Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 2nd February 2009, 15:13
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

Ah, yes - I'd forgotten about that

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...7&postcount=72

You've sorted out the door capping there - was there any particular diameter pipe the insulation was for? The outside diameter would need to be 50mm, I guess.

And how are you planing on doing the dash surround? Similar idea at the ends to stop it collapsing, I assume, but what about the centre?

Sorry - too many questions!
Old 2nd February 2009, 15:57
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOldOne View Post
Was there any particular diameter pipe the insulation was for? The outside diameter would need to be 50mm, I guess.
I think it was 15mm pipe but I just went to B&Q with a tape measure and picked insulation that was 50mm diameter.

Quote:
And how are you planing on doing the dash surround? Similar idea at the ends to stop it collapsing, I assume, but what about the centre?
Yes - same at the ends. The insulation is sufficiently strong that it doesn't need support anywhere else. One end of the door capping is cut at 90deg the other is cut at 45deg so it meets (in theory anyway) the dash capping neatly.

I stuck the foam to the thin ply with an impact adhesive for the door capping but I think to make life easier I am going to use double sided carpet tape for the dash capping. I should be doing it sometime this week if you want to wait and see if it works!

Robin
Old 8th February 2009, 16:14
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

the padded foam surround is between 4.2 and 4.5cm all they way round, the end bits are a bit more cubby
Old 28th February 2009, 17:55
Enthusiast

Well I am making fairly rapid progress atm (no choice!) I finally got the mobile welder in to weld up the seatbelt support bar that I made - so now I can reassemble the back of the car. The dashboard is complete - although not fitted or tested yet. I wasn't happy with the original one I made (a few scratches and other probs) so I ordered a new blank from Europa and started again. This time the protective covering is staying on until it is all working!

A view of the back showing the piece of ply I bonded to it to increase the strength.

And from the front...

I used ETB instruments in the end (same as GOO) but without the shiny bezels! (Wouldn't have looked right with the machine turned dash). I didn't use the HUGE rev counter as I was worried it would make the dash too weak.
Old 28th February 2009, 19:16
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

That's looking good and I like the good idea of stiffening the back.
Probably well worth the effort to get a quality finish.
Old 28th February 2009, 19:26
Enthusiast

jeremy is on a distinguished road
Default dash

Looking good Robin.I am redoing my dash as i am not happy with first try.Am using whats called Diboard-fibreglass centre sith outer thin aluminium both sides-3mm diameter-used in sign making.(and cheap).! Looking at your dash i wonder if have you used spacer tubes to lower your column, and if so by how much-the depth from top of dash to cut out for column looks deeper than mine with 70mm tubes.
Old 1st March 2009, 16:07
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
Looking good Robin.I am redoing my dash as i am not happy with first try.Am using whats called Diboard-fibreglass centre sith outer thin aluminium both sides-3mm diameter-used in sign making.(and cheap).! Looking at your dash i wonder if have you used spacer tubes to lower your column, and if so by how much-the depth from top of dash to cut out for column looks deeper than mine with 70mm tubes.
I didn't use the tubes at all so my steering column is mounted the other way up. It means the ign key is more difficult to access but I wasn't keen on the tubes idea.

Robin
Old 1st March 2009, 17:59
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinClan View Post
I didn't use the tubes at all so my steering column is mounted the other way up. It means the ign key is more difficult to access but I wasn't keen on the tubes idea.

Robin
Me neither, I used an adapter plate - some photos here: http://www.msportster.co.uk/detail.asp?cat=7&offset=108

Old 14th March 2009, 19:17
Enthusiast

Car moved under its own power for the first time today. Boy - is the clutch vicious. Cat was impressed as well....

Robin
Old 14th March 2009, 19:51
Enthusiast

another Sportster obsessed cat

We took the pedal box out the Sportster today to sort the clutch, will be trying the lower hole to get more pedal movement and a Wilwood master. The whole box is getting a work over with thicker metal and triangulation!
Old 14th March 2009, 22:10
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinClan View Post
Car moved under its own power for the first time today. Boy - is the clutch vicious. Cat was impressed as well....

Robin
Another Sportster complete with SVC plastic bags, just like mine!
And the car looks like its enjoying the warm spring sunshine and just raring to go out for its first trip in the countryside!
My clutch plate was pretty sharp at the beginning, you'll soon get used to it!

You just need about 50 metres of clip on trim to finish it!!
Old 15th March 2009, 16:01
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

She's looking good basking in the sun. I particularly like the wing mounted indicators. I may have to nick that idea.

Remember, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Honest.

Any pics of the dash padding yet?
Old 15th March 2009, 16:23
Enthusiast

timbo is on a distinguished road

Hi Robin
Its looking good! On your dash capping, did you just secure the bolts to the ply with epoxy? Is this strong enough? I'm probably going to make my own capping but a bit smaller.
Cheers
Tim
Old 15th March 2009, 16:51
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo View Post
Hi Robin
Its looking good! On your dash capping, did you just secure the bolts to the ply with epoxy? Is this strong enough? I'm probably going to make my own capping but a bit smaller.
Cheers
Tim
Exactly. I made the holes so that the M5 screws were a tight fit and then just put a good blob of araldite under each one. All the araldite needs to do is to stop the screws turning when you bolt it through the dash. At the moment the trim isn't covered so I am leaving it off for the MOT. Once that is out of the way I can start the SVA bits in anger.

Robin
Old 15th March 2009, 16:54
Enthusiast

Quote:
She's looking good basking in the sun. I particularly like the wing mounted indicators. I may have to nick that idea.

Remember, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Honest.

Any pics of the dash padding yet?
On hold at the moment while I do the necessary for the MOT. Once that is out of the way I will return to the trim and SVA bits.

Robin
Old 19th March 2009, 07:42
Enthusiast

Another day off and another bunch of jobs done yesterday. Rear wings now fitted and lights wired up. Drivers seat fitted - and I can report that the clutch, although heavy, works much better if your backside is not sliding on the floor lol.

I have booked an MOT for Saturday - gulp. Now where's that list of things left to do....

Robin
Old 19th March 2009, 07:47
Enthusiast

Good luck with the MOT and enjoy your first drive!
Old 19th March 2009, 08:13
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
Good luck with the MOT and enjoy your first drive!
Same here, good luck and have fun
Old 8th April 2009, 19:00
Enthusiast

Well almost finished the interior at least as far as it needs to go for the SVA. I don't have the Marlin trim kit so I am making it up as I go along. Fitting he carpet is a real b*gger. In the end I made the tunnel carpet from two bits. Mind you I made life difficult for myself as I ran the electrics accross the top of the tunnel so I have had to make the carpet removable. Here are a couple of pics (no time to update the website atm.

Also new tyre for space saver arrived today. It's about 1" smaller than my actual tyres but I think it will do.

Robin
Old 8th April 2009, 19:06
Enthusiast

Nice, funnily enough I've just come from chopping up bits of cardboard in the garage for a centre console - its looking really good