Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > General Build Chat

General Build Chat Area for general build chat, questions, tips, tricks and progress

Old 8th July 2020, 09:54

SwiftyDS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post
That looks good. As an aircraft designer I can appreciate this type of structure. Surprisingly there are very few kit or production road cars built this way. I can only think of the Robin Hood lightweight 7 they did a few years ago and the Berkeley cars had aluminium riveted to a fibreglass shell.
You could use this type of construction for you reverse trike. Somebody in the states fitted a motor bike engine and two front wheels to a Bede BD-5 kit aircraft to form a single seater car. The BD-5 was a popular kit aircraft constructed from aluminium sheets.
Good luck and keep us posted.
I built one of the early RH Engineering folded stainless steel monocoque kits about 25 years ago - based on a triumph Dolomite for suspension and engine. Have to say it wasn’t the most rigid of things - if i remember correctly the front and rear suspension mounts were welded in at the factory and after I sold it on I heard the welds had cracked!

The previous owner has had the Alleweder for 10 years plus so hopefully should be ok. Certainly looks a strong shell.
Available from eBay
Old 8th July 2020, 10:06

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftyDS View Post
I built one of the early RH Engineering folded stainless steel monocoque kits about 25 years ago - based on a triumph Dolomite for suspension and engine. Have to say it wasn’t the most rigid of things - if i remember correctly the front and rear suspension mounts were welded in at the factory and after I sold it on I heard the welds had cracked!

The previous owner has had the Alleweder for 10 years plus so hopefully should be ok. Certainly looks a strong shell.
The early monocoque Robin Hoods were great little cars for the money. I built several of the Sierra based kits with the stainless chassis. There were a couple of well known modifications that were quick and easy fixes that transformed the road holding and strengthened the body.