Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 22nd October 2006, 18:50
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel hose

Hi all,

I'm after a quick bit of advice: where have people run their car's fuel lines? I'm wanting to plumb mine in, but I'm not sure of the best routing, and without the bodywork, I'm not sure where is out of bounds.

Any advice, and pictures (especially!) would be very handy. Incidentally I'm using 8mm i.d reinforced rubber fuel hose, not the 8mm o.d (?) yellow stuff marlin sell.

Cheers,

John.
Available from eBay
Old 23rd October 2006, 08:20
Enthusiast

SDMC001 is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel pipe

Hi

I passed my fuel pipes, and servo pipe via a flexible conduit down the centre tunnel, the only thing I really concerned myself over was to keep it as far away as possible from the hot water pipes. I chose this route as I am looking at the doored version.

Steve
Old 23rd October 2006, 09:05
Enthusiast

marlinturbo is on a distinguished road

Hi John,

I routed my fuel pipes down the driver's side, as I don't have doors.

My bodywork will be coming off soon for a few mods, so I can take pictures then.

I used the aluminium pipes and clips from my donor car. This gave a stiff set of fuel lines running the length of the car.

Use braided fuel hose at the front mate, and a fuel filter.

Cheers,

John
Old 23rd October 2006, 09:45
Enthusiast

Steve / John,

Cheers for the replies – my plan was to run the fuel lines through the front inner wing, and down the driver’s side of the car – I’m not going for doors as I don’t want the weight / complexity …….. and being a young pup jumping in isn’t a problem. I don’t think I’ve enough room left to get the hoses (2 x 12mm o.d) down the centre tunnel – it’s pretty tight down there!

John – I’ve got a load (10m or so…) of low pressure loss (hopefully) fuel injection specific 10 bar 8mm i.d fuel hose, which I’ll use throughout. I’ve a high flow FSE fuel filter, which is going near to the tank. I’m not bothering with overbraid lines, as in cars where I’ve used it previously it looks a bit grubby after a while (admittedly it wasn’t coated braid). Are you still using the stock Rover fuel pump? One thing that I’ve wondered is whether the stock pump can reliably meet the demands of a 200bhp engine running at full tilt. Also have you done anything to the fuel system to mitigate the chances of fuel surge?

What I’m wondering, is where on the side panel I can run the fuel lines – could I use p-clips for example, with rivnuts into the upper-most horizontal box tube, or will this foul on the bodywork, when I come to fit it?

Cheers,

John.
Old 23rd October 2006, 11:28
Enthusiast

BIG_Fella is on a distinguished road

I have run my fuel line down the centre tunnel were the cable clutch line would have been 10mm ID i think
Dont forget you are going to need a fuel pressure reg as there is no return pipe on the K20a engine fuel rail mine is mounted at the front but marlins is at the back as it was an after thought as mark did not realise there was not a return on the fuel rail
Old 23rd October 2006, 12:09
Enthusiast

Jerry - I have a fuel pressure reg, and mine is mounted at the back. Mounting it at the front is probably a bad idea, as the pressure at the rear of the car will be lower than that at front after the fuel's gone down ~3m of pipe, thus you want the reg as close to the rail as possible. Mine is about 20cm from the rail inlet - mounted on the rear box section.

http://www.johndry.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=3412
Old 23rd October 2006, 14:01
Enthusiast

BIG_Fella is on a distinguished road

There is a small pressure drop over the lenght of pipe but this will be minimal
the main issue is if there are any restrictions in the line as this will increase pressure
Therefore i am going to fit an inline gauge at the fuel rail end and set the pressure that way
Old 23rd October 2006, 16:38
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG_Fella
There is a small pressure drop over the lenght of pipe but this will be minimal
the main issue is if there are any restrictions in the line as this will increase pressure
Therefore i am going to fit an inline gauge at the fuel rail end and set the pressure that way
Interesting. I was reckoning the drop might be sufficient to upset the fuelling if I did it that way, as although I'd be able to get the pressure right when static, the pressure would drop with increased demand, which I wouldn't be able to adjust for, hence putting the regulator close to the rail.

(Goes away and has a think........)

I've just done a very sketchy fag packet calc, and I'm now thinking it might be easier to put the reg in the front - only a 200 Pa/m drop at full tilt.... but I can't be jazzed moving mine now.
Old 23rd October 2006, 16:47
Enthusiast

MikeN is on a distinguished road
Question

Gent's on a fuel related subject can anyone tell me where I can get the Fuel Filler tube from. My donor was a Rover 25 and the tube is moulded plastic affair, not the brass coloured steel that Marlin use. I have spoken with my local scrap yard and they say that all R200 Bubble and R25's used the plastic moulded tube.
Can anyone help?

Thanks Mike

PS I am going for door version so will go for the centre tunnel route (pardon the pun) for the fuel lines . Anyone know if this is OK for SVA?
Old 23rd October 2006, 17:23
Enthusiast

Mike - you need to find an older Rover 200 - the squarer type that's near identical to a Honda Concerto. One of these lovely looking cars:

http://www.blinman.com/rover_200.jpg