Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 21st January 2008, 09:29
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road
Default Plumbing parts and Radiators

Does anybody know how durable this sort of solution would be?

http://www.msportster.co.uk/data/greatoldone-009.jpg

That's from Marlin's 2006 show car - 32mm piping (As identified by Peter). But is it copper, or plastic waste pipe? I can't seem to google up any 32mm copper, so I guess it's plastic...

I know you can get high temp plastic waste pipe - but is up to the rigours of an engine bay? I still need to work out a solution to get the water from the stat down to the lower rad pipe, and the flexi pipe I got from CBS isn't that flexible.
Available from eBay
Old 21st January 2008, 11:17
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

I'll check tonight, but i think I ended up using 35mm copper Yorkshire elbow fittings and copper pipe. I bought them off ebay and may even have a length of copper pipe left over if your interested.
cheers
Peter
Old 21st January 2008, 16:47
Enthusiast

Well, after a fruitless trawl of the plumbers around here (Yes we do 35mm pipe Sir. In 3 meter lengths. How many would you like, Sir...), yes, I'm interested. How much pipe do you have left, Pete?
Old 21st January 2008, 17:48
Enthusiast

RobDorey is on a distinguished road

Have a look at Demon Tweeks.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/produc...25&tlgrp=MS004

They have alloy tubes of various sizes that might fit the bill.
Old 21st January 2008, 21:23
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOldOne View Post
Well, after a fruitless trawl of the plumbers around here (Yes we do 35mm pipe Sir. In 3 meter lengths. How many would you like, Sir...), yes, I'm interested. How much pipe do you have left, Pete?
I have one piece left about 250mm long. (I bought two pieces but only needed one bit)
Send me a pm with your details and i'll pop it in the post.

regards

Peter
Old 21st January 2008, 21:56
Enthusiast

Thanks Pete - I've sent you pm
Old 4th February 2008, 20:18
Enthusiast

So - thanks to Pete's red cross parcel and some more pipe and fittings from ebay, the radiator is now finally complete and plumbed in:

I used a 45deg copper elbow to match the angle of the outlet on the bottom of the rad and a 90deg copper to get the coolant flowing up to the stat. After assembly they where given a coat of engine enamel. The connection from the thermostat to the top of the copper piping is a standard BMW hose that has had the end chopped off:

At the other end, there's a CBS 180 degree rubber hose to bring the water back on itself:

To keep it from flapping around, the pipe is attached to the bottom of the radiator - there are two oblong eyes on the radiator to which the pipe is cable tied to (Ah - cable ties. Is there no end to their uses? ). I've used a couple of lengths of rubber mat to keep the radiator from rubbing on the pipe.

At the other end of the engine, the heater feed pipes have been installed. They make their way through the bulkhead via a couple 3/4" double ended spigots.

Here they are on the other side:

I also managed to strip, repaint and test the mini heater box. No leaks, so that was good! I followed Pete's example for the front bracketry, and made the rear ones with a couple of rivnuts apiece

I also knocked up a small bracket to hold the heater valve.

The valve will be held on with a couple of cable ties (Again!) once the pipes have been installed:

So - a weekend of piping and brackets!

Oh - and POR15 & Engine enamel...

They'll all go back on once they're dry. Here's hoping that the next update I'll at least have a date for the big bits from Marlin!
Old 4th February 2008, 21:22
Enthusiast

That's looking really cool! (ugh)
Glad the spare pipe came in handy!

cheers

Peter
Old 12th February 2008, 21:49
Enthusiast

Managed to get a bit more done over the past couple of days. I've finished up plumbing in the heater

I've also mounted the AFM. I decided to support it on a single upright, attached to the engine mount. Here's my first attempt:

The thickness of the material was pretty thin and that made the upright susceptible to twisting. So I used it as a pattern for a beefier L section beam (twice the thickness!)

You can see it in these test fit photos:

The platform for the AFM is made out of sheet steel that has been folded and shaped to fit. It all fits together using nuts and bolts, as a) I haven't got a welder, and more importantly, b) I can't weld .

The front part of the bracket wraps round the AFM and stops the folded steel support from flexing up and down.

Once it was all bolted together I mounted it

Making that (whilst not the most precise, aerospace-like piece of engineering in the world) was immensly satisfying.

I need to get a 'top hat' adapter - I'll be running a cone style filter.. probably get something like a K&N or Pipercross cone. Suggestions?
Old 13th February 2008, 07:30
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I need to get a 'top hat' adapter - I'll be running a cone style filter.. probably get something like a K&N or Pipercross cone. Suggestions?
The one I used was pretty good. It is a cone shape but the base is at an angle to the cone so by turning it you can adjust it's position. My AFM is in roughly the same position as yours so I guess it should fit. I bought it directly from the manufacturer with an adapter for the BMW AFM. You can see some pics of it on my web site. Can't remember the name of it right now but I will look it up tonight. (It wasn't K&N)

Robin
Old 13th February 2008, 07:35
Enthusiast

Thanks Robin
Old 13th February 2008, 12:06
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinClan View Post
Can't remember the name of it right now but I will look it up tonight.
Jetex
Old 13th February 2008, 17:17
Enthusiast

Can you remember what diameter it was? Only the Jetex site doesn't specifically carry an e30 325 filter... Unless it's the same as the e34 525 one - which thinking about it should be as it's the same engine.
Old 14th February 2008, 19:22
Enthusiast

The filter itself has a part number on it - JR70. When I bought it they did a kit for the E30 comprising a filter, the adapter and a useless bracket that I threw away. The actual filter that was supposed to come with the kit was a different one. I persuaded them to do a swap for the JR70 as it has the mounting neck at an angle allowing adjustment of the position of the filter relative to the AFM.

Cheers

Robin
Old 15th February 2008, 06:44
Enthusiast

RobDorey is on a distinguished road

If you're thinking of buying a filter for a E34, don't forget that the later E34s used M50 engines which is totally different to the M20 series, and used a different induction set up.
Old 15th February 2008, 07:24
Enthusiast

Thanks fo the tip, Rob.

Robin - I've scoured the Jetex site, and can't find anything marked as a JR70; I guess they must have changed their part numbers. Looks like I'll have to give them a call.
Old 15th February 2008, 07:29
Enthusiast

Quote:
Robin - I've scoured the Jetex site, and can't find anything marked as a JR70; I guess they must have changed their part numbers. Looks like I'll have to give them a call.
I measured it as well. The cone part of the filter is 140mm long. The diameter at the far end is 100mm. Can't remember the diameter at tother (larger end). The main reason that I chose it was that the spigot that fits it to the afm is at an angle to the base of the filter so rotating the filter varies its position making it easier to fit in amongst all the other bits around the engine.

I am pretty sure it is FC07005 about half way down this page

http://www.jetex.co.uk/website/conic...ty_30=&qty_31=

No idea why it is marked FR70. Don't forget you will also need the adapter as well.

Robin
Old 15th February 2008, 07:43
Enthusiast

Yeah, I saw that one and wondered if it was the one... I'll give them a call later on today. Thanks again!
Old 20th February 2008, 12:08
Enthusiast

Jetex cone filter arrived yesterday - very smart it looks too. Thanks for the tip Robin!

BTW - if anyone wants to know, the correct adaptor plate is the one marked BR01V in this PDF:

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/resour...RE_TOP_HAT.pdf