 2012, 09:19

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the fold Hesh. Not in your neck of the woods I'm afraid, I live in the mystic east.

The best advice I can give you is to get the chassis, drivetrain and electrics all fully sorted before fitting the body as access is pretty tight with it on.

I'm not overly familiar with the geography oop north, but how far are you from Preston? It might be worth you paying a visit to AndyP57, the new company owner...

Oh, and please post lots of pics as you progress. We like pics...
Old 3rd June 2012, 09:33

Hi, Mr Towed..( with i name like that do you break down alot??)

pics of what we have done so far should be in the link, as i will drop everything in that Facebook album and share it out. could you confirm the link actually works?

i do plan on getting her fully sorted chassis wise, as i know the passenger outriggers front and rear have parted with the main rail. (hence the body twist inthe early pics) engine out and new mounts ets. so i am conservatively 12-14 months for body fitting/purchase

preston is lanchashire/ way isnt it? i am about 140 miles north , 12 miles outta newcastle. (off j63 of the A1 for the spotters)

Last edited by hesh; 3rd June 2012 at 17:39..
Old 3rd June 2012, 10:04

Yes, link works fine. Take a look at the thread below if you'd like to be able to post pictures and video clips directly -

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...ead.php?t=3076

It looks like you're a little over 100 miles from Preston according to Google maps, but it's motorway all the way.

And yes, my chosen moniker is an acknowledgement that, after years of running old beetles, type 3 Variants, Consuls etc, I expect old cars to break down regularly, although I'm hoping I've got this one properly sorted...
Old 3rd June 2012, 10:45

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Wotcha Si and welcome.

Your donor looks.... a challenge Best of luck to you.

Dave
Old 3rd June 2012, 11:29

Don't fret too much about the condition of your donor, it just adds to the challenge. In the words of the wise Yoda 'Impossible is nothing' -

And finally, one of my favourite pictures...

Old 3rd June 2012, 14:22

Patton is on a distinguished road

Hello Si, I've already started my second one the first being Skippy (skip diver special) a recycler several bits have being recovered/reused from said depositries un painted she was less than £2.5k to get on the road... welcome from Devon
Old 3rd June 2012, 16:58

Default thanks guys,

cheers for the welcome Patton

And mr towed i have to say i saw your rebuild thread earlier, and it gave me great hope!
Old 3rd June 2012, 17:28

chap68 is on a distinguished road

hi there these are fab little cars it looks like your chassis needs lots of work and can be costly i have a perfect chassis for sale no welding its excellent and blasted ready for paint and also a full set of out riggers side rails and rear body mount rails for sale if you are intrested? thanks Andy, 07533285371.
Old 3rd June 2012, 17:35

cheers Chap 68, the outrigger may be of use, though the complete chassis (i hope) wont be needed. i would prefer to use the original chassis from my car as much as possible, seeing as she was a genuine "barn find" and to date has already made me back the purchase price in selling off the parts.

can you send me some costs either by pm, or to ellisautos@btinternet.com?

si
Old 3rd June 2012, 18:01

tlrtone is on a distinguished road

Hi Si, and welcome to the madhouse.

You certainly like a challenge by the looks of it, and Helen makes such a glamourous assistant as she commented, so you should do fine!

As Mr T says, we like lots of pics of progress, and it looks like you and Oford1360 have a race on
Old 3rd June 2012, 18:03

ahhh forums, a great place to loose huge sums of money very fast if you get into "competition" builds... i did that with my last two cars...a nissan stagea and skyline.

lovely motors .. will post up pics if anyone would like to see, but thought i would ask first as its kinda wayyyy off topic!
Old 3rd June 2012, 18:47

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

I think I'll be last in any race. If anybody is slower than me they will be going backwards and end-up with a rusty Herald.

One thing that I do is to make virtual progress and buy the the bits that you know that you really need as and when the funds allow. It feels as if you are making progress and there is an element of pleasure from seeing a "stock cupboard" of Sammio parts (I occasionally caress my pair of Lucas 488s). Then, when the day of construction comes, you have the items to hand.

The converse of that is NEVER buy bits that you are not sure that you are going to use. There is a chance that you will change your mind. I've bought and sold two sets of wheels plus a few other items because I bought them on a whim - sometimes at midnight on a Friday........

In short, don't make decisions until you have to.
Old 3rd June 2012, 18:53

sound advice on that score methinks
Old 3rd June 2012, 21:27

Ha ha, that's the truth alright. I'm on my third set of rear lights already and I still haven't bonded the body on...
Old 4th June 2012, 09:52

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Welcome Hesh ....not sure if we have spoken yet or not , but any questions , please feel free to give me a call .....07970 636986

Looks like the kit transfers to Preston are going to help you out with collection ....

That was another factor in my decision to get Andy involved , his location opens up the kits to the far end of the country ..we are about as South as it gets without getting your feet wet ( quite literally , Poole harbour is about 500 yards behind our workshop ! ) , The Northern sector now has a decent location to see the product and collect kits etc....
Old 4th June 2012, 15:43

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

Don't forget, Hesh, you have to stare at your donor and bodywork regularly. This is usually when you have finished a task.
"Hmmm, if I were to do that, I could then do......"

Hours of fun.
Old 4th June 2012, 15:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford1360 View Post
Don't forget, Hesh, you have to stare at your donor and bodywork regularly. This is usually when you have finished a task.
"Hmmm, if I were to do that, I could then do......"

Hours of fun.
Yep, staring is great. Almost as good as engine revving and, at the stage mine's at, just sitting in it.
Old 4th June 2012, 21:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
Yep, staring is great. Almost as good as engine revving and, at the stage mine's at, just sitting in it.
oh yes i am well accomplished i spent hours of my life "just finishing up dear" as the saying goes.. really looking forward to getting stuck in .. if i can ever get the darn thing out the field ..
Old 5th June 2012, 06:40

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

I am glad you took as much notice as I did to the wise advice "Get the best donor car you can find"