Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 24th November 2010, 15:28

NigelB is on a distinguished road
Default What's around the corner................

Well, the front coil overs are now sorted and the answer was simple in the end.

But I though it was simple at the beginning. Just grab a spring compressor, compress the coils. Slide in the shock and the job's a good'un.

But it took ten days of frustration, of gingerly tightening a number of different types of compressor at arm's length while hardly breathing and of internet searching for different approaches / solutions.

So in all the experience out there, what's around the corner, just waiting to bite me in the backside. What have you come across that, on the face of it seems like a simple task, but in the end has involved you in many hours of heartache and frustration. I fear the list could be long but as they say, "forewarned is for armed"
Available from eBay
Old 24th November 2010, 16:23
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

There are loads of little tricky things - plus some big ones.

Some that spring to mind...

Steering column - I had to phaf arround with spacers both lengthwise and the mounting bracket behind the dash. Also the hole that Marlin pre-drilled in the bulkhead was in the wrong place.

Flexi brake pipes - a real b*gger to get the front ones positioned so they don't foul on anything.

Fuel system - can be pretty complex with lots of pipes and joins especially if you go for a swirl pot. (You need it - no baffles in the tank...)

I am sure there are a several more that the other builders can add ;-)

Robin
Old 24th November 2010, 17:16
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Bodywork is a big job, wiring is a big job, brake pipes take a while to run and secure properly, afm/intake side arrangement took a lot of thinking, boot floor was a bit of a fiddle, and many more little things.

I spent most of my time sitting next the car mulling over how to do something
Old 24th November 2010, 17:45
Enthusiast

timbo is on a distinguished road

I found the biggest job was the wiring (!) but also fitting the exhaust, moving the alternator to the other side of the engine, making the boot, steering column, and modifying the brake linkage in the pedal box all took longer than expected! Also all the IVA tweaks.
But take comfort from the fact that whatever problem you come across, someone on here will probably have already found a neat solution
Tim
Old 9th December 2010, 09:30

I've found the next 'gotcha'

The steering rack, specially made for Marlin, has been specially made too small!! With the track rod ends held on by two threads I've got about 30 degrees of toe in on each wheel.

But every cloud etc etc. The self centering should be just fine...................
Old 9th December 2010, 12:37
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelB View Post
I've found the next 'gotcha'

The steering rack, specially made for Marlin, has been specially made too small!! With the track rod ends held on by two threads I've got about 30 degrees of toe in on each wheel.

But every cloud etc etc. The self centering should be just fine...................
When I picked mine up some - err - 6 years ago they had actually forgotton to modify it. It's a standard Ford rack that they cut'n'shut to make it wider. You can see where they add a piece into the rack arms. It could be that they just forgot to do yours....

Robin
Old 9th December 2010, 20:51
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

This is a special feature from Marlin Kit cars for privileged customers.

It heightens the sense of achievement when you finally complete the car and you overcome all the little hurdles

Not wishing to spoil your future surprises but my Propshaft was too big and my hood was made for a short wheel base vesrion that they hadn't made for years!

I presumably didn't deserve the 'short steering rack special'.

But don't worry, after your drive home from your IVA pass you'll forget all the little issues
Old 10th December 2010, 09:13

It's good to know that there's no signs of favourtism and they like to spread their special around to everyone.

I always reckon that if it was all easy, it would never be so much fun and to share these little gotcha with every one just adds to the enjoyment...............!!
Old 10th December 2010, 11:20
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelB View Post
It's good to know that there's no signs of favourtism and they like to spread their special around to everyone.

I always reckon that if it was all easy, it would never be so much fun and to share these little gotcha with every one just adds to the enjoyment...............!!
Nigel

I wish I could be so sanguin about Marlin's quality.

I built a Roadster years ago, and felt there was a lot left to be desired regarding finish quality, so when I decided a Cabrio would be a more comfortable car to tour in I asked That Woman at Marlin if the Cabrio was now a fully sorted kit? Terry was quite indignant that I could suggest it would not be....so I thought perhaps in 20 years the kit had progressed.
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........there are still so many little faults which simply should not be there which take up time to either rectify, or improve if you want a decent build quality, and do they care?
I'm certain my chassis was covered with a coat of bright rust when when it had a coat of paint applied: and like a lot of Marlins it started to flake off before the car is built.
Having had my little rant, the design philosophy of the Marlin remains as good today as it always did.
Mike
Old 12th December 2010, 08:45
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

What can I say, a number of us have finished with our sanity more or less intact I suspect in a number of years I'm going to have to do a nut and bolt rebuild and get the chassis propely cleaned of rust and powder coated. It is already bubbling in places. I'd have thought galvanising would be a sensible option. The welding could be a lot better, most of it looks like it was done by a beginner - it would just need some finishing to grind down the more ugly welds before powder coat. But then I suppose there are only so many hours of time available to build a chassis and finish it while still making a profit. With the sort of finish quality I would have liked I expect that it would have cost 3 times as much!
Old 12th December 2010, 11:11

denniswpearce is on a distinguished road

All this is very interestiong reading from Mike and Patrick. It would appear to me being totally new to the kit car world that most of you guys are mini manufacturers and these cars are not kit cars. My interpretation of a kit car is a bundle of bits you buy and just bolt together, not all the fabrication that is required to actually make it work. The kit supplier has not done his job properly in my opinion. The various web sites of you the builders is fascinating reading to me. Its just like all the discovery programmes on this subject I now avidly watch.
Steering racks, prop shafts, rusting chassis, all these things should surely be sorted before you get them. Abysmal service I reckon.
When you guys get a chassis, are they prepared properly ie. stripped down in an acid bath and then plated to avoid potential rust or is it luck that they don,t rust.

Don,t know myself, I am new to this so I might be way off the mark.
Regards
Dennis
Old 13th December 2010, 07:20

Chris Cussen is on a distinguished road

I have to say that the although my cabrio build took a long time I didn't have any real issues with the parts supplied by Marlin. My chassis was powder coated and still looks good after 7 years.

Marlin when I bought my kit offered the choice of a bare chassis of for and extra (I think it was £300) having it powder coated. I took the sensible option and had it powder coated.

There were problems that needed addressing during the way, panel alignment and so on, but all the items I got were fit for purpose. Time had to be spent on making things just right, but I wasn't under any illusions that there would not be a lot of work involved and lots of skills to be learnt or employed.

If I had wanted someting to put togther over a weekend I would have forked out a huge wad of money and bought a Caterham, where everything comes in a box and you end up with a car that is identical to any other Caterham out of a box.

My car is totally individual (be that a good or bad thing) but what ever it is a very large part of it is my creation.
Old 13th December 2010, 20:54
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cussen View Post

There were problems that needed addressing during the way, panel alignment and so on, but all the items I got were fit for purpose. Time had to be spent on making things just right, but I wasn't under any illusions that there would not be a lot of work involved and lots of skills to be learnt or employed.

If I had wanted someting to put togther over a weekend I would have forked out a huge wad of money and bought a Caterham, where everything comes in a box and you end up with a car that is identical to any other Caterham out of a box.

My car is totally individual (be that a good or bad thing) but what ever it is a very large part of it is my creation.
Chris
I agree with most of what you say...........but Terry does not tell it this way.

There are plenty of things you have to do your self which is fine, and makes for an invidual car: it's the bits that are done badly or wrong, or are in correctly supplied, and that you have to work out for yourself and that Marlin never say sorry, never admit to a fault, and never put their hands up when there are serious safety issues arising from the odd design failure - witness the Sportster wishbone issue. That was appalling: a design fault which could have been fatal, and still they would not put their hands up.
My steering column had the wrong part supplied: Marlin then said they had changed the part, and that I needed to buy a new UJ to go with it. After being pushed Terry agreed to supply the new UJ to go with the new part as part of the original kit. They 'modified' my anti roll bar by cutting it in to two bits and returned them saying I didn't need an ARB: yet the Marlin Cabrio BMW demonstrator had a complete one fitted?
I have have spent hours and hours making the windscreen/door/pillar/bonnet line up, by cutting and re-welding the screen stainless surround and aluminium door frames, and I haven't even started on the running board/wings and boot lid, which I know are far more difficult to get lined up properly:all this should not be necessary in a kit that has been around 20 years.
And, how many of us has had to wait not weeks, but months for a promissed part...........?

As you say Chris....." there are problems that need addressing along the way"

I very much agree that it is a testament to the skill and tenacity of the builder that the finished cars are of such a high standard.
Old 14th December 2010, 21:37
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

It's all about price and volume.

I'm sure that someone could make a much higher quality 'Marlin' but sales would be even smaller and become non-existant.
I think Marlin realise this and try to make them affordable rather than perfect.
They did eventually issue a recall on all the wishbones and wing stays.
The key is to not let it get you down and spoil your hobby. I went through the 'bitter and twisted' phase but got over it and have no regrets of buying or building my Sporster.

When I say 'I built it myself' it is much more statisfying than 'I bolted together a kit of parts'.
Yes, it is a lot more work, but also a lot more fun.

Having said all that in support of Marlin, i do agree that a little attention to detail (which costs nothing) would prevent shipping Steering Racks, propshafts and Hoods that are the wrong size. That's just being careless!