Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 11th June 2015, 21:35

ericholm is on a distinguished road
Default 250 SWB Newbie questions

Hi,

I am relatively new to the forum and want to get stuck into my first build. I have some 'newbie' questions that I am sure have all been asked before at some time or another, so apologies in advance if this is the case, so here goes:

Wire wheels
Whats the largest set I can use with stock suspension, that are readily available and have that cool spinner, for me the larger the better and don't care if low profile or larger profile, just wide, possibly wider on rear if it takes them?

Exhaust
On my Z3 3.0i there are 2 pipes running pretty much down the centre of the car then around 3/4 way along they divert off to one side into a large box (baffles?) and then I have 2 tailpipes sticking out on one side. To get an exhaust coming out both sides I assume one of the pipes will have to be re-routed, however where the 'new' pipe needs to come out there is the small matter of a large spare wheel holder, so I assume this has to go and appropriate mounts for a new exhaust are needed, Again I assume this will be a custom job? the 3.0i is a V6 and has a sort of gurgle currently and I want to know others view on this and what sound comes out with modification?

Hood
I want to keep my electric hood and have a convertible, I have seen the pictures of the stoneleigh red concept, can I fit a stock BMW hard top to this setup?

Insurance
List of companies that will insure, when to contact them? what to call it? what level of detail to mention when asked what mods? typical price to get quoted? any useful tips?

Finish of moldings
In what state are they supplied, what level of finishing is required, do they need filling, sanding, polishing, how much and to what level? I want them to fit correctly with need lines and will be plastic wrapping and not painting, so just need smooth finish. For me the less work on this the better as I am sure the panels have good shape from the molds.

Brake/Side vents
These look like they are integrated into the molds or are they detachable?

fuel cap re-position
Are there any limitations on where this can get moved to? it would be great to get it on top of rear wheel arch with one of the old filler caps

Transporting moldings
What size van do I need? how to keep them from getting destroyed/damaged in transit?

There must be something I have forgot from the list above

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks.
Available from eBay
Old 12th June 2015, 07:00

hurnleft is on a distinguished road

Hi Eric,

I'm sure more knowledgable folks will be along soon to answer your questions, but I'll put what I know.

If you wander through 'the Kebab' thread about my 250swb, you'll find pictures of my trying several sorts of wheels including different wires.
Also there is a section on fitting the fuel cap to the top of the wing in a molding that Chris can add.
The side vents are moulded in.
The finish is basic and sone some filling and removing flash lines would be required before wrapping.
Insurance - I use Classic Line and have done for nearly 20 years. Not the cheapest but always very helpful. You often get just what you pay for.

I don't know where you are but if you're anywhere near Norwich, Norfolk, you're welcome to come and look over mine if it helps. I also know a builder of stainless exhausts who can build you whatever you need.

Cheers, Bob.

Last edited by hurnleft; 12th June 2015 at 07:03..
Old 12th June 2015, 08:02

gas guzzler is on a distinguished road

I also use Classic line insurance, been very helpful, tried a few other companies and found it was like banging my head against a brick wall.
Have just done my petrol cap using an Aston style filler cap, moved it up onto the top of the wing. It's in 'Gas guzzlers Z300 build', bit fiddly but worth the effort.

Just on another note your 3.0i, I would have thought would be a straight six. Has a single pipe up until the rear box. I've kept mine as original but taken the spare wheel gubbins out which has left a fair amount of room up there for twin pipes. Been a few fabrications done to a couple of cars on here if you look through some of the threads.

I used a Merc sprinter to pick up my shell, loads of room, although a flat bed box van would be easier as it doesn't have the wheel arches in the way.

Read through as many threads as you can, I found a lot of helpful tips before I started which makes life easier once you do start.

Good luck
Andy
Old 12th June 2015, 09:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurnleft View Post
Hi Eric,

I'm sure more knowledgable folks will be along soon to answer your questions, but I'll put what I know.

If you wander through 'the Kebab' thread about my 250swb, you'll find pictures of my trying several sorts of wheels including different wires.
Also there is a section on fitting the fuel cap to the top of the wing in a molding that Chris can add.
The side vents are moulded in.
The finish is basic and sone some filling and removing flash lines would be required before wrapping.
Insurance - I use Classic Line and have done for nearly 20 years. Not the cheapest but always very helpful. You often get just what you pay for.

I don't know where you are but if you're anywhere near Norwich, Norfolk, you're welcome to come and look over mine if it helps. I also know a builder of stainless exhausts who can build you whatever you need.

Cheers, Bob.
Thanks Bob! very helpful and great to read through your kebab thread, will watch the progress as you go, I can see there has been so much thought put in on the wheels. I'm In Milton Keynes, not a million miles away and a nice drive out in a Z3 on a sunny day so might PM you. Pleased to see the fuel filler re-position, that's exactly what I had in mind. Cheers.
Old 12th June 2015, 09:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by gas guzzler View Post
I also use Classic line insurance, been very helpful, tried a few other companies and found it was like banging my head against a brick wall.
Have just done my petrol cap using an Aston style filler cap, moved it up onto the top of the wing. It's in 'Gas guzzlers Z300 build', bit fiddly but worth the effort.

Just on another note your 3.0i, I would have thought would be a straight six. Has a single pipe up until the rear box. I've kept mine as original but taken the spare wheel gubbins out which has left a fair amount of room up there for twin pipes. Been a few fabrications done to a couple of cars on here if you look through some of the threads.

I used a Merc sprinter to pick up my shell, loads of room, although a flat bed box van would be easier as it doesn't have the wheel arches in the way.

Read through as many threads as you can, I found a lot of helpful tips before I started which makes life easier once you do start.

Good luck
Andy
Many thanks Andy, very useful and am reading like crazy, so much to take in! , there are definitely 2 pipes under there:
Old 12th June 2015, 09:33

gas guzzler is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericholm View Post
Many thanks Andy, very useful and am reading like crazy, so much to take in! , there are definitely 2 pipes under there:
Okay sorry about that, well that'll make your life easier getting twin tailpipes out the back, still a straight six though

Actually thinking about it you wouldn't have to fabricate, as you have twin pipes you may be able to use the rear pipe section from a Z3 M and they sound gorgeous. Mind you knowing BMW it would probably be cheaper to get someone to make you a rear exhaust. Possibly a secondhand or after market system.

Last edited by gas guzzler; 12th June 2015 at 10:06.. Reason: another thought
Old 12th June 2015, 12:50

No Worries, maybe there are variants of the 3.0 exhaust

I'll have a look at options but the Z3M is a good one.

Thanks.
Old 12th June 2015, 14:15

Danny_HUFC is on a distinguished road

Ive got a 2.8 z3 and it has 2 pipes from the cat but then goes into 1 rear backbox.
Old 12th June 2015, 16:48

mobilerobbie is on a distinguished road
Default Z3M exhaust......

won't fit, since the Z3M has NO sparewheel area and all others do....

So you need to get rid of the sparewheel area, weld in a solid plate, use heatshielding from another Z-3 (if you want it to be the same on both sides) and make your own custom exhaust...

Thats what i did....

as for wheels: I have had made 17 inch chrome wires on hubs.
Old 12th June 2015, 17:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilerobbie View Post
won't fit, since the Z3M has NO sparewheel area and all others do....

So you need to get rid of the sparewheel area, weld in a solid plate, use heatshielding from another Z-3 (if you want it to be the same on both sides) and make your own custom exhaust...

Thats what i did....

as for wheels: I have had made 17 inch chrome wires on hubs.
Hi,

That's great, exactly what I need to do exhaust wise, please can you provide any underside pics? and I like the sound of 17" Chrome wires on hubs, would you be able to tell me where did you got them from and how much?

Thanks.
Old 12th June 2015, 18:31

Default Wheels, steering wheel and exhaust

Please see attached pics

Note; the tyre on the rim was just for showing the height of the tyre, I use 245/55-17 on the rear and 225/55-17 front
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (13.8 KB, 39 views)
Old 12th June 2015, 18:34

And another
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (29.8 KB, 33 views)
Old 12th June 2015, 18:35

Steering wheel 15"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (15.8 KB, 27 views)
Old 12th June 2015, 18:40

Thanks for images, that looks like a left hand drive though from the steering wheel, love the wheels, where did you source them from the US?
Old 12th June 2015, 18:43

My steering wheel is already on, chrome look stereo in the post and dash mounted internal mirror will finish it all off:

Old 12th June 2015, 18:45

I had the wheels made in China