Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 6th February 2005, 09:27
Enthusiast

Ex-Biker is on a distinguished road
Default Best headlights for the 5exi?

I pass a 206 every morning on the way to work. Always with it's sidelights on. It is quite upsetting seeing it. Why? Because I have already bought a set of gti headlights for the 5exi.

No these are not the best looking lights for the car!

This 206 has 'Angel Eye' style lights. They are wicked!

A quick search on ebay and what do I find? Yep!

Buy now at £149 a pair.

Here's a pic. They do look kinda normal without the lights on though.

If anyone does get them, please don't tell me (unless you want to swap for some gti ones?)
Available from eBay
Old 6th February 2005, 13:20
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

Mark, be a daredevil and buy them. Tell the missus you sold the ones you've alread got on ebay for £150, she'll be impressed at what a wheeler dealer you are

Go for it, you're only going to build it once.

John

Madabout-Kitcars.com
Old 7th February 2005, 20:08
Enthusiast

tomboysexi is on a distinguished road
Default Too Late

Mark

I have a pair.

Yes they were expensive but if you cut out the body they fit perfectly and look the dogs.

I was lucky, the wife didn't know how much they cost. It was a real case of never mind the width feel the quality.

After that came the carbon fibre steering wheel and gear knob, she gave me some funny looks as they were more than double the lights.

One thing that I am now puzzled about.

My 420 ran fine. My EXi must have a boost gauge or so my son says, and a cheap one is all thats needed so I have now bought a Nomad and a turbo timer. I think that lights are great value in comparison.

Or have I been conned.

Regards to all builders special thanks to marlinturbo.

Trev
Old 8th February 2005, 18:32
Enthusiast

MikeN is on a distinguished road

Can someone clear this up for me. Is the light(s) in the photo the standard 206 light supplied by Marlin? If it isn't is it the GTI?

Finally Tomboysexi is this the light unit (as per photo) you bought and say was expensive? If so does it look good and how much and where?

So many questions and I haven't bought the ********* kit yet. Have paid the deposit to today on my garage to build it in!

Mike N.
Old 8th February 2005, 19:05
Enthusiast

Default Headlights How Much?

The photo is of the 'Angel Eyes' style. Not those that Marlin supply.

Can I just give a word of warning to all those considering the 5EXi.

It is a wonderful car and I am very satisfied with the way things have gone since picking up the chassis almost 12 months ago.

If you are an experienced builder or are a mechanic you will find the car very easy to work on. My problem was I was looking for a jigsaw, in other words buy all the parts and bolt together.

So everything that is non standard has cost me money, for example they footbrake pedle needs an alteration to ensure it does not catch on the steering column.

To a mechanic with the tools a simple job. For me, its find someone who can weld and do a decent job.

2 weks later and £40.00 here's your pedal.

I am not in a position to be able to reduce my costs, everything has come from Marlin, so with the lights package (apart from the headlights) the inner wings, the extra panel under the front and the door gloveboxes, carpets mats etc, I think I have spent some £9000.00 with them.

Then the donor, plus all the tools and bits and bobs, it's not a cheap project. I still have seats and seatbelts to go!

I have gone a little overboard on the steering wheel which is a snap off.

I also will be spraying the car, but more than likely after SVA.

As for the headlights they are in a box marked GEN3, I paid £149.99 for them off ebay but as I say they look soooo good.

I have also lashed out on the indiglo dials.

I also forked out on the Marlin loom for simplicity, but it's far from it. Check John's Marlinturbo site as my friend has been putting this together for me and I have supplied John with all the connections to help others.

One other thing, do not be put off. I have a 21 second video of my EXi starting up for the first time. The sound is incredible. Cant wait to get the car on the road

Well thats my lot.

Can I just welcome you Mike, to us happy band.

Regards Trev
Old 8th February 2005, 19:19
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

Trev,

I think your experience is fairly typical of not just the 5exi build but most kit car builds. Your heart and soul generally goes into building a kit car so modifications and improvements are inevitable along with a degree of fabrication, alterations and making it different where possible.

I bet if you were to use the Madabout build cost estimator it wouldn't be too far off from your final build price. It caused a bit of a stir when first introduced with some people saying it was 'way off, xxxx kit wouldn't cost that much!', it's only when building a kit do you realise how much they do actually cost.

Sounds like it's progressing nicely though.

Cheers, John

Madabout-Kitcars.com
Old 8th February 2005, 19:37
Enthusiast

MikeN is on a distinguished road

Thank You Trev for all the info. Thank you also for not pulling your punches as it were. A couple of questions if I may (please answer at leisure).

1. Did not all the extra things that you mention come in the 3 modules ? or did you purchase the chassis ect as and when you needed it?
I have budgeted £8267.00 (inc Vat) for the modules. the hood Hood, Seats and Mirrors extra. The door variant is I am told a whopping £1000 on top.

2. What donor car did you get and if I may ask how much did you pay for it. I am now just starting to look around and would appreciate some advise on how best to go about it.

3. Regarding the loom. Upon reflection wouldn't it be better for me to take the loom out of the donor car and use that? At least I wouldn't have to try and mate it up with something alien, or would I?

Concerning the welding. Have been reading the WKC build series on this, and noticed several parts that need welding, namely Pedal, steering column and wiper arm. Can you advise if anything else does as I was considering taking everything to a local welder to do as a job lot or might even have a go myself!.

Anyway would appreciate your coments and thoughts.

Best regards

Mike
Old 9th February 2005, 07:55
Enthusiast

Ex-Biker is on a distinguished road

Re: Lights

I am aware of 4 different headlights you can get for the 206.

1. Standard lights - noticable by the vertical lines on the lense.
2. GTi - clear lense and a built in fog light.
3. Projector lights - normally bought with a black surround that can be painted and 3 lights set into the plastic (I think) as per the 206.
4. Angel Eyes - so called because on sidelight they have a halo style glow. Originally designed and fitted to 5 series BMW's.

MikeN
Re: extra parts.

There are a few extras on the Marlin price list. inner wings and belly pan being one, along with the hood, some extra parts needed for the Turbo and a few other things.

You will always find something else to buy. eg Alloys, steering wheel, carpets, stereo etc.
Old 9th February 2005, 09:33
Enthusiast

Dan is on a distinguished road

I really like those angel eye head lamps. I'd like to see a pair fitted..
Old 9th February 2005, 17:10
Enthusiast

holgate86 is on a distinguished road
Default wiring loom

I have successfully used the donor loom, it came from a 4 year old rover 25. If the donor you are using is old I wouldn't risk it.
If you do go that route be sure to label every connection you remove which will make life a lot easier when ready to modify and install it. I reused original fuse boxes and basically cut out wiring that went to air bags, central locking and door electrics. It took about 5 hours of tedious work but once sorted was very easy to install. I had to lengthen and modify the odd wire but nothing too drastic.
I have used a different engine so the engine management system loom for that engine was interfaced. hth Brian.
Old 20th February 2005, 09:37
Enthusiast

Default In ANswer to MikeN

Hi Mike,

I will try to expand for you.

I Bought a K reg (92) 420 turbo from a guy in Kent, my son drove it for a week or so just to ensure all was well, that cost me £800.00.

When we checked the engine had a new clutch fitted and had no leaks or smoke.

Problem is that you can not use that model as a donor for ALL parts so we have ended up buying additional brakes and disks along with a Radiator.

So I would suggest you look at my posting about where I ask where people live. Many have used it to pass on info on the donor that should save you some dosh, too late for me though.

Regarding the loom I was ver foolish and thought if I bought everything from the manufacturer it would be easier than the car loom.

I have had a friend doing the Marlin Loom for me because it was just too confusing. I know that others have had auto electricians round to get them moving. In fact some of the earlier postings to this site should make you laugh.

So yes I think that sticking to the Rover loom should have been the way forward.

Last, by no means least and I want to make it clear that I have bought virtually everything from Marlin, including inner wings, skid pan, door pockets, eye level repeater lights, fuel pump, lighting pack excluding headlights, exhaust, breather pipes, body and all stages of chassis from Marlin. I still have seats and hood to go and I have spent well in excess of your budget figure.

I work hard for a living and did not win the lottery but as I say I thought it would be easier to get everything from one source. People say that I have paid through the nose, but I am happy with how the car looks so should I gripe.

If you have any engineering skills you will save a fortune. Even on your budget price!

Regards to all builders

Trev
Old 20th February 2005, 09:40
Enthusiast

Default One thing I Missed

Mike I forgot that my wife added to the final cost by buying a personalised number.

Keep your eyes peeled for J 77 Martin Richard Thomas