Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Vintage and Classic Roadster Kit Car Builds

Vintage and Classic Roadster Kit Car Builds For Vintage and Classic era kit cars. Post your build reports, problems and progress here

Old 1st February 2017, 17:24
Enthusiast

DaveP is on a distinguished road

Good luck finding another spit chassis.

Love that pic of the Phaetons. They remind me of when I hankered after a Kitcar in my youth.

Dave
Old 2nd February 2017, 09:04

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Talking Facebook to the rescue. Again!

I've been tracking Spitfires on Ebay thinking that I'd be spending a small fortune buying a complete car, then having all the time and trouble of breaking it and selling the unwanted bits.

This morning I thought I'd have a look in the 'Small Chassis Triumphs' FB group (without much hope) just in case there was one advertised. What popped up was a comprehensively refurbished chassis with a V5 but minus wheels and engine that the owner had decided to break as he hadn't been able to sell as a unit.

A contact message from me elicited a prompt 'phone reply and after verifying exactly what was for sale we agreed £700 including delivery tomorrow!

Serendipity indeed!

Regards, Mick

Old 2nd February 2017, 12:14

redratbike is on a distinguished road

Nice find....I just need to find a vitesse or herald chassis like that now ha ha
Old 2nd February 2017, 15:07

molleur is on a distinguished road

Excellent find, and lucky too!
Old 3rd February 2017, 07:53

Cool Happy Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP
Love that pic of the Phaetons. They remind me of when I hankered after a Kitcar in my youth.
Le Mans '90: Before the off, Camping Bleu and on the Mulsanne Straight.

Regards, Mick

Last edited by Mick O'Malley; 16th February 2017 at 05:31..
Old 3rd February 2017, 09:06

Talking And again

This is the final incarnation of the red Phaeton in the photo' above, Rover 3.5 V8 with an SD1 five speed gearbox.

I was only gently short-shifting (the owner told me I wasn't to take it on the track, just display it - he was on holiday), but it still easily attained 125mph on Farm Straight at the 1992 Castle Combe Kit Car Day. I thought I'd got away with it but the orange dot on the windscreen from the previous year prompted the photographer and a set of contact prints was on his mat when he returned. He forgave me (sort of) and let me order this

The Lotus colours were inspired by my own new scheme above, Marlboro Mclaren was a bit old hat by then.

Regards, Mick
Old 3rd February 2017, 14:53

Thumbs up Chassis Delivery

The vendor arrived bang on time at 1000 with the chassis on his trailer. We transferred two wheels from the other chassis and wheeled it to its new home. It comes complete with the factory chassis plates, is tax free and is eligible for black and silver number plates. He registered it in my name and address on line on his hand held device on the spot. Cool!

He was on his way up to Coventry to pick up an almost complete Herald based Moss Midge for £200! Not a bad day's business for either of us!

Regards, Mick

Last edited by Mick O'Malley; 3rd February 2017 at 15:09..
Old 3rd February 2017, 15:04

molleur is on a distinguished road

Love it when a plan comes together! Congrats..
Old 3rd February 2017, 22:30
Enthusiast

DaveP is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the Phaeton pics by the way

Dave
Old 4th February 2017, 10:25

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Mick - Great news on finding another Spitfire chassis.
Old 6th February 2017, 07:59

Talking Buy buy buy!

Thanks for the kind words guys.

I've bought a stack of bits and pieces for the dash over the weekend. Once they've all arrived I'll post a picture.

I'm going to knock on my neighbour's door in a minute as he's borrowed my Machine Mart engine crane and I want to do the transplant today.

Straining at the leash? Yes!

Regards, Mick
Old 6th February 2017, 14:27

Unhappy Brrrrrr!

This morning I put on two boiler suits, woolly hat, fingerless gloves and went out to shift the two chassis around into position for the engine swap over. With only two wheels on each this was a bit of a hernia special .

My neighbour was yet to dig out my crane so I set-to and began removing the starter motor, gearbox rubbers and bell-housing bolts as I always like to ensure a clutch is free whilst it's nice and accessible. Nothing put up much resistance, especially the gearbox cross-member which wasn't attached at all, apart from a couple of loose bolts dropped through. I jacked the engine up a little with a small plank under the sump, pulled off the gearbox and stowed it in my shed.

I was delighted to see a pristine pressure plate which, when removed, revealed an equally pristine driven plate which wasn't stuck to the flywheel - excellent news. These were also stowed safely away in the dry just as it began to rain, so the covers had to go on again.

I'd just got cleaned up and sat down when my neighbour tapped on the window to announce the crane's return, so it was back outside to lash it to the soil pipe with an old motor bike cover over it as it wouldn't fit past the chassis.

Next fine day................

Regards, Mick

Old 7th February 2017, 08:28

Default French Monaco, Citroen Based

This popped up on the Moss Owners' Facebook page. Beautiful but expensive!

Regards, Mick
Old 7th February 2017, 12:36

Talking Engine In

Double boiler suits again. Out at 0900. After lifting the engine just clear of the chassis which came with the body, I had to manoeuvre the new chassis on its two wheels backwards to enable the crane plus engine to fit in front of it. More hernia special!

Once this was achieved it was easy peasy to drop the engine in, remembering to have the exhaust manifold and down pipe loosely between the chassis rail and sump as it can't be inserted later - too big!

As the original chassis will now be stripped before disposal I tranferred the wheels from it to the new one. Much easier to move now, even with no steering column . All done before noon.

Next job is to swap the swing spring with leaves removed onto the red chassis, which has a standard six bolt spring.

Regards, Mick
Old 7th February 2017, 12:52

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

Achtung! Ich sehe, dass Sie den Motor von einem Chassis zum anderen getauscht haben. Ich hoffe, dass Sie die Chassis Police informiert haben.
Old 7th February 2017, 13:22

retro200 is on a distinguished road

i guess thats german for i have just changed my engine and not told the cops !!
Old 7th February 2017, 14:54

Unhappy Rain Stopped Play

After a very late breakfast I dived back out and set to removing the complete swing spring rear suspension. The diff. drive flanges are bigger, the drive shafts are longer and the final drive ratio is lower, so it makes sense to swap the lot.

I disconnected the top shock absorber eyes, the front tie bar mountings, and the two nuts and the long bolt that locate the diff, having first supported it loosely with the crane. It wouldn't quite come out as the inner drive shaft flanges fouled on the handbrake cable guides. I separated the flanges and it was then possible to rotate the whole thing and manoeuvre it clear.

There was just time to cover everything over before the heavens opened so I think that'll have to be it for today.

Regards, Mick
Old 8th February 2017, 22:32

deggsy is on a distinguished road

Mice one Mick I always licked the Monaco very similar to a super two which I once owned, A ford side valve E93a based special unfortunately I cant find a photo of it at the moment!
Old 9th February 2017, 08:00

Lightbulb Super 2s and Rain Stopped Play Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by deggsy
Nice one Mick, I always liked the Monaco, very similar to a Super Two which I once owned, A Ford side valve E93a based special, unfortunately I can't find a photo of it at the moment!
My future brother-in-law had one in the 60s when he was courting my sister, it prompted me to buy a Lotus VI, also 1172 side-valve powered. I don't have a picture of that Super Two to hand, although I know there's a monochrome Kodak Brownie 127 snap taken by my late mother somewhere.

However, I do have these taken at The Specials Day (not a punk re-union) which is held on the second Sunday of August each year at The Cotswold Wildlife Park in Burford, Oxfordshire. The green one turned up at The Kit Car Show a few years ago on Spitfire underpinnings and on 15" MGF 'Minilites' which, coincidentally, I bought yesterday for the Monaco!

I have quite a bit of Les Montgomery (the father of the Super Two) memorabilia which I've collected over the years. His shop, Super Accessories in Catford, was on my doorstep and I bought an Aquaplane aluminium flywheel and valve chest cover from him for the Lotus VI. In a further coincidence, last week, when selecting a gear knob for the Monaco so that the gear stick didn't hole the cover, I chose the ally one sporting the arms of the city of Monza that I also bought there in the 60s for 7/6. Synchronicity!

The Super Two's claim to fame was that it retailed at £99, although the floor was an extra! The body was a 'Hamblin Cadet' from the firm of that name in Dorset.

I took the rear drive and suspension off the 'new' chassis yesterday but the rain started again at a natural break in proceedings so this is where I've got to.

Regards, Mick

Last edited by Mick O'Malley; 9th February 2017 at 09:37..
Old 9th February 2017, 09:14

Exclamation Moss Midge

The Moss Midge bought by the vendor of my red chassis is on Ebay.

Link.

Now sold!

Regards, Mick

Last edited by Mick O'Malley; 10th February 2017 at 08:55..