Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 2nd April 2008, 20:09
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Core size on my radiator (Bog standard series 1 E40) is 16" x 15" x 1.5" I think it has two sets of tubes (cores) running top to bottom.

Robin
Old 3rd April 2008, 14:19
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Rob

When you say your core size is..... are these the overall dimensions, as I reckon these dimensions are the absolute max size I can fit in the space available, which means the actual core tubes will be , I guess 90-100mm less in one direction allowing 45-50mm for the header and footer tanks?

Mike
Old 3rd April 2008, 16:05
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Mike

That was the size of the core including the fins but without the tanks top and bottom. I may have been a bit optimistic on the thickness - it is difficult to get to once it is shoved up in the nosecone - 1.25" possibly more like it.

I raised my rad as far as I could (top hose touches the inside of the nosecone) so that the front crossmember does not obscure the core.

BTW I also have an oil cooler which I hope will help keep the temperature under control although the obvious place to mount this was the front crossmember so it obscures the rad a bit.

Robin
Old 3rd April 2008, 18:26
Enthusiast

Rob

The sportster obviously has a much bigger nose cone than the Cabrio your core dimensions are the same as my overall available dims. Looks like I will need to go to a three core minimum, but being mindful of the depth increasing.

Has anyone bought a Marlin rad? - if so what size is it, and how many cores does it have?
Mike
Old 8th April 2008, 20:41
Enthusiast

AndyDane is on a distinguished road

I've got the 2.5l M52 engine - can't remember where the rad came from but I haven't got an expansion tank on it yet...

Anyone with a similar setup got a photo of theirs and where it came from? Vindicator built mine and left that for me to do cos they coudln't find one small enough...

andy
Old 15th April 2008, 07:54
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Anyone who has the cross flow rad got any part numbers on there? I'm trying to track down where it comes from. I've had suggestions that it may be from Rover (land rover series 2 has been suggested) or Ford

I figure someone might have made an off the shelf full ali rad if its for a popular model.
Old 15th April 2008, 12:29
Enthusiast

Patrick

I have just spoken to a local radiator manufacurer who is prepared to make me a bespoke raditor to my design - the Cabrio has a smaller nose cone than the Sportster, so I am worried about cooling. he will make any size, any core and add elbow input/outputs, plus fitting for sensor, plus elbow for rad cap etc. No promises on price, but about £150. - similar to Marlin, but bespoke to my exact meeds, and high capacity too. he also advised a good two core can be better than a three core - its all about tube size and fins apparently.

If you interested call Richard at Boston Radiators Rel 01775 722824.
I plan to go to Stoneleigh, so could deliver if you want to go down this route.
Let me know?
Regards
Mike
Old 15th April 2008, 17:58
Enthusiast

I'll have a think about it thanks Mike. I'll let you know. It may have to wait though as a bolt in my daily drivers tyres cost me my rad budget today - doh!
Old 16th April 2008, 19:08
Enthusiast

Mike I'm going to live with it as is for now, thanks for the offer though

Situation is the temp comes up and keep going up until the fan kicks in when your stopped. The fan stop the temp going further but the rad is not big enough for the temp to come back down again to normal when sat in traffic.

So it will be OK for now, I'll see what it does when the outside temp goes up.
Old 24th April 2008, 20:25
Enthusiast

Thought this was interesting, was suggest by someone on the MOC forum to use a Morgan Plus 8 rad (they've got a standard one fitted to theirs)

Saw this while googling, very expensive but its 75mm thick!!!

Big capacity radiator

Keeping the Plus 8's engine running cool when driven hard, particularly on the circuit, is important for reliability and peak power. The competition proven aluminium big capacity radiator has a core depth increased from 42mm to 75mm to ensure more effective cooling. Fitted with the latest high efficiency factory fan and header tank, the Mulberry radiator is a wise investment as you boost the engine's power.

Aluminium big capacity radiator and header tank

£464.13 inc vat

Factory fan kit

http://www.redspy.co.uk/libramotive/...ra.jsp?lnk=502

EDIT: more here: http://www.mulfab.co.uk/html/_aluminium_radiators.html

Last edited by Patrick; 24th April 2008 at 20:28.. Reason: new link
Old 24th April 2008, 21:24
Enthusiast

Patrick

Have you looked at the spec of your fan?
The Pacet site is quite interesting- I've looked at several other fan sites and the fans only move half the volume of air that a Pacet moves under load (against a radiator). I also spoke to their technical bod, and he advised getting the strongest motor possible - judged by power consumption.
As a result I am now going to order a x flow radiator as this gives me a square core as opposed to a vertical radiator with a wide thin core. This will then allow me to run a 14" fan with the uprated motor. I have gone for a 3 core raditor, which will be very similar to the Marlin x flow.The standard 2.5 E36 BMW has a 2 core, but the core size is bigger than I can fit in my nose cone by about 10% so I 've gone for a 3 core so I hope I should not be marginal at all. Plus a 14" fan with a stronger motor, should not be a problem.
Well that's the theory - when (?) I get mine on the road I'll let you know the reality!!
Mike

PS - How do you get to be able to send PMs?
Old 24th April 2008, 21:32
Enthusiast

I'm just wasting time on the internet for the sake of it at the moment looking at things (I do like doing that )

I bought an uprated curved blade fan with a higher CFM that the one Marlin sell (which is now sat on a shelf somewhere) its a 13". I'll have look at the specs

I will eventually get a rad custom made for it (maybe sooner if I have problems as the weather warms up)

Not sure about PM's should just work
Old 24th April 2008, 21:48
Enthusiast

Patrick

Since I appear to be barred from sending a PM - do you still have the Compact gear linkage where c=280mm?
If so do you want to sell it?
Mike
Old 24th April 2008, 22:04
Enthusiast

Ahh I got your PM, I just had noticed it had arrived. I think we still have. I'll ask Richard as its his Will let you know tomorrow.
Old 25th April 2008, 21:05
Enthusiast

Quote:
Re: Radiator Help.
Posted by MJD (Aberdeen Scotland) on 25th Apr 08, 07:52 MOC Member: Yes
Thanks Danny, I've spoken to Mark and he tells me it is a custom made radiator never fitted to any other make/model of car. I've decided to have the existing one refurbished as having an aluminium one custom made will cost a fortune!

Thanks to all for the advice.

Mark
I guess that answers that question
Old 2nd May 2008, 19:33
Enthusiast

Some more info via the MOC forum:

Quote:
Re: Radiator Help.
Posted by Mike (Lincs) on 1st May 08, 10:57 MOC Member: Yes
Marlin's radiator does use pattern part Landrover tanks. The core is reduced in height, but any local radiator manufacurer can make these up easily.
I have just had one made up with elbows in and out, plus expansion pipe, plus fan sensor fitting, which will make pipe work and fan fitting much easier/less costly. I'll post pictures on my Flickr site over the weekend.

Note about aluminium rads.
If you puncture one of these with a stone, they are not repairable, whereas a copper one can usually be solder at minimal cost
Mike
Old 12th May 2008, 17:58
Enthusiast

I've just ebayed one of these: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...:X:RTQ:GB:1123

£211 for 19x22" and 2 1/4" core thickness ali rad. Will stick down about 8cm but that's higher than the steering rack and much higher than the sump.

Now I just need to have another chat with Tom see if he can weld the inlet and outlets in for me

Will be fun fitting it in
Old 12th May 2008, 20:53
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I've just ebayed one of these: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...:X:RTQ:GB:1123

£211 for 19x22" and 2 1/4" core thickness ali rad. Will stick down about 8cm but that's higher than the steering rack and much higher than the sump.

Now I just need to have another chat with Tom see if he can weld the inlet and outlets in for me

Will be fun fitting it in
You'll be needing a bigger engine to keep it warm
Old 12th May 2008, 21:05
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
You'll be needing a bigger engine to keep it warm
better than it is now, I can't drive up too steep a hill without the temp going up to near 90!

I think those rad are design for american customs with 8ltr V8's, its the smallest one they do
Old 14th May 2008, 19:31
Enthusiast

Quote:
Subtle
So slight as to be difficult to detect or describe; elusive: a subtle smile.

Radiator upgrade - stock face lift 325i rad compared to the new ali one.

It is substantially thicker than the stock rad.

The M10 rad in the car now it slightly smaller than the 325i rad.

Northern - made in the USA and bought off eBay in the UK from these guys http://stores.ebay.co.uk/USA-Speed-and-Restoration !

Comes with all the bits you need to customise the radiator anyway you need it.