Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 4th May 2005, 10:17
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road
Default Top front ball joints.

Hi everyone.

I've fitted the front suspension over the weekend and as expected the wheels look way out of alignment. To adjust the angle of the wheel do you have to undo the nut on the top balljoint where it attaches to the upright and wind in the ball joint to adjust? Sorry if this is a silly question.

Cheers

John
Available from eBay
Old 4th May 2005, 15:09
Enthusiast

tomboysexi is on a distinguished road
Default As Mr Punch would say.............................

Thats the way to do it.......................

Even more fun at the rear.

Regards to all builders Trev
Old 15th May 2005, 17:45
Enthusiast

I've been playing today with the front suspension. Connected up the steering arms and tested the steering. All looked fine. So I thought I would try on the front wheels. The weight of the wheels made the whole suspension drop. Then testing the steering again the hub was bashing the lower part of the spring when turning. . But is this suppose to happen?? Does this correct itself once the cars lowered onto it's wheels and the suspension setup move back up??? Or am I mssing something?? I've checked the upright and that's all straight.
Old 16th May 2005, 10:18
Enthusiast

Just had a quick thought. The problem is not because I have over lubed the steel inner bush is it? Or that the steel bit of the bush is not pressed in enough?
Old 16th May 2005, 14:52
Enthusiast

dylanp is on a distinguished road

Do you fancy taking some photos so we can see what's going on? (difficult to really picture what's happening there)

It sounds like you don't really have a problem - once your car is on its own feet the suspension will 'go up' (car's weigh will force it up) and you shouldn't find anything banging against anything...

But let us see some photos if you are still unsure...

Cheers,
Dylan
Old 16th May 2005, 15:12
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanp
It sounds like you don't really have a problem - once your car is on its own feet the suspension will 'go up' (car's weigh will force it up) and you shouldn't find anything banging against anything...
Cheers Dylan. I guessed that this might be the case. But wondered if everybody else got the bashing when the car was "up" off the ground with the wheels on.

It's the the usual doubt in the head I'm I doing something wrong. I'll get some photo's up tonight if that's ok.
Old 16th May 2005, 18:10
Enthusiast

Here are some pictures of the offending suspension.

Cheers Dylan.
Old 16th May 2005, 19:06
Enthusiast

tony-g is on a distinguished road

hi john

I think you should find that when you adjust the top ball joint to set the camber angle it will miss the spring. It did with mine. I do remember I had to fine adjust the steering bracket on the hub so It missed the spring on full travel.

As for the bottom wishbone hitting the chasis (I think that is what you mean) that could be a bit more of a concern. I do not remember that problem with mine, but I will re-check.

At my last SVA (old boring robin hood kit car) they lifted the car of the ground (wheels off) to check that the wishbones did not bottom out on the chasis or that the springs go loose and turned the steering thru its full range and checked for any obstruction or fouling of brake lines

all the best tony
Old 16th May 2005, 19:50
Enthusiast

Hi Tony.

The bottom wishbone does not touch the chassis. The problem is when turning on full lock, the hub spindle from the donor bashes the lower part of the spring which will happen if the SVA inspector raises the car. I checked the angle of the upright with a spirit level and made it so that the top part of the upright was towards the car a little (hopefully getting somewhere near the 1/2 degree negative camber at a guess). But looking at the angles of the wishbones and the rack to steering lever angle how does this compare? Do you have any pictures I could peek at?

The springs did not go loose just the shocks extended downwards with the wishbones as i fitted the wheels.

The steering lever is all ok and don't touch anything.
Old 16th May 2005, 20:25
Enthusiast

dylanp is on a distinguished road

John,

Can't see anything wrong there.. its definitely out of position now but once the wheels are on the whole suspension will be far higher than now and it should clear it nicely..

(not sure whether SVA will cause you problems - but my car passed and its got the same suspension setup as yours!)

Not sure if you have these pics - as supplied by Marlin.. Hope this helps?

http://www.purplematrix.co.uk/5exi/pics/

dylan
Old 16th May 2005, 22:56
Enthusiast

hi john

I know what you mean the chances of being on full lock with your wheel off the ground are pretty remote in fact you are likely heading toward big doo doo's. one solution for SVA is you peel back the steering rack gaiters and put a jubilee clip on the rack on each end to restrict full travel off the rack so it will not touch the springs. take them off after the SVA.

all the best
tony
Old 16th May 2005, 23:04
Enthusiast

forgot to say
the bottom wishbone and the rack arm to ball joint should be parallel to avoid steering problems and bump steer. but go for the best for sva and change it afterwards

tony
Old 17th May 2005, 05:52
Enthusiast

Cheers guys for all your help. It's was just that niggle in my head saying something is wrong here when there is nothing wrong!! Thanks for all your help. I would still be interested to know if when anybodies car is off the ground with the wheels on whether the hubs touch on full lock. But I'm happy that the cars safe and hopefully I've done it all ok.