Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 18th October 2012, 14:56

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

Is that Micha at the wheel?
Old 19th October 2012, 08:12

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford1360 View Post
Is that Micha at the wheel?
No, Micha's just out of shot. He's the guy with the clip-board and the too-tight undercrackers, shaking his head and tutting loudly.

Looking forward to the confusion when he tries to google translate undercrackers into German...
Old 27th October 2012, 15:44

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Before anyone stumbles across it:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2L-Sammio-...-/300804826400

Yes this is mine!

I'd not even been considering selling it until today as I've had an offer at Exeter that is just too good to resist, but it means that the Spyder has to go to finance it! (more details if it all comes off)
Old 27th October 2012, 17:38

seanick is on a distinguished road

DAVID! How could you!!
Old 27th October 2012, 18:33

garyh is on a distinguished road

Will you still be on this forum? If you got an offer at Exeter, why is it on eBay
Old 27th October 2012, 18:43

Sorry my fingers and brain were still numb after the trek back from Exeter

Basically at Exeter I was offered 1st dibs at another car and it is my "ultimate" car so there was no way I could say no to at least trying to afford it! but due to the timing and everything that's been going on with my father passing away, the only way I can afford it is to sell the Spyder. Needs must, and all that.

Either way I'll still be around on here so you're not getting rid of me that easily
Old 27th October 2012, 18:55

garyh is on a distinguished road

I know you've mentioned Lamborghini? Is that what you have your eye on?
Old 28th October 2012, 05:08

Patton is on a distinguished road

It's nothing like a Lambo, more a "sterling" choice. It was about the only thing there being a bit lite on exhibitors, plenty in the car park even a G46! Lovely weather but abit nippy a Dave, Pat
Old 28th October 2012, 07:41

GazDavies is on a distinguished road

Goodluck with the sale Dave, I know how much you have wanted one of these cars

Old 28th October 2012, 08:21

Dave, I know you've always said the Countach was your dream car, but don't you think you'll regret selling your spyder?

After all, the Countach replica is just a machine that you'll sign a cheque for and drive away in, much as you would a Ford Fiesta. Surely, your spyder is so much more than that. If it's like mine it contains your blood, sweat, tears and toenails. You'll never step out of the Countach, look back at it and be able to say with pride "I built that."

Having said that, I wish you good luck with your sale if that's really what you want...
Old 28th October 2012, 10:21

seanick is on a distinguished road

Towed has a point, also, when people see a Sammio they say wow, whats that? When most see a Lambo, most think oh, theres a kit car replica thing, even if its a real one. When I took my Burlington to Goodwood there were two Maclaren Road cars and some eighties Ferraris, no one gave them a second glance!
Old 29th October 2012, 12:07

Cheers for the comments guys, and yes i am now trying to juggle pennies to buy a Countach! My wife picked up on this on Sat when i had all my Countach books out (yes, i'm a bit OCD!) checking on dimensions and then measuring in the garage !

I appreciate all that you are saying about it being "my" car, and after a year of Spyder driving you must realise that i really do realise that. Especially after more than one occasion where i have parked next to something really posh (a DB9 in one memorable case!) only to have all the people look at my ikkle Sammio

But then again i think that you lot will respect more than just about any other group that i've never been doing this for other people, i'm doing it for me!
And while i have loved every minute of building and owning the Spyder, i _REALLY_ want a Countach kit. i mean _REALLY_! and i'm very picky about which one and exactly what is on it and i've been to see over half a dozen over the past few years and none have been right, and this one is exactly the _right_ one so i've got to at least give it a go!

That's not to say that it will be my only car as time progresses as i've already spotted the next kit i want to build and park by the side of the Countach. It's called the A48 or something like that

But this is all just waffle unless i can sell the Spyder and I'm aware that i may not, despite currently having 62 people watching it on fleabay already!

And if i can't sell it..... well... i don't need 2 kidneys do i?
Old 29th October 2012, 12:12

So, Dave, are you going to build a Countach or buy a turnkey?

And yes, you could always sell one of your livers...
Old 29th October 2012, 18:13

mikmiglia is on a distinguished road

Dave , if you like the car you know yourself if you like it, i find people on here are very rude with their opions.
Old 29th October 2012, 18:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by micha View Post
really...a countach????

people will always think its a "kitcar"...a "replica"...whereas with a sammio the stunning and "historic" factor was much bigger i guess.

e.g.: lets review the countach pictures above:

immediately on first view it reveal its origin:a mountney steering wheel and a bling-bling gearknob plus the cheapest mirros from hallfords!!! (amongst certain other things like the typical oldschool "british" instruments )
I could not agree more Micha, its not even as though you could change a steering wheel, gearknob and mirrors is it The only people that know its not genuine from the dials are people that know quite a lot about cars in which case im quite sure that they could pick out a Sammio as not a genuine 50s race car.

I understand Daves desision completely, I love Lambos, always have and if the only way Dave can drive the car that he had pictures of on his wall as a kid (maybe that was just me?) is to get the kit car and not the real thing then I say go for it!
Old 29th October 2012, 20:48

HouseMartin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazDavies View Post
I understand Daves desision completely, I love Lambos, always have and if the only way Dave can drive the car that he had pictures of on his wall as a kid (maybe that was just me?) is to get the kit car and not the real thing then I say go for it!
Now, as a kid, I had pictures of the porsche 928 alongside the lambo on my wall. But hey you can pick the real thing up for less than a completed sammio. I borrowed one for a few days and it lived up to all my expectations.
You cannot beat realising your dreams.

However the computer controlled stuff stops me owning one, it is the fact that it is too complex to fix, all those warning lights and failing switches and sensors. Living with a kit lambo is going to more enjoyable than the real thing. enjoy

HM
Old 29th October 2012, 21:01

mikmiglia is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by micha View Post
if you park such a car in front of a pub...some guys might think "wow....what a car...wow thats a Lambo??"....after a while they start to imagine "this guy...a Lambo??...hmmm....how he can afford it...and one of those guys has an idea "maybe thats a replica".. "a kitcar".... resulting in a sympathetic smile.

the more experienced clientele will immediately reveal it as a kitcar.

with a sammio this wont happen (at least not immediately)
Well micha im sure that without that bit of usless imformation we would be none the wiser.
Old 29th October 2012, 21:11

I like the way a Sammio has gone from being the work of the devil when he was trying to buy one cheap and now he owns one they can do no wrong and have become uber desireable.

The truth is that a person wants what they want and nobody else should be trying to judge and if it makes you feel any better, I dont see any overspray on the Lambo at all!
Old 29th October 2012, 23:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazDavies View Post
I like the way a Sammio has gone from being the work of the devil when he ...I dont see any overspray on the Lambo at all!
This is because it is not being sprayed at all but is giving away its plastic pretend Lamborghini status with its polished pink gel-coat finish.
Old 30th October 2012, 06:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
This is because it is not being sprayed at all but is giving away its plastic pretend Lamborghini status with its polished pink gel-coat finish.
It doesn't have a gel coat finish, it's painted. Maybe you would like it more if its plastic pretend Lamborghini status was actually a plastic pretend Lancia status?