Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 28th January 2008, 08:31
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road
Default My loud pedal works!

Spent Sunday hooking up the throttle - It works, and even makes the right noise (in my head!) I'll get some pics after work, but it looks pretty good to me. Just needs a bit of lubrication and a stop for the pedal. I think I'll nick Peter's big bolt approach.

I also (hopefully) cured the small oil leak I had - the bottom of the filter housing was weeping. This is apparently a common issue - so much so that BMW redesigned the plug that goes in there.

It's just an O ring an a ali plug held in with a wire circlip. The old one's O ring had been there so long that it was no longer round in section. If you decide to change yours, watch out for the back pressure! You don't loose a lot of oil taking it out, but the fine mist of 10w 40 at pressure doesn't taste very nice!

Last edited by GreatOldOne; 28th January 2008 at 21:13.. Reason: Can I spell Peddle? No, not really.
Available from eBay
Old 28th January 2008, 09:16
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

I remember sitting in the car making engine noises in my head after attaching the throttle - not long and you'll hear proper noises
Old 28th January 2008, 20:35
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

From the thread title, I'd thought you had got your engine running but I guess a few more weeks of the brmm brmm noises.
It won't be long before the real noise........
Have you decided on the exhaust? Sde pipes or underslung?
cheers
Peter
Old 28th January 2008, 20:57
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

The plug is just held in with the cir-clip, and the o-ring sits behind it. When I took the old one out, the old o-ring wasn't very squishy any more... and it was square in section, rather than round. Obviously it'd never been changed from when the donor was new!

The throttle cable came as a kit with all sorts of fittings for different situations. I used some threaded ends for the sheath which pass through the bulkhead and attaches to the engine.

The mountings on top of the scuttle have been riveted in so they won't shift. The cable can be adjusted using the barrel on top of the throttle body

The other end of the cable has a barrel soldered onto it. This was passed through bit that came with the kit - a shackle type part. I squeezed the ends together, enlarged the slot on the pedal and then drilled a hole through for a clevis pin that also came with the kit.

You can't see a lot from that - I'll have to take some better pics later when I take it out the pedal box to give it a lick of pain a dab of grease on the pin.

I've also got some other bits in last week - A heater box from a mini

I've also got a water vale to control the heat, a slider control for the dash & the cable to go between them

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux
Have you decided on the exhaust? Sde pipes or underslung?
I'm saving up for some side pipes - I like the look of them, and it seems to fit the style of the car (30's sports cars tended to have them straight out the side anyway)

If it's loud, I'll just have to put up with it. I just wish they weren't so damn expensive...

Few more weeks? Hmmm - We'll see. It's in the lap of the West Country Gods at the moment.
Old 29th January 2008, 07:24
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOldOne View Post
I've also got some other bits in last week - A heater box from a mini
Hi Jason

Suggest you strip the heater box and check the matrix. I bought two (heaters) - they both had a leaking matrix even though one of them was from a relatively new Mini. In the end I bought a new matrix from ebay. I took the opportunity to repaint the heater box as well so now it looks like new.

Best

Robin
Old 29th January 2008, 08:32
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

re: the exhaust, even a none side pipe stainless exhaust is mucho expensive if you want good quality stuff - I compromised on my mufflers and went for something cheaper or it would have been silly expensive.

Side pipes certainly look the part , I still regret the problems I had getting a manifold made with side pipes for mine.