Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 30th October 2011, 18:52

Richard1234510 is on a distinguished road

The passenger headrest idea has merit I think, is this an option Gary ? if so might help me pursuade the missus to embrace the idea of spending a few grand and lonely nights while I'm in the garage (mind you I'm sure there's always some B****cks on the telly ! Gary, I've been in touch before but this forum might be an easier route for communication. Cheers, Richard P.S. This project is a cracking idea and well done for seeing it through, I'm sure it'll be a great success.
Old 30th October 2011, 20:27

Patton is on a distinguished road

My young ladies daughter pointed out to her " you know were he is when in the garage". Gary can do any fink solong as it's glass fibre...PAT
Old 31st October 2011, 10:07

davecymru is on a distinguished road

My wife is irked as i've now installed heating in the garage and also two hooks for my hammock for when i'm "pondering" what to do next. I will do the windows on the main house..... soon
Old 31st October 2011, 19:08

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charman.tech View Post
Charlie and I are loving the centre bar, would it work with a full screen and a second head rest fairing.

What really looks cool is the photo of the "C" / "D" type with the single wrap around screen with the passenger side plug in place. But then we would have to build a car each, now that's an idea!!!!!!!!

Please don't let me stop you building two ...!!!

Heres a pic of split cockpit , full screen on a D-type....looks pretty cool to me ..

As far as split cockpit full screen , two humps goes ....I think it would be ok....don't paint it black though ...with red bat logo's ....!!

The beauty of the concept , as with the original Sammio , is they are flexible ...only restricted by finances and time , not imagination ....replica's dont have this exciting edge as you have to conform to their factory options to be considered 'accurate' and fit in ...

I am thinking about doing a D-type / Cunningham style tail fin as an extra as well....not as harsh , a subtler version

I know its all a bit Jaguar-ish but the cars will look very different....

Last edited by lancelot link; 31st October 2011 at 19:26..
Old 31st October 2011, 19:12

We got some smoothing out done today and finished the glasswork on the bonnet.....

The mould needs to be put back on now , cut and remade to include these new features....all these mods will be done by the w/end ....hopefully !!

The next few pics show the cutline for the bonnet and how its beginning to shape up.....

Headlight detail etc is clearly shown as well.....The car is really starting to happen !!

looking back at the pics , its funny how short the bonnet looks when cocked - it is pretty long in reality....the car is 14' long and the cockpit is 2'' shorter than the Sammio Spyder !

Last edited by lancelot link; 31st October 2011 at 19:31..
Old 3rd November 2011, 17:05
Enthusiast

micky1mo is on a distinguished road

Paid Gary and Mike a visit today and fell in love!!!
Not with them but the sleak looking lady at the back of the workshop called a G-46!!
It's got the "x" factor for me!!
Liked the Spyder too so I ordered one of them as well!!
Got a Simitar but need a Herald can anybody help?
Regards
Mike
Old 3rd November 2011, 17:49

Sammio Builder is on a distinguished road

Hi Mike,

Seriously?

Well done! Welcome to the mad house.

Trevor.
http://www.sammiospyder.blogspot.com/
Old 3rd November 2011, 18:01

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by micky1mo View Post
Got a Simitar but need a Herald can anybody help?
Regards
Mike
This looks like it would be worth a look as a potential donor:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1208028338...84.m1438.l2649

Not sure where you are in the country, but the herald is in Fakenham, Norfolk, which is in mine and psychopops neck of the woods.

Good luck finding a suitable donor and welcome to the club.
Old 3rd November 2011, 18:23

Quote:
Paid Gary and Mike a visit today and fell in love!!!
Not with them but the sleak looking lady at the back of the workshop called a G-46!!
You sure about that ? .....you were looking at Mike a little odd .....!!

Seriously though ....it was good to meet you today and throw some ideas about...Another builder who 'gets it ' and can see the massive potential in these cars.....

I am really chuffed that we are getting deposits on a body package that we haven't quite finished yet....it's great that people can see where we are going .....

We have remoulded the front scuttle area of the car , so bodies with seperate flip fronts are ready to go now....we have secured 5 kits with deposits received and are expecting the first one to be ready in about 2-3 weeks from now....so nike55 , get ready , we are coming to get you !!

I am getting more interest in these initially than we did with the original Spyders , so hopefully a few will be turning up on these pages soon....

EXCITING TIMES !!

This Heralds not too far along the M4 from you .....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-HE...item4ab06004ed

Last edited by lancelot link; 3rd November 2011 at 19:01..
Old 3rd November 2011, 19:15

Nike55 is on a distinguished road

Well, I'm ready - but not sure you will be able to handle the workload once the world see's 'my' take on the G46...
Old 3rd November 2011, 19:32
Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Nike55;23868]Well, I'm ready - but not sure you will be able to handle the workload once the world see's 'my' take on the G46...[/QUOTE

That's whats so great about this car you look at it and your mind starts working out how your going to "make it fit" in your own way.

Each one should turn out as individual as the builder.

This car could be a real star!!!
Old 4th November 2011, 10:13

Charman.tech is on a distinguished road
Default One or two humps

[QUOTE=lancelot link;23773]Please don't let me stop you building two ...!!!

Heres a pic of split cockpit , full screen on a D-type....looks pretty cool to me ..

As far as split cockpit full screen , two humps goes ....I think it would be ok....don't paint it black though ...with red bat logo's ....!!

Yes, time for the men in "white coats" Charlie and I are decided, split cock pit single drivers hump full screen. The jag cockpit is exactly that a "spitfire cockpit" wings optional!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like to pop down and see you week after next will call you first

Should we start our own thread? ie build diary
Old 5th November 2011, 15:01

YOU ARE WELCOME TO CALL BY ANYTIME - You might be best advised to give us a little notice to just make sure we are about , we usually are ...the only appt. I have soon is the Orca Inspection...probably next week...

We have managed to get a bit more done on the car ....Mike concentrated on the rear end (his speciality !! ) and I stayed up front....

I have made a bolt on subframe , needs to be bolt on to keep us the right side of SVA , that enables me to hang the bonnet...some simple 'rabbit ear' brackets and 1'' box have made this job pretty straight forward....

SO THIS ....

NOW DOES THIS .....

THANKS TO THIS BRACKETRY......

Mike meanwhile started cutting a bootlid....we had initially thought about leaving the boot area up to the builders choice , but pretty much everyone who has enquired wants to use that dead space....we have cut a hatch that is big enough to get a spare wheel through. It works really well as a spare fits in really nice and with the front of the wheel sat where a natural bulkhead can go inside the body , the spare just pokes ot , leaving a little room behind for a small jack or wheelbrace etc.
There is still two obvious boot space sections where the original back seat was and these can be accessed in the cockpit through hatches in the rear bulkhead ....so basically , the rarely touched spare etc is tucked away in the back , adding a bit of ballast at the same time and anything you want more regular - maps , picnic , tent etc can be kept seperate up the front section of the rear....
The bootlid itself can be either hinged or fitted with locating pins , quarter turn latches , zeus fasteners , whatever !!

Obviously , if someone doesn't want the bootlid , it can be filled in and glassed over by us....

I have been toying with making some dummy Rudge style wheels recently as well ....well actually they have been going on for about 6 months !!

Rudge knock on steels were used on 1950's Mercedes cars , Gullwings etc as well as turning up on Porsche 356's over the years as well....genuine examples now change hands for thousands of pounds EACH as they are pretty desirable in those circles ....

The slotted rims are very similar to the early Porsche / VW rims , so I am starting with that and making some 'knock on ' style hubcaps ....The Beetle rims will be fitted on adaptors and then these caps will be bolted on to the wheel studs to hold in place ...dummy rivets around the edge and the centre ring eventually will help give the look as well as a bit of tube in the centre and a spinner ....they aren't replica's of a Rudge but they are '' in the same style as '' and could be an interesting option to fitting wires ....

Old 5th November 2011, 17:40

Roadster is on a distinguished road

A bootlid?
Garry now your just teasing me
Seriously though she looks great, part of me wishes i had waited for that rear but im well past that now but at least it will explain if i get caught looking dreamily at the rear end of someones G46
Old 5th November 2011, 17:43
Enthusiast

I agree "looking good".
Be nice to see the wheels painted and on the car!!
I ment to ask why is the car called the G-46?
Also If I'm No5 on the G-46 body what is the number of my Spyder body?
Regards
Mike
Old 5th November 2011, 17:46

Roadster is on a distinguished road

Garrys 46th design i guess
Old 5th November 2011, 18:40

Quote:
I ment to ask why is the car called the G-46?
Also If I'm No5 on the G-46 body what is the number of my Spyder body?
Regards
Mike
Mike ,
nothing very clever about the G46 name ..... The car was conceived and created within the last year and I have just had my 47th birthday !

The Sammio name comes from my son SAMUEL OWEN JANES being born around the same time as the project.....The initial name I had in place years ago was The Frugal Spyder , but we didn't run with that after Sam's arrival.......

I think , depending on final running order , that you will be 70 or 71

68 has just gone to Norwich and the dreaded 68.5 is going to Holland with a 2cv frame next week .....

Last edited by lancelot link; 5th November 2011 at 18:43..
Old 5th November 2011, 19:17

Charman.tech is on a distinguished road
Default We Agree

Agree with all the comments from "micky1mo" "Roadster" & "nike55" she (Orca) is developing into a real beauty!

Wheels have been taxing us, you may have the solution we were thinking wires (powder coated matt black) and then Dunlop replicas as per "D Type" until we saw the prices.

Digging through the old garage, after spending the day working on the new garage, found a beautiful steering wheel identical to the "D Type" photo you posted, that I have had for the last thirty years, used on old projects such as MGB GT and Hawk 289 but saved when they went.

I love finding old treasures we are collecting all the bits we need engine and gearbox from a TR7/8 we did then into the 289 now to relive in the G46.

One problem my wife, Charlie mum, has just cottoned on what we are up to, that old adage comes to mind "It easier to beg forgiveness than to ask for permission up front"
Old 21st November 2011, 19:47

GOT A BIT MORE DONE ON THE DEVELOPMENT FRONT....

We are building this example for a customer so , its a case of trying to juggle development and progress...

Patrice wanted side vents and a central bar - as do a few others ....we have been making these individually up to now but decided we needed to standardize a mould...our central bar moulding will fit both this and the original Sammio Spyder....

The vents Mike has started are nice ....he has ' bevelled ' the edges so they look like they are stamped into Ally or similar....the centres will be opened up slightly to make them look less heavy...

Mike has also been playing with the headlight lenses ...making the apertures and tags for mounting...still a bit to do , but shaping up nicely....

Tomorrow I am going to start making the plug to mould the half tonneau to cover the passenger seat ....

Patrice wants a single screen (we have already made a full width screen flange and door cap screen flanges to make a full 2 seater screen but until I have the screen itself back from the screen makers , I won't show that ...) so tomorrow , I will start the driver only screen setup as well....

Last edited by lancelot link; 21st November 2011 at 19:55..
Old 22nd November 2011, 07:33

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

I like the idea of the side vents and was wondering about something like this for mine :

I might try and pop down today if that is okay. The wife has moved from "It's a divorce" to "If you are doing it then I want it in blue" so I wouldn't mind another look and getting some measurements.