Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Vintage and Classic Roadster Kit Car Builds

Vintage and Classic Roadster Kit Car Builds For Vintage and Classic era kit cars. Post your build reports, problems and progress here

Old 25th July 2016, 20:12
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Just as important as getting air in is getting it out (as Marlin Sportster owners have found)

Robin
Old 25th July 2016, 22:55

Old Jock is on a distinguished road

Upside down early S Type in fact. Well spotted!
Old 25th July 2016, 22:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinClan View Post
Just as important as getting air in is getting it out (as Marlin Sportster owners have found)

Robin
I know - I have plans for that too
Old 25th July 2016, 23:52

Car photographer is on a distinguished road

I like it - if only it was bigger
I wonder if a Morgan grille might work
Old 26th July 2016, 08:37

Paul L is on a distinguished road

OldJock - I like the thick bars and I am sure it would look at home when the bodywork was adjusted to match.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 27th July 2016, 12:47

Just had a mess on photoshop using that jaguar grille - could look something like this - [IMG]1grille 3 by paul ward, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 27th July 2016, 12:48

I quite like it, but I'm not sure how hard it would be to change the nose to fit this?
Old 27th July 2016, 12:58

maybe some sort of 'rivet on' nose cone could be made - [IMG]1grille 3b by paul ward, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 27th July 2016, 13:28

Hi Paul, I was thinking more of an aluminium surround which would bolt on to the back of the grille using the existing bolts for the slats and then bond it to the fibreglass of the front of the bodyshell. Perhaps also including some extra mesh like this.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alfa 2 (2).jpg (97.1 KB, 205 views)
Old 27th July 2016, 13:51

ahh ok
Old 27th July 2016, 14:03

Thanks for doing the photoshop job, it really is much appreciated and also something I can't do for myself.
Cheers,
Paul
Old 27th July 2016, 16:13

No worries
Old 21st August 2016, 11:35

SlopeSoarer is on a distinguished road

Hi Paul

I will be following your thread with interest. I'm looking for a project and I think the Firano T48 might fit the bill. Like you I've looked at building a 7 type kit but somehow none of them quite do it for me after having owned a Caterham. I fancy something which doesn't scream boy racer but has something with character about it. I've been looking at Morganesque 3 wheelers (JZR, Triking, etc) and Porsche Speedsters.

What I like about the Firano T48 is that it is Spitfire based and although loosely base on a Ferrari it could be one of a number from that era... oh and they look great!

Keep up the good work and I'll keep checking in.

Simon
Old 21st August 2016, 15:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlopeSoarer View Post
Hi Paul

I will be following your thread with interest. I'm looking for a project and I think the Firano T48 might fit the bill. Like you I've looked at building a 7 type kit but somehow none of them quite do it for me after having owned a Caterham. I fancy something which doesn't scream boy racer but has something with character about it. I've been looking at Morganesque 3 wheelers (JZR, Triking, etc) and Porsche Speedsters.

What I like about the Firano T48 is that it is Spitfire based and although loosely base on a Ferrari it could be one of a number from that era... oh and they look great!

Keep up the good work and I'll keep checking in.

Simon
Hi Simon,
Thanks for the encouraging words. I also had considered the 3 wheelers but, on balance, just thought that they didn't quite offer the opportunity for a little "spirited driving" should the mood or conditions require it. As you say, it could easily be an Alfa or any of the other Italian tuning houses from the post-war years and that's why I love it as I was born in 1950 so am also from the same era! At the moment, progress is slow as I have had a few medical problems, but I am on the mend and hope to get some welding done soon - despite what my wife says We are also going away on holiday in a couple of weeks so more unwanted delay. AARGH! I can honestly say that I think the T48 kit is of a good quality and that Mick (of Fiorano) is a nice guy to deal with and well worth a phone call to have a chat with about the kit build etc. I paid £10 for an e copy of the build manual to have a look at the kit construction plans etc before I made a decision and you get this back if you go ahead and buy the kit from him. The kit comes in small sub-packs which are all well wrapped and itemised on the outside of the packs to help identification and make the assembly order more obvious and easy and all in all I'm very pleased with it. You should also have a chat with Car Photographer as he (another Paul by the way) recently"finished" the build of his T48. See Fiorano T48 Build thread.
Good luck with whichever kit you choose and don't forget to start a build thread - if nothing else, it will help you maintain a bit of momentum.
Cheers,
Paul (A)
Old 28th August 2016, 10:30

Barber is on a distinguished road

This is a great thread. I haven't even bought my z3 donor for a tribute build yet, but have started thinking about what next. Haha.
Old 30th October 2016, 10:36

Hows yours coming along?

I'm still having problems with my wheelarch supports, and now it looks like I may try and fit adjustable dampers onto the suspension to try and 'soften' the ride a little - if it helps it might be something you might want to fit before your body is put on - I'm also considering changing the rear leaf spring for a softer one too.
Old 30th October 2016, 18:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car photographer View Post
Hows yours coming along?

I'm still having problems with my wheelarch supports, and now it looks like I may try and fit adjustable dampers onto the suspension to try and 'soften' the ride a little - if it helps it might be something you might want to fit before your body is put on - I'm also considering changing the rear leaf spring for a softer one too.
Hi Paul, Sadly, my build has ground to a standstill, mainly because I am having to spend more time looking after my Mum. It's a shame, but my Mum has to come first and hopefully, I have lots of time left to finish it.
Funny you should mention the shock absorbers and rear spring as they are things I have been looking at myself so I'll be interested in what you go with. Have you spoken with Mick at Fiorano about the wheelarch support problems you have been having? Maybe he could suggest a way forward.
Old 30th October 2016, 18:09

Sorry to hear that - just stick an armchair in the garage, then you can keep an eye on her while you're working

I've ordered some shocks from jigsaw racing so hopefully they will be ok,
Going to take the car in next week to get the supports remade from solid bar hopefully, so I'll let you know how it goes
Old 9th November 2016, 18:58

At last, some progress has been made! Of sorts I took my chassis and the parts to modify it to a local welder / blacksmith to have all of the welding work done by him as it had become obvious to me that I simply would not have the time to do it myself. I should get it back on Friday morning ready to apply some rust preventing paint. It should be a good job, as he made the new gates to Glamis Castle, the former family home of the Queen Mum - and they are of a very high quality. So, I'll post a photo in due course.
Old 9th November 2016, 19:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Jock View Post
At last, some progress has been made! Of sorts I took my chassis and the parts to modify it to a local welder / blacksmith to have all of the welding work done by him as it had become obvious to me that I simply would not have the time to do it myself. I should get it back on Friday morning ready to apply some rust preventing paint. It should be a good job, as he made the new gates to Glamis Castle, the former family home of the Queen Mum - and they are of a very high quality. So, I'll post a photo in due course.

cool!!