Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 12th January 2012, 09:50

BigMrTong is on a distinguished road
Default Is it only me that prefers the German Style Bonnet ?

Everyone seems to have the newer Lancia type version ? Still looking for my donor and clearing an old project, but I want a German ! LOL What lights are used in that version ?
Available from eBay
Old 12th January 2012, 11:49

garyh is on a distinguished road
Default Don' Get The Hump...

I think the german bonnet would look better without the headrest, more like the 550
Old 12th January 2012, 12:07

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyh View Post
I think the german bonnet would look better without the headrest, more like the 550
Agreed. It's Italian all the way for me I'm afraid but if you prefer the German bonnet then I feel it would look better without the head-fairing.

Also, as you can only get a four cylinder engine under the German bonnet that will limit your choice of donor.

The German bonnet uses pre '67 Beetle headlights btw, which were also used on the Split-screen type 2 and the Porsche 356, so there's plenty of original and reproduction units available.

Anyway, best of luck finding a suitable donor.
Old 12th January 2012, 12:38

Thanks. I have an engine a 1.3 from a Spitfire with Shorrok Supercharger, so looking to fit that. I'm holding out on the car doner to see what happens with the spitfire body, as I have a couple of those already.

I like the AC bonnet on that a little more. The german bonnet looks like a new and nice car, but when I show the Italian to people they so OJH its like a Cobra kit.
Old 12th January 2012, 12:56

davecymru is on a distinguished road

TBH the more i look at the new Spitfire body mock-up the more I'm starting to like that latest incarnation of the body style and the modified bonnet!

With the doors and the side screens as well, it just looks a bit more..... evolved

I think i know what my next project may be if/when I'm finally done with this one, although i think that may a while yet the way my luck is going
Old 12th January 2012, 12:57

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Yep, I thought Cobra when I saw the first pics of the Italian bonnet. In the metal (fibreglass?) however, it looks totally different to the Cobra due to the completely different dimensions of the car. It's much prettier and less overtly macho than a Cobra imho.

To me, the 427 Cobra shouts 'hey everyone, my owner has a very small winkie!' While Gary's Spyder quietly whispers 'my owner has taste.'

But each to their own...
Old 12th January 2012, 13:27

[QUOTE=Mister Towed;25957] While Gary's Spyder quietly whispers 'my owner has taste.'

QUOTE]

Now that I deff agree on, and its why I like the whole car and concept. It ticks a lot of boxes for me.

I plan to race mine, as a replacement for my GT6, so will be very intresting.
Old 12th January 2012, 13:29

Yes I really like the front end AC ace look. Funnly the main thing I dont like is the full wrap screen. It loks like some of the 70's boat screen cars. Not 50's / 60's .. but I can change that no doubt which again is why I like the Sammio concept. Love the doors that have been added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecymru View Post
TBH the more i look at the new Spitfire body mock-up the more I'm starting to like that latest incarnation of the body style and the modified bonnet!

With the doors and the side screens as well, it just looks a bit more..... evolved

I think i know what my next project may be if/when I'm finally done with this one, although i think that may a while yet the way my luck is going
Old 12th January 2012, 13:30

... and if I read corectally the new bonnet will also work on the Herald Sammio, so I assume I can have my German one on the Spitfire !?
Old 12th January 2012, 17:46

Patton is on a distinguished road

Hi, yep both bonnetts fit both models I've ordered a german bonnet for the Cordite and speaking to Gary saying I was going to remodel it to take th 7" head lights uncowled but she is going to be a variation on a theme anyway but Gary was pondering a 3rd bonnet option, I'm sure there's more to come as he loves the development bits but as the 550's gone it'll smaller scale and on exsisting models bonnets and doors, anyway welcome to the dark side, Pat and Skippy, mmm thinks! as the cordite will be shorter she'll be called Skip............
Old 12th January 2012, 18:38

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

The German bonnet was born from my absolute desire to create a 550 style car ....I thought that was the right thing to do at the time , the engine restrictions and fact that people who like 550's want a 550 , kind of steered me away..

.rather than modify that front to accept the 6 cyl. we decided to go all out and create the Lancia style front....a very good move on my part - it catapulted the car into a whole different place.....the car started to resemble the Boys Own Annual cars that we all grew up wanting.

Now we are looking at Spitfire based examples with taller carbs etc. and a 3rd bonnet will join the ranks ....the Cordite bonnet will be popular too I suspect ....if feedback on here is anything to go by....I love it , it solves a problem and doesn't move too far away from the previous bonnet to lose the Sammio-ness...

ALL THREE BONNETS HAVE THEIR PLACE AND THEY ARE ALL INTERCHANGEABLE.....

I have a soft spot for my original bonnet because it has brought me to where we are now with the car , equally the Lancia bonnet is dear to me as it got me here quicker !! Lets see where the Cordite example goes !

No reason why you can't have two different front ends to use on the same car !!!!!!