Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 6th October 2019, 14:28

SwiftyDS is on a distinguished road

Mudflaps fitted to both front and rear arches. Pleased with those on the rear ....

The front ones need a bit of adjustment ... the sills on my kit had a step/cut out in the front arch which means the flaps are at an angle. I’ve already made a cut out towards the inner edge of the arch. You can’t really notice it given the angles etc but it does mean that on full lock at low speed they are rubbing on the inside of the tyre. Probably an MOT warning or worse so will have to trim them a bit on the inside edge.

Was good to get the car out in the sun and inspect the vinyl wrap and stripes. Overall looks ok and as I’ve said previously million times better than the Plasti Dip.

Overall really pleased with the result and just the interior to sort out now.

Old 6th October 2019, 14:43

molleur is on a distinguished road

looks much better with those flaps trimmed!
Old 6th October 2019, 14:49

Cheers - just spotted the one on the drivers side in the last picture here looks like it isn’t on level. It is (as you can see on the earlier pics) but the PVC seems to have a bit of memory still from when the flaps arrived in the post and were bowed.

Upshot is that they are angling towards the front of the car - nothing a good gravel stage won’t sort out :-)
Old 6th October 2019, 15:21

froggyman is on a distinguished road

Looking fantastic with all the decals and mudflaps! Oh and final piece in the jigsaw for me is the change of registration number.
Definitely looks the 'business' now!
Old 6th October 2019, 19:48

Thanks froggyman - I’m looking forward to MOTing it now and getting out on the road in it

Last edited by SwiftyDS; 6th October 2019 at 20:16..
Old 8th October 2019, 19:17

wozzy is on a distinguished road

Car looks great Mate
Old 9th October 2019, 10:09

Thanks Wozzy - worth the effort on the vinyl and wrap. As I said in Facebook PM, the ears are by far the hardest parts to wrap due to the compound curves.
Old 10th October 2019, 18:14

Managed to make a start on tidying the interior/doors up today after a couple of days off from the car.

I wanted to beef up the frame around the window of the door skin, which is supplied with a metal bar bonded in to the GRP skin. I wasn’t happy with where this attached to the MR2 door outer skin (the metal outer skin) so took the Perspex side windows out and strengthened this area on both driver and passenger side.

Whilst I had the windows out I also painted the upper visible part of the MR2 door skin that shows behind the perspex side windows matt black as I felt the gloss black of the donor car doors made this stand out.

I also painted the inside edge of the door mirror mounting plates I previously fabricated and glassed in.

Windows all back in (I added another rubber channel strip to provide a better join with the door mirror plinths), matt black paint work touched up (yes, it does seem possible to patch up PlastiDip!).

Next on the list for tomorrow is refitting the door cards and giving the interior a good clean, before fitting the RS200 door mats I had made up nearly 3 years ago now!
Old Yesterday, 19:04

I was a bit curtailed today by the weather, as I really wanted to get the car out of the garage and give the interior a good clean, before refitting the door cards.

So instead, I decided I would try to sort out the front wheel arch/inner wing area. Ever since I’ve seen the car from a distance I’ve been bothered by the view looking into the front wheel arch.

Having thought about it, it was too much white GRP in the inner arch area from the upper area of the sills. So out came the matte black paint, this time I decided it was too tricky to try and spray with black PlastiDip so decided I could sacrifice these areas in terms of using normal paint (e.g. paint that doesn’t come off!) so bought a small pot of rustoleum matte black universal paint that I’d heard lots of good things about.

Wow, this stuff is great. Coverage is excellent and it appears you can brush it on and get a really good finish ... no brush strokes visible.

So I decided to paint the inner arch area to cover the white GRP sill area and I’m pretty happy with the improvement here. Note in the picture here the bonnet isn’t locked down.

Armed with the Rustoleum paint and brush there was no holding me back, and with the rain beating down outside I set about the front bumper arch area and inner bumper top as well as the inside area of the door jam.

Hoping the rain eases off over the next few days and I can sort the interior out. Then it’s off to the MOT station...yippee!

Oh... I nearly forgot .... ever since I started my build I was inspired by Retro200’s (Mick) MRS200 build. I remember early on in my build he sent me a picture of his kit and the shut lines of the front door, sill/bonnet area and how it compared to the original car. So for Mick if he’s still following my thread here’s a similar picture ... I don’t think they are too far out compared to the originals :-)

And the original ....

Last edited by SwiftyDS; Yesterday at 19:13..
Old Yesterday, 20:22

wozzy is on a distinguished road

Shut lines look good mate
the black paint makes all the difference in the arches
Old Yesterday, 20:45

Thanks Wozzy