Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 12th June 2011, 19:24

mulberry is on a distinguished road
Default sammio spyder home build

In for penny In for a pound, As the saying goes.Well ive got the normal, house size garage and thought i try a sammio home build, wot a lovely kit car she is. A credit to GARY

Lucky for me i found a triumph herald ,just of the road still taxed but no MOT. So i took the plunge, stripping down i guess is the easy bit, and getting carried away on ebay ,buying stuff is easy, lol.

but aafter many hours in a tiny garage and lots of pain, blood and few tears, ive just rebuilt the chassis everything from all new bush kit to nice new , nuts and bolts easyer than using the old .

I just hope the next part of fitting the body is less pain full as i dont want to make a hash of a lovely kit and not do it any justice.

Is there any more home builders who might give me a few kind TIPS.

Last edited by mulberry; 12th June 2011 at 19:29..
Available from eBay
Old 13th June 2011, 11:26

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Whoo hoo, another one of us trying this in a 'std' garage

There's already a lot of info being gathered over in the other Sammio thread: http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...ead.php?t=2717 so have a good nosey (if you haven't already) as there are also links in there to a few of the external Blogs and photobucket accounts that other fellow builders have already created that may be of interest?

If you've already rebuilt your chassis, then there are very few tips that i can give you at the moment. Although one "small garage" tip that i can share is to wrap the ends of your outriggers with old sponges and gaffa tape until the body is finally on as i got fed up of taking chunks out of my knees as i moved around the chassis and this has saved me more than once
Old 14th June 2011, 11:59

Patton is on a distinguished road

Mulberry, hi I'm at the stage of body fitted next a visit to VOSA to get the name changed on the V5 "then off with the shin bashers" I've built mine in a single garage...Pat in Devon J28 M5
Old 14th June 2011, 21:04

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Hi chaps , any help needed , you know I'll try to help ....I've been lucky with my customer base so far - most of you 'get it' ..by that I mean , you all realise these aren't true kit cars in the ''open the box , bolt it together , pay a fortune , build a car with no personality '' sense of the word...we are building in the original , how it started way ...back to basics , traditionally , however you want to pidgeon hole it ....this means , of course , things will need fettling sometimes , little tweaks here and there , but basically , the cars end up similar but different !!
We all have our own ways of doing things - good and bad , and people will know little tricks , dodges , shortcuts etc to help as well as certain parts that work better than others , that kind of stuff - thats where this thread can be both interesting and helpful.....

Mulberry , yours is going to be a bit different to the others - so far ! Gonna tell ? !!
Old 16th June 2011, 17:12

Default keeping my sammio underwraps

well i hope the body is looking good gary, im sure it is your a master in your own class, and if the changes come out anything like im hoping for,it sure be a stunner. but im keeping it on the quiet side for now, untill i got the odd photo to place on here.
Old 17th June 2011, 14:03

thanks for the tips guy`s,,,,, have any of you tried to real seal the front brake claiper thingy ma jigs..?......wonderfull news my body is ready " gary ur a star" oh patton im j27 m5 so not to far away please tell me how you get on down at vosa...
Old 23rd June 2011, 11:57

collected body on tuesday weeeeeeeeee cant wait for the weekend to get my teeth into fitting her.
Old 8th July 2011, 06:34

thought id update this a little things moving on with my build, just b4 picking up my sammio body, i ripped out my engine/gearbox and took of the bulkhead,yep call me mad but i thought id have little more time,"hehe" im sure we all get that mad idea, anyways here`s a a few snap shots of my build so far,http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/...arysCar035.jpg front end b4 rebuild.http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/...arysCar052.jpg parlty finished, just be new front brake lines and disc were fitted.
Old 8th July 2011, 12:43

garyh is on a distinguished road
Smile Very nice, mulberry

Thats more the finish i like. Brake lines copper or braided?
Trevor and Daves cars both coming on well too.
Gary H.
Old 8th July 2011, 12:57

here`s another picture, front offside, i used new copper lines with flexi hose up to caliper.http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/...arysCar054.jpg
Old 8th July 2011, 13:17

Default Nice close ups, they will really help.

Especially when you start doing the body, sorry to use all of you as Guinea pigs before i start.
Old 8th July 2011, 14:06

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulberry View Post
here`s another picture, front offside, i used new copper lines with flexi hose up to caliper.http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/...arysCar054.jpg
You can make things "too" shiny you know!

Just kidding! I'm just jealous as i'm not touching the front end on mine until after it's on the road and I've had some fun in it this summer
Old 8th July 2011, 14:18

Default next day service

how many times do we all wait in hope for the parcel to arrive "when you pay for next day" on wednesday paid for fiberglass supplies, the dreaded next day service, and guess wot, ITS friday and still no show, there goes fitting the body out the window this weekend... so i have to make some more parts SHINNY " DAVE"
Old 8th July 2011, 16:30

Patton is on a distinguished road

Mulberry, wot do you need I've got mat resin and hardener in Cullompton. PAT
Old 9th July 2011, 09:50

thanks for the offer pat, but ive got few little odd jobs to be getting on with so it wont be a total wasted weekend, with out it." better be here on monday or bad language will be used down the telephone, i think"
Old 10th July 2011, 10:51

cbjroms is on a distinguished road

Mulberry,

That chassis looks really nice - did you get it blasted back to bare metal?

I have had my chassis blasted - major rot to repair around diff - and would be interested to know what (self etch?) primer and colour you used.

Thanks

Chris
Old 11th July 2011, 09:08

took 2 weeks of hard rubbing and burning out one angle grinder, to get bare metal finish, some smaller parts wich were taken of were shot blasted back, i used a etch/red oxide/ the rust-olem combi colour top coat, look on trade "paint`s direct.co.uk" thay have a wide range. if i done it again get a hardner to add with the paint, mines still little soft.. i sprayed all mine then done the welding, might be little odd but it protects the rot under the patch`s too that way, then just touch up around were u welded, then couple more coats "JOB`S A GOODEN"
Old 17th August 2011, 21:15

Default Inspection day

Another sunny day in poole and another triumph herald bites the dust and becomes a sammio spyder.It was a great drive down and a nice coffee at gary`s workshop,before the inspection...with big thanks to Gary for his support.But the drive back was from hell with the tie down straps breaking on the M5 motorway, and a sammio nearly breaking away and overtaking us. note to all " Don`t buy cheap £4.00 rachet straps " but got back to Devon finally horray !!!! (oh i found a pound in my car gary)
Old 17th August 2011, 21:30

picture of my kind dad who drove all the way down to get my sammio inspected with mell, and look that GARYS got in another photo next to the inspector looking amazed at another beautiful build....
Old 18th August 2011, 11:54

Looking good, do you deffinately have to leave outriggers sticking out! Seems like a waste of time as they know you're going to cut them off. Gary, could you ask?