Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30th September 2005, 11:51

Strolls is on a distinguished road
Default Questions on buying a donor.

Sorry if these questions have all been asked before, but I went to my local breakers yesterday & got confused, so any pointers would be appreciated.

I'm pretty clear that I want a new-shape 200/25 with a 1600 engine and nothing fancy like ABS brakes to make the build more complicated. I read Iain Ayre's Haynes Kit Car Manual recently and agree with his sentiments that it's preferable to hear the engine running before stripping the donor, so I'll be looking for a car that's nearly a runner.

I know that for some kits it's desirable to get a car of a certain age in order to get age-related plates & not require a cat. How relevant is this to the 5exi build? Am I right in thinking that any "bubble" 200 will be too late for this exemption and that the best way to deal with this is to simply fit a cat for SVA & MOT? I wonder if this would be effective in meeting emissions requirements for a engine performance-tuned with a cat-free exhaust? Is it worth obtaining an engine from an earlier, old-shape 200 and the other parts needed from a newer one?

Sorry if these are dumb questions - I'm really not aware of the period over which the 200 was built or when the catalytic-convertor requirement came in (1992?)

The breaker I spoke to yesterday won't supply the logbook for any car he sells, and I'm not really sure the implications of this. Does it matter at all? I don't feel the need for an age-related plate for "cosmetic reasons" and wouldn't be bothered having a "Q".

The breaker I spoke to yesterday also stated that he's not allowed to sell complete most of the cars he gets - he's only allowed to sell them as parts, presumably because the insurance company has written them off. Has anyone else dealt with anything like that? I'd much prefer a complete car to be sure that I don't later find myself missing something which'll then take me days to find, and I really want to hear it running before I buy it, to be sure I don't buy a duff engine.

Any other tips on buying a donor? I thought I might try & find a big list of breakers & fax the lot of them with a standard enquiry, or use the forms at Breakerlink.com or find-a-part.com to achieve the same thing. Advertising locally is also an obvious move, but probably not the best likely to get results. I thought it might be possible to bid on write-offs directly from insurance companies - has anyone tried this?

Cheers for any advice,

Stroller.
Available from eBay