Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 24th June 2015, 10:04

Danny_HUFC is on a distinguished road

Get yourself to the scrap yard and pull a few interior vents off a few cars and see if you can modify them. If I remember rightly the old ford cougars have round vents. There will be any amounts if them in scrap yard heaven
Old 24th June 2015, 18:55

a big scary monster is on a distinguished road

Have a look on eBay Toyota supra vents, they look very period and you can get chrome rings. Some Audi's have round vents as does the Honda jazz. Audi TT has a scalloped aluminium surround . Paste this into eBay 331589169922 its a pair of rolls Royce air intakes
Ed

Last edited by a big scary monster; 24th June 2015 at 19:05..
Old 24th June 2015, 20:55

ericholm is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the suggestions!!

I like the look of the ebay item 252004711585.

However there are a few thoughts:

1. Im not sure of the diameter of the units for the space left in the Z3 centre vent hole
2. The existing unit is profiled with the horizontal plane protruding at the centre and recessing top and bottom which is not a problem for any new vent type, but the dash part to the left and the right has this profile, meaning a straight piece of trim holding the new vents will be recessed in the original hole.

so 1, if they fit then 2 how to get them looking like they are part of the dash design, boxing the vent section out with the sweeping curves will look odd, profiling the vent fitting trim is the best way to go but will have draw backs in that the vent wont be flush with the trim.

So ideally I need to find small diameter, chrome ringed, round but profiled vent......I think a visit to the scrap yard is needed.......

oh and of course they have to all work once fitted

Thanks.
Old 24th June 2015, 22:10

Used paintshop to see what it might look like with audi RS3 round vents (ok Im no graphical software genius)

before

After

Is it worth the significant effort?...I'm not sold, thinking that spraying the originals silver would have better effect...ummmmm

Old 25th June 2015, 07:11

To be honnest the z3 interior is pretty much a z3 interior and if anyone has ever seen a z3 before they are going to know its a z3!

If I was to build a SWB or the like, I'd be getting onto Chris for a replica dash.....
Old 25th June 2015, 07:16

On my mx250 build on the mx5, i did away with all the center controls and relocated them behind te seats. Maybe thats te way to go?....

Old 25th June 2015, 07:22

a big scary monster is on a distinguished road

I see your point, maybe just 2 spaced appropriately with the panel covered in the same fabric you used below it?
I do like the flat panel in curved recess look though. A curved to suit stainless/aluminium/chrome sliding cover with a little tang handle would look the part to cover the originals, although it's a lot of work to get it rite, not sure its worth the effort unless you just had one vent under it and used the space gained to loose the 6 modern switches from the console? Like Danny did on his MX and WCA did on his? http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...893610&alt=web
That type of cover, or how about 2 of those mounted side by side on a trimmed panel modified to be air vents, I'd like that challenge! Ed.
I would also continue your new trimming material up onto the dash pad and completely rip off WCA's idea. It does look good in the flesh. If you can't stitch mark it all up and post it me and il post it you back with a French hem seam on. Or take it to the cobblers they will probably charge £5 to hem it.
Ha ha Danny added a post as I was typing mine, saved you rummaging through his thread.

Last edited by a big scary monster; 25th June 2015 at 07:41.. Reason: Laughing that Danny read my mind.
Old 25th June 2015, 09:04

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

If you want to be a bit more radical with your remodelling, here are photos of my interior and the frame that was built.

I basically gently unthreaded all the wiring and relocated the switches to the centre console mounted as far back as I could push them. I then had the framework shown in the picture made and a fake panel put in front of the switches.

Top of the door linings simply glued over what was there already, you can even see the speaker panel still showing through which irritated me at the time but now I don't really notice.
Old 25th June 2015, 09:08

Just found a picture of my first attempt when I was playing with ideas. The idea worked but the fit and finish shows why I got help with the finished article.
Old 25th June 2015, 16:37

inspired/shamed by this thread I quickly pulled the vents out of my car and resprayed them a couple of times. They look so much better now. Still plastic looking but shiny silver plastic instead of flat greyish plastic

Old 25th June 2015, 16:44

OMG!!!!!!

FANTASTIC.......what a great finish......

Ok 2 things:

1. I feel responsible for the effort you have undertaken and sorry for that, it was not intended.
2. They look amazing! please tell us your process, I want to replicate exactly those.

Thanks
Old 25th June 2015, 21:34

1 Thanks. Needed doing
2 Spray alcohol to clean what was there. Wipe off with a paper towel. three coats of thin paint with 15 minutes between.

I can check what paint it was but I bought Chrome Silver at B&Q so you can probably find something similar
Old 25th June 2015, 22:12

y cymro is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldClassAccident View Post
inspired/shamed by this thread I quickly pulled the vents out of my car and resprayed them a couple of times. They look so much better now. Still plastic looking but shiny silver plastic instead of flat greyish plastic

That does look much better.
I tried not to say anything but please adjust the nuts on your switches so the flats are aligned.

I miss the clock though
Old 25th June 2015, 22:22

8 Valve Ed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by y cymro View Post
That does look much better.
I tried not to say anything but please adjust the nuts on your switches so the flats are aligned.

I miss the clock though
Might be better to fit round nuts? Else some may think the verticals should be aligned, others the horizontals... I have to say I hadn't noticed but now I have...
Old 29th June 2015, 08:54

Not part of making the interior look 'older' but this weekend I pulled my seat our to replace bushes that make the seat move slightly on acceleration and braking, and is really annoying. Bought Bushes off ebay from Czech Rep, had to sand them down a little to make them fit, but all in now and no more movement! Yay!, took around 1.5 hours to do in total as a leisurely pace following z3 forum instructions, heres some pics:

Old 29th June 2015, 15:35

Chrome Indicator stalk ends and chrome effect door handle surrounds added:

Old 29th June 2015, 17:24

Where did you get the indicator stalks from?

Are they easy to swap over?

Also, where did you get the door handle surrounds?
Old 29th June 2015, 19:41

Stalks from:

uwf-Interieur
Zu den Bettern 13
35619 Braunfels
Tel. 06472-831899
Fax: 06472-831901

Surrounds from: http://www.fmw-tuning.de/BMW/3er-E36...6-Z3::853.html

I have 3 stalks (wipers, indicator and cruise control). I only put the new ones on wipers and indicators as need to know what cruise control movements do what.

Wipers one was easy just twist off with a bit of force applied . Indicator one was more difficult as have switch for BC, which I have removed and replaced with analogue clock, so I totally destroyed it to get it off, snipped the wires running down its centre and secured in steering trim capping each wire off so I don't get any shorts.

Both stalks have a grub screw fitment, so really easy to put on.

Cheers,
Old 23rd July 2015, 13:13

Ok, so not really classified as interior, but started to work on exterior parts as kit arriving in 1 week, fingers crossed....

Spinners onto alloys

Chroming of side window support
before...

after...

Re-Chroming of windscreen surround as it was faded...
Old 23rd July 2015, 19:14

hurnleft is on a distinguished road

Hi Andy,
Wheels look very nice, spinners work a treat.
Could you slow down a bit though as it's making my progress look very bad!

Cheers, Bob.