Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 9th January 2007, 18:12
Enthusiast

MikeN is on a distinguished road
Cool Steering Universal Joint

Can anyone clear up the confusion I have with this. My donor was a R25 with a power steering type column. The rack I have was supplied by marlin. Not sure which type it is but does not require the spline lopping off our shortening.
Now when I mated the rack male spline up to the doner UJ female spline the latter was to big.
I questioned Mark at Marlin at the time (about a year ago) and he said it's fine, just really overtighten the pinch bolt.
This I did. But now I am thinking that this really can't be right and let's face it potentially down right dangerous.
A spline is a precision engineered method of locating two parts together for transmitting torsional forces. If the female and male splines are not the right size then its wrong!

Anyway has anyone else experienced this (using power steering column) and if so how did they get around it. Is there a Rover model that uses the right size UJ?

Second and last question (for now) also on the steering column, has anyone been able to utilise the steering rake adjuster without it fowling the dashboard scuttle.

Cheers for now

Mike
Available from eBay
Old 9th January 2007, 19:29
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road

Mike,

Whilst I've not checked, I think, as my column appears to be the same as a friends Concerto, that my column is from a Rover 200 (pre '95?). It fits fine, and I've not had to bodge my UJ as has been suggested you do.

I've not fitted the dash yet, so can't comment on the column fouling, but I have strengthen the column mounts, as there was a horrid amount of flex in mine as standard.

Cheers,

John
Old 9th January 2007, 21:54
Enthusiast

craig is on a distinguished road

Hi Mike, My column is mgzr 06 for power steering and fits fine and did not need any alteration to it either length or anything else!

As for the adjustable rake...no I can't use mine either as it catches so I have given up on that as position suits me anyway

Craig
Old 10th January 2007, 08:03
Enthusiast

Ex-Biker is on a distinguished road

I've used a P reg column from a R25. The splines are slightly different, but I also got a Metro UJ (the rack is Metro) and I believe (it was some time ago) this fitted better.

By altering the length of the column I have managed to get about 60% of the adjustment on the rake from the origninal R25, but don't think I'll ever use it.
Old 10th January 2007, 18:01

VVC_racing is on a distinguished road
Default Tim

hi,
I had the same problem. If you overtighten the uj it can split, i did this with my first one. In the end i used one from a rover 200, but welded it place. Then drilled through it and pinned it in place. might be a little overkill but i know its safe!

I found out later a metro one fits perfectly however!
Old 10th January 2007, 18:47
Enthusiast

SDMC001 is on a distinguished road

Mike

In the past I recall this issue, and I belive Dylan who was an early builder had the same concerns. I believe he did just overtighten the bolt, somewhat of an alien concept, but he drove over to europe in his with no problems, and now has sold the car on. Some people in the past as think reccomeded the UJ from the model without power steering.

Steve